Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Anyone watching TURN on AMC (great history of first spies)

Great show is on AMC now about our first spy ring. Shows just how the colonialists suffered, how British officers just moved into their homes and took everything. That revolution had zero chance of winning but Americans fought on til they won.

We have no idea how they sufferred. They'd throw up if they came back for a look and saw this pussy government.

THOSE COLONIALISTS WERE SUCH TOUGH MOTHER FUCKERS, THEY'D BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF JUST FOR TAXING THEIR BREAKFEAST BEVERAGE WHICH WASN'T TEA.

DENNIS MILLER

Blog Entries

Re: Anyone watching TURN on AMC (great history of first spies)

I'm watching it because I love old history, but I wonder if the show might not last long. From an entertainment value, it can be pretty tough for a casual watcher to follow. There's a lot of criscrossing stories which can jumble someone up. Certainly, it's no Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead as far as entertainment value goes, in my mind.

That said, I love the history aspect of the show. The closing scene last night was GUT-WRENCHING, where the spy was trying to convince his father to "lead the townspeople" in not backing down against a request from the occupying British to use headstones to fortify their cannon. Instead, the father gives a religious toned speech about how God required sacrifice and so that was what they needed, before he picked up a shovel and unearthed his own son's tombstone, moving the rest of the town to pick up shovels and unearth their own family gravestones as well. Meanwhile, the British leader in the town notes to his fellow officer that by using gravestones, it will make it more difficult for any Rebels in the town to fire on their own gravestones. Then he notes that is how you win a town, by "winning their hearts and minds".
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

LOL - They lost the town long ago by taxing the hell out of them. You're right. It is kind of boring but great history.

Did you know, here in Baltimore there were a lot of British sympathizers, Torries, because the King gave them MD as a refuge colony for persecuted Catholics. Even today, most of the people in Maryland are Catholics.

Then the PUritans ran them out but then they left and the Catholics came back. Then Edgard Allan Poe's grandfather drove them out and Wash appointed him as the General solicitor in charge of procurring weapons.

Benjamin Franklin scored a weapons deal with King of France and got them here in time for the Battle of Saratoga. Poe coordinated the efforts for Wash with the French agent who got them here.

The Battle of Saratoga was the turning point of the war as the British didn't expect that much fire power. They never saw it before.

As far as the gravesites, way back when, the British would conquor someone and dig up all the graves and desecreated the remains in front of their decendents just to make a point. That was brought out in Mel Gibson's movie about Braveheart. They desecrated his parents. He and his wife were married secretly because by law the local barrons could be the first one to sleep with the bride on her wedding night. That's what the Scots fought against.

Of course Im not one to talk about desecrated graves as I tried to poop on Irsay's grave in Indy. I was with Mista T and another guy but there were cops all over the place. We never got out of the car. They're always expecting vandalism to the when the Ravens are in town-lol.

British also introduced germ warfare during the French and Indian war making peace with the indians and giving them blankets with germs all over them. Everyone started dying. They also introduced scalping. The Europeans did it to the indians first but they were fast learners and returned the favor.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Big fan of TurN. AMC in general is really impressive with the shows they are doing.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Accents are b/s, though. American East Coast accents were firmly established at the time of the Revolution. The garbled Scots Irish/North British accent most of the actors seem to be aspiring to is silly and inaccurate.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

I've recently seen several TV shows which touched on Revoloutionary War spying, but not this one. Anyone know when it will be rebroadcast?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

I'm wondering the same thing. Missed the last couple of shows as I was out . I recorded one but forgot the others. I'll check the website. They will be on again for sure. That's one thing about cable. When you miss the show they will repeat it often and repeatidly.

Great point about the accents. Hollywood often misses the details for accuracy.

BTW, I just saw a great flick on Netflix called EMPORER about MacArthur ruling Japan after they surrendered and he actually replaced the real emporer as emporer-lol.

For anyone who missed HOUSE OF CARDS on Netflix can catch it on Xfinity. The two seasons are on there too. It was filmed in Baltimore. He was supposed to live in Georgetown of DC but it was filmed in Bolton HIll.

The first scene was filmed in Bel Air where they have a victory party the prez is celebrating. It was funny. The room looked so familiar but I couldn't place it. Drove me nuts. I looked it up and found out it was filmed in Bel Air in the mansion where my nephew just got married and had a wedding reception. My sister's friend was in the movie and said Kevin Spacy is a nice cool guy, nothing like the monster he portrayed in the film.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-18-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm watching it now for tonight's program and the commercial says next Sunday there will be a TURN marathon starting at 1:30. Every episode will be on from the first thru the newest one next Sun at 9 pm.

So get your DVRs ready and set them for the AMC Channel.

Blog Entries

Tonight's episode showed the prison ships. US captives were put on ships and many were never seen again. When epidemics broke out the British simply sunk the ships. Tonight's show gave a glimpse of what Americans suffered to start the country. We are so fortunate.

Andy Jackson refused to polish the officer's boots and he slapped Andy's face a sword giving him a life long scar when he was A POW. He felt he didn't have to do it as a POW and it was insulting. That bull headness help shaped the country as President of the US and fighting the British as a General and hero at the Battle of New Orleans. His mother agreed to go on a prison ship to nurse the wounded and died of small pox epidemic.

Someone tried to shoot Andy as President after closing the national bank by a guy who claimed to lose all his money that was in it. Actually, the gun mis-fired and Davey Crockett who just happened to be there jumped on the shooter and wrestled him down. They blamed the mis-fire on the extreme heat in DC.

Over 100 years later JFK was also shot after he signed an executive order limiting the Federal Reserve Bank. One of LBJs early acts was to sign an executive order rescinding Kennedy's EO, and Lincoln was shot after he messed with the banks. He said I am fighting two great armies. The Southern Army in front of me and the banks behind me.

Alexander Hamilton, a father of the country, co-author of The Federalist Papers and father of the American banking system died in a duel when he was shot by Aaron Burr.

Freedom is expensive.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-19-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Blog Entries

This Sun is the season finale as they're going to hang the minister on trumped up attempted murder charges or will they. Looks like the calvary is on the way.

They rigged his trial of course by pulling the bullet they pulled out of the guy's body and stuff it into the minister's musket only it didn't fit the barrel but they're still gonna hang him anyway or try to.

What an exciiting series. Last Sun AMC shoed every episode from 1:30 til midnight including the most recent so I have them all.

Man, I hope they get those officers. Great acting.

Blog Entries

I had been sort've wavering on it, but the last two episodes were fantastic. Whenever you do a show based on historical events, it's hard to really have a cliffhanger or "shocking" development...but the final bit of the finale was a big shock, even knowing that there was no way the spy would get found out or anything.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Exactly but the spy was discovered by the British soldier living in his house. Culper's wife discovered his secret papers and burned them and was yelling at him being a traitor and adulterer when the Brit walked in. Then Culper shot him and then the wife wanted to save her husband saying we have to burn the house with the body in it and say mercenaries did it.

It was chilling. Culper was going to quit being a spy for Washington but changed his mind at end. He said tell Wash I sign all my letters as Culper. The town was raided and they saved the preacher's life but one guy was hanged and the old man was shot before British reinforcements came to secure the town.

The town's name was Seatucket, NY which was a very important place during the Revolutionary War and the Culper Spy Ring really existed.

In fact, it was the Culper ring that discovered Benedict Arnold's plans for treason and prevented West Point from being taken by the British. The Hudson River was a supply route for Washington's army and the British would have been able to control the hudson and disrupt supplies.

I wonder if that story will be in season 2. CLICK ON LINK AND NOTE THE PIC OF THE LEDGER. THAT WAS THE SAME TYPE OF LEDGER USED IN THE SHOW LAST NIGHT WITH THE NAMES AND NUMBERS.

http://www.culperspyring.com/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-09-2014 at 08:07 AM.