Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Hawkins is a Brown-Bengals don't match Andrew Hawkins' offer sheet

Hate to see the little feller go. He was clutch when healthy.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blog...ision/6566523/
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Re: Hawkins is a Brown-Bengals don't match Andrew Hawkins' offer sheet

Hate to say it CC, but it looks like Mike Brown is up to his old tricks. Collins, Johnson, Ghee, Harrison and now Hawkins lost. Don't know who they wanted to keep from that group. Certainly Collins and Johnson had value to them. One LB I never heard of added. Is there a plan here or is Brown just trying to barely stay above the cap floor while everyone else is spending close to the limit? They cut Cook too. What kind of a C was he for you guys? As you may have heard the Ravens might have an opening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    Hate to say it CC, but it looks like Mike Brown is up to his old tricks. Collins, Johnson, Ghee, Harrison and now Hawkins lost. Don't know who they wanted to keep from that group. Certainly Collins and Johnson had value to them. One LB I never heard of added. Is there a plan here or is Brown just trying to barely stay above the cap floor while everyone else is spending close to the limit? They cut Cook too. What kind of a C was he for you guys? As you may have heard the Ravens might have an opening.
    OTOH maybe the Bengals are being patient and cautious (like Ozzie usually is). Perhaps these were players they didn't necessarily want to keep. They won the division last year, and are probably favored to do so again... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    OTOH maybe the Bengals are being patient and cautious (like Ozzie usually is). Perhaps these were players they didn't necessarily want to keep. They won the division last year, and are probably favored to do so again... Bc
    I agree with this. Look at that group: Collins was another Tony Pashos (long time backup, has one good starting year in contract year), Michael Johnson is good but they have Margus Hunt on the roster ready to step in for him, Ghee wasn't a top CB, Harrison was washed up. Hawkins was good, but the offer sheet Cleveland gave him was pretty ridiculous. Not impossible to retain, but more fiscally responsible to let him go and rebuild.

now, where I WILL agree with the other poster is that Cincy only tendered him with the Right of First Refusal tender. For only a few hundred thousand more, they would've gotten a draft pick for him. That said, they are in line for a good deal of comp picks right now. At least 3 by my count. That's a hallmark Ozzie move.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I agree with this. Look at that group: Collins was another Tony Pashos (long time backup, has one good starting year in contract year), Michael Johnson is good but they have Margus Hunt on the roster ready to step in for him, Ghee wasn't a top CB, Harrison was washed up. Hawkins was good, but the offer sheet Cleveland gave him was pretty ridiculous. Not impossible to retain, but more fiscally responsible to let him go and rebuild.

now, where I WILL agree with the other poster is that Cincy only tendered him with the Right of First Refusal tender. For only a few hundred thousand more, they would've gotten a draft pick for him. That said, they are in line for a good deal of comp picks right now. At least 3 by my count. That's a hallmark Ozzie move.
    Hunt had 3 tackles and half a sack. He's not done anything to prove that he can take over for any player.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised the Bengals let him go. To me, that contract is worth it for Hawkins. The guy is one of the most efficient receivers in the entire NFL.

Good pick up for the Browns.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Provided CLE gets a halfway decent QB in there, Hawkins will put up very good numbers with so much attention on Gordon and Cameron.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I wish he was out of the division. That guy is a pain in the ass.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I wish he was out of the division. That guy is a pain in the ass.
    :word

I was hoping the Redskins would target him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Hunt had 3 tackles and half a sack. He's not done anything to prove that he can take over for any player.
    True, but the talent level is there. He was a pretty raw prospect, if they do a good enough job mentoring him, he could be as good a player there.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The Bengals have so much cap too. 28 million +. There aren't any big free agents left that will count against their cap significantly. They have 60 million in cap room for next year. With cap carryover they could have 80 million on cap space.

Players coming up next year that they have to sign: AJ Green, Trevor Robinson, Vontaze. Let's just say those players count 20 million.

Let Andy, Gresham, BJGE, the USC kid, walk.

With 60 million in cap they could sign Demariyus, Dez, or Brandon Marshall. Von Miller? Psh easy. Having the option to carry the cap over is vicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    True, but the talent level is there. He was a pretty raw prospect, if they do a good enough job mentoring him, he could be as good a player there.
    Hunt was a good prospect but he hasn't even proven that he can be an NFL player. Marvin isn't going to just hand him a starting job.

I think the reason why the Bengals didn't try and keep Michael Johnson and the rest of them is because they don't pay players unless they think it's a sure thing. Johnson had a down season. Collins like you wrote had some good starts after years as a backup. Hawkins was coming off a pretty bad injury and had a poor season.

The Bengals will pay for guys like Gino Atkins or AJ Green but for guys with question marks they're going to let them go. Mike Brown is a tough guy to get money out of. That's why it's going to be a lot of fun to see what happens with Dalton after this season.