Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Ravens in great cap situation

As I post a month ago, we are in a great cap situation.

We have now 19.98 million of cap space (with salar y cap at 126.2). With the salary cap going to 130 or 132 mill, we could have 25 or 26 millions.

With that amount of money, I can see us retaining:

Pitta (6 mill a year).
    Monroe (6 mill a year)
    Graham (1.5 million a year)
    D. Smith (2.5 million a year)
    A. Jones (7 million a year)

Consider this numbers could be lower, because contracta many times are structured to be lighter in fist years (Flacco 121 mill contract, average of 20 mill, count only 6.5 mill in first year)
    So yes, we could keep A. Jones.

Re: Ravens in great cap situation

If we have 7 million to use, I'd rather use that on improving the offense with a pass catcher and or offensive line help instead of Jones. Also, Monroe will likely take at least 8 mil a year. But yeah, the cap is looking a lot better then it was a few weeks ago.

No freaking way I pay Jones anywhere near $7 mil per.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo726 View Post
    As I post a month ago, we are in a great cap situation.

We have now 19.98 million of cap space (with salar y cap at 126.2). With the salary cap going to 130 or 132 mill, we could have 25 or 26 millions.

With that amount of money, I can see us retaining:

Pitta (6 mill a year).
    Monroe (6 mill a year)

Consider this numbers could be lower, because contracta many times are structured to be lighter in fist years (Flacco 121 mill contract, average of 20 mill, count only 6.5 mill in first year)
    So yes, we could keep A. Jones.
    Good post but there is no way we are re signing Art Jones, too much money, he'll get overpaid somewhere. I'd really like for us to sign Jarius Byrd. The FO can't make the excuse we don't have enough cap room b/c this year we certainly do. Byrd can just ball out.

To the cap situation: are salary cap space I believe is close to 30 million with the release of Mcclain and Leach.

Blog Entries

I see Monroe going for 7-8 Mil per year. That puts him #6-#8 in the NFL for LTs...

http://overthecap.com/top-player-sal...n=LT&Year=2013

While we COULD retain all those guys, that doesn't leave much room for rookie pool, in addition we're not adding a single external free agent and leaving little space during the year for injuries, etc.

Does you figure count in the RFA and ERFA tenders?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

From @RavensSalaryCap:

If Cap is $132M, Ravens (after tenders to all RFA/ERFAs and some adjustments added) will be $21.224M under Cap, prior to tag/cuts/e-signings

So, starting at 21.224 Mil, you take out about 5.5-6 Mil for the "Year One pool" - 15.224 Mil
    You want about 2 Mil in cap space during the year. While we could get that with cuts/etc, let's just assume we don't touch it now - 13.224 Mil

So quickly, you are down to keeping 2-3 of those guys. THAT is why Art Jones isn't going to be kept. We could structure our deals so it's low cap hits this year, but you're going to push that cap money down the road, where you will have to deal with several things that are worrisome (Joe's contract beyond 2015 will need to be re-negotiated or extended, Torrey and Jimmy due for new contracts, etc)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

We'll certainly have more cap space than we fans are accustomed to us having. I predict that we'll be fairly active in free agency, with retaining our own key guys as well as pursuing other teams' free agents. And I made a bet with a buddy that Art Jones will be back.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=RavenScallywag;755094]From @RavensSalaryCap:

If Cap is $132M, Ravens (after tenders to all RFA/ERFAs and some adjustments added) will be $21.224M under Cap, prior to tag/cuts/e-signings

So, starting at 21.224 Mil, you take out about 5.5-6 Mil for the "Year One pool" - 15.224 Mil
    You want about 2 Mil in cap space during the year. While we could get that with cuts/etc, let's just assume we don't touch it now - 13.224 Mil

So quickly, you are down to keeping 2-3 of those guys. THAT is why Art Jones isn't going to be kept. We could structure our deals so it's low cap hits this year, but you're going to push that cap money down the road, where you will have to deal with several things that are worrisome (Joe's contract beyond 2015 will need to be re-negotiated or extended, Torrey and Jimmy due for new contracts, etc)[/QUOTE

According to Ravens site, they already cut McClean and Leach freeing up $4.95M in cap space.
    We;re supposed to have $20 or 21M in space before this when the cap ceiling goes up.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...d-cf6f3aff0683

Looks like Leach is a beast will have to change his handle. :)
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo726 View Post
    Pitta (6 mill a year).
    Monroe (6 mill a year)
    Monroe is going to cost significantly more than $6 Million per.
    Graham is going to cost more than $1.5 Million per.

Art Jones may make $7 Million per, but it won't be from us, and he's not worth that.

The guys I see the Ravens keeping are Monroe,Pitta,and D. Smith. The way I see it going down is that Arthur is going to receive a huge payday from another team, Jacoby is 50/50 depending on the FA market and draft, Graham may come back depending on the FA market, and I the Ravens aren't prioritizing Ihedigbo. As for outside guys I wouldn't expect anything big, a cap-cut FS, a veteran/ cap-cut WR, and a respectable C.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    According to Ravens site, they already cut McClean and Leach freeing up $4.95M in cap space.
    We;re supposed to have $20 or 21M in space before this when the cap ceiling goes up.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...d-cf6f3aff0683

Looks like Leach is a beast will have to change his handle. :)
    The tweet came at 6:30p, well after the news of McClain and Leach broke, so I think it took their cuts into account.