Blog Entries

Ravens picked as bounce-back team of 2014

That's what half a panel of 6 so called experts say over on nfl.com. They also gave nod to Squeelers, Bears and Giants. Charlie Casserly, former GM, really loves the Ravens moves and has the best chance of going to the SB of the teams he listed.

“I think three non-playoff participants from last season have a shot at taking part in postseason play this time around: Baltimore, Arizona and Washington,” Casserly wrote. “All three teams have QBs that can get them to the playoffs. I don't see any of them being good enough to win the Super Bowl, but May's draft could make each better. If forced to choose one, I think Baltimore has the best shot. The Ravens have a good QB – and the best balance between offense and defense of the three teams listed.”

Daniel Jeremiah: Baltimore appears primed to rebound in 2014
    “The Baltimore Ravens immediately come to mind. Last year was an adjustment period after the departures of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, among others. I see the defense enjoying a bounce-back season, especially if the Ravens can address the second safety spot (alongside Matt Elam), giving them a potent enough back end to compete with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Co. in the AFC,” Jeremiah wrote. “I expect Joe Flacco to play much better under new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. Between free-agent acquisition Steve Smith, a healthy Dennis Pitta and Torrey Smith,

Elsewhere on same site, Unitas voted the greatest QB beating out Montana. Baltimore Colts faithful figured in some heavy voting.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-ce35e095e457
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-09-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Re: Ravens picked as bounce-back team of 2014

I agree with the "experts." On a somewhat related note, on nfl.com Gil Brandt selected Brandon Williams as a player who could make a significant second-year jump. I agree with this as well; he has all the tools.

Blog Entries

I think our offense will easily be in the 11/12 range given what we have now. Daniels and Pitta will be terrorizing the middle while Steve Smith I think will quickly become that chain mover, quick hit on first down type guy. Torrey and Jacoby stretching defenses and Marlon continuing what he did last year. Add in another from this deep wr class. The running game should easily be improved.

My concern is more on the defensive side. Crossing fingers that Stewart or a draft pick can hold up their end of the bargain at FS, and we still need CB help. Jackson and Brown were both 5th round picks. A lot of hope from the fan base without much to go on. I'd be much more comfortable with them as the 4 and 5 respectively. We really need to invest via a higher pick, or take a look at the current FA's or later cuts. Really wish we would've taken a look at Wilson but can understand why we didn't, he's not a press guy. But theirs still a couple guys right now that could effectively be our nickel corner. A effective pass rush will help the corners and we have Suggs, Doom, Simon, maybe a draft pick like Barr.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I think our offense will easily be in the 11/12 range given what we have now. Daniels and Pitta will be terrorizing the middle while Steve Smith I think will quickly become that chain mover, quick hit on first down type guy. Torrey and Jacoby stretching defenses and Marlon continuing what he did last year. Add in another from this deep wr class. The running game should easily be improved.

My concern is more on the defensive side. Crossing fingers that Stewart or a draft pick can hold up their end of the bargain at FS, and we still need CB help. Jackson and Brown were both 5th round picks. A lot of hope from the fan base without much to go on. I'd be much more comfortable with them as the 4 and 5 respectively. We really need to invest via a higher pick, or take a look at the current FA's or later cuts. Really wish we would've taken a look at Wilson but can understand why we didn't, he's not a press guy. But theirs still a couple guys right now that could effectively be our nickel corner. A effective pass rush will help the corners and we have Suggs, Doom, Simon, maybe a draft pick like Barr.
    There are so many variables, but it all begins with the trenches, which we lost last season.
    Our OLine simply was horrible...that will change even if we go with what we have now.
    The right coaches (we hope) are here for all that to change.
    The thing we don't know, and hopefully the coaches know, how good Jensen and Wagner are right now. That is the key for the OLine. That may decide if we address the OLine in the 1st or 2nd round.
    The defense needs to get more pressure and stop the run. Both things they didn't do.
    And to look back, we couldn't stop anyone in the 4th quarter.
    Add in another runningback for the new offense...I believe this team does get back in the hunt.

These are the glaring needs and changes that must happen and can happen.
    Everyone can see it and it appears our coaches do too.
    This draft will be extra interesting to see who falls to us and whether we actually pick them.
    I would not put it past Oz to drop back and pick up more picks though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    There are so many variables, but it all begins with the trenches, which we lost last season.
    Our OLine simply was horrible...that will change even if we go with what we have now.
    The right coaches (we hope) are here for all that to change.
    The thing we don't know, and hopefully the coaches know, how good Jensen and Wagner are right now. That is the key for the OLine. That may decide if we address the OLine in the 1st or 2nd round.
    The defense needs to get more pressure and stop the run. Both things they didn't do.
    And to look back, we couldn't stop anyone in the 4th quarter.
    Add in another runningback for the new offense...I believe this team does get back in the hunt.

These are the glaring needs and changes that must happen and can happen.
    Everyone can see it and it appears our coaches do too.
    This draft will be extra interesting to see who falls to us and whether we actually pick them.
    I would not put it past Oz to drop back and pick up more picks though.
    Ravens have already said that will be hard to do this year because a lot of teams will try to trade down following Ozzie's blue print for success and because this draft is deep. Teams will try to add more bodies. In 8 trades on draft day, Oz traded down 5 times and up 3 times and went to 6 straight POs and the SB trophy.

Bisciotti expects them to stand pat and take the BAA which is looking more and more what they will do with all these acquisitions. Oz can simply take the BAA be it a FS, WR, RT, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post

Yea our offense (with the expected additions via the draft) has the potential to be vicious.

Don't forget about Hamilton in the pass rushing department. He was showing real moves in the pre season...he kind of reminds me of James Harrison. We don't need him to be a starter just a rotational player.

My concern is also, on the back end of our D. Reason why I think Pryor in Round 1 makes the most sense. My dream draft scenario:

1. Calvin Pryor
    2. Receiver
    3. Pierre Desir
    3 comp. Terrance West
    Pick up 4th (trade down somewhere and pick up this pick) - CJ Fiedorowicz
    4 comp. OLB
    4 comp. Justin Ellis
    5 comp. OT
    6. BPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Yea our offense (with the expected additions via the draft) has the potential to be vicious.

Don't forget about Hamilton in the pass rushing department. He was showing real moves in the pre season...he kind of reminds me of James Harrison. We don't need him to be a starter just a rotational player.

My concern is also, on the back end of our D. Reason why I think Pryor in Round 1 makes the most sense. My dream draft scenario:

1. Calvin Pryor
    2. Receiver
    3. Pierre Desir
    3 comp. Terrance West
    Pick up 4th (trade down somewhere and pick up this pick) - CJ Fiedorowicz
    4 comp. OLB
    4 comp. Justin Ellis
    5 comp. OT
    6. BPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See I'm not feeling Pryor. He just isn't that free roaming FS we need. Honestly HaHa isn't either but he's more of a FS type than Pryor. Couple guys are pretty big on Ward in the 2nd saying he's more rangy. After looking at highlight reels I would agree. But than again everyone looks good on their 3 min highlights on YouTube lol.

But in all right now our nickle corner and FS are pretty big question marks given who we have to play in the AFC. You could also throw in interior pass rush but I'm betting BWilliams steps up big time this year.

Blog Entries

The issue with Ward is he's so good, he won't be there for our 2nd round pick. Should be gone in the Top half of Round 2.

Also, Charlie Casserly always seems to love us. He almost always has a positive take on the moves Ozzie makes. Probably because, from his own experience as a GM, he can see just how right Ozzie plays it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!