If the cap really does rise to $145M in 2015, the $160M ...

the Flacco's contract could look like a steal. Oz will, once gain, prove the doubters and naysayers wrong.

Other potential goodies:

• our Smith brothers: Torey & Jimmy
    • Yanda's & Ngata's final contracts

Of course, 31 other teams also would receive $25 million additional cap space, so it may also be a zero-sum gain.

per Florio :

One source with knowledge of the process (but not the same source who was on the money — pun lame but intended — when providing info about the 2014 cap) tells PFT that the cap could spike to $145 million in 2015 and a whopping $160 million in 2016.

A large jump wouldn’t be a major surprise. While the new TV deals kick in this year (including the recent Thursday night CBS simulcast), the revenue increase won’t hit the cap until next year.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: If the cap really does rise to $145M in 2015, the $160M ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    the Flacco's contract could look like a steal. Oz will, once gain, prove the doubters and naysayers wrong.

Other potential goodies:

• our Smith brothers: Torey & Jimmy
    • Yanda's & Ngata's final contracts

Of course, 31 other teams also would receive $25 million additional cap space, so it may also be a zero-sum gain.

per Florio :
    I don't think it's zero-sum. Let's assume increased cap means that we will see a spike in salaries across the board. It will benefit teams that inked big deals with their stars prior to the spike (e.g. the Ravens and Flacco) and hurt teams that will have their stars come due for a deal after the spike (e.g. Indy and Luck.)

Of course it will affect everyone, and the cost to re-sign our Smith brothers and other potential stars like Matt Elam will be higher.

But for Flacco it could mean that he plays one more year than expected under his current agreement, and that would be huge. Having to sign him to an extension in 2017 instead of 2016 would be much more cap-friendly.
    "Chin up, chest out."

If this is true, now would be a reeeeally good time to lock up Eugene Monroe. We'd have 2 of the most expensive positions on the field (QB and LT) locked up in what would quickly become 'steal' deals.

Ngata is done

I imagine that each time they raise it, players will demand more, so there probably won't be a big net effect.

I've very much had concerns about the structure of Flacco's deal from the beginning, and while the costs of players - across the board - are going to eat up that largesse, this significant increase in the Cap is very much going to benefit the Ravens as the plan around those 2016 and after Cap numbers.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

second time in two days I've seen Flacco's contract referred to as a 'steal'. SMH

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I've very much had concerns about the structure of Flacco's deal from the beginning, and while the costs of players - across the board - are going to eat up that largesse, this significant increase in the Cap is very much going to benefit the Ravens as the plan around those 2016 and after Cap numbers.
    I've seen this happen before, outside of sports. People who bought a home with a mortgage in the late 60's/early 70's made out like bandits during the bad inflation years in the 70's. Their home values tripled (or better), wages/salaries at least doubled, and their mortgage payments didn't budge. Imagine having a mortgage payment of $95 on a home worth $100k.

Having long-term deals on your biggest expenses (e.g. QB) is a huge benefit when prices are rising.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell