Focus on Terps in 2014 ACC Tourney

Being a Terps basketball fan, I can't help wondering if this team hasn't finally come together just in time. Upsetting #5 UVA on Sunday was the first time all season they won against the upper echelon in the ACC. The difference this time was that they didn't play sloppy down the stretch - specifically, crucial turnovers and missed foul shots. Have they finally learned? They have significantly improved in the last month, with very close losses to Duke, Syracuse, and Clemson. With players like Wells and Allen, they have the talent to make serious noise in Greensboro - a legitimate 'dark horse'.

Of course, at 17-14, they are a very long shot at making the NCAA's bracket. They will have to get past FSU and pull two major upsets to corral 20 wins - absolute minimum requirement. Realistically, they may even have to win the ACC tourney (21 wins). You know there will be at least five ACC teams (UVA, Syracuse, Duke, UNC and Pitt) getting bids.

Re: Focus on Terps in 2014 ACC Tourney

It was very frustrating to see their season come to an ubrupt end. How could they have left an FSU player alone under the basket (for an easy layup) in the final seconds and the game tied? The Terp defense made the same mistake against UVA last Sunday at the end of regulation - but they survived in OT.

Re: Focus on Terps in 2014 ACC Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    It was very frustrating to see their season come to an ubrupt end. How could they have left an FSU player alone under the basket (for an easy layup) in the final seconds and the game tied? The Terp defense made the same mistake against UVA last Sunday at the end of regulation - but they survived in OT.
    It was too bad. UMD didn't even make the NIT. I had a feeling this season the expectations were there for Mark Turgeon. This was his third season in College Park, he had talented players available, and the motivation was there with leaving the ACC for the B10 coming up. Definitely frustrating. I think early in the year losing at home to Oregon State and Boston U set the tone. MD just couldn't get back on track. The transition to the B10 this fall might be rough given the extreme competition in the league. Plus, the pressure on Turgeon will probably be at an all-time high. I really don't know what to expect.