Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

My True Detective theory

The Yellow King is Jesus.
    Carcosa is Heaven.

In episode 3, when Rust first interviews the lawnmower man, the camera shows the school's busted name display. There is a picture of Jesus with a yellow halo, aka a yellow crown. He is also holding a lamb.

Jesus is the lamb of god. A sacrifice. He is also the king of kings. Yellow halo aka "crown". King of kings. Yellow King. Oh and then there is this painting from the 1400's showing a lamb being worshipped and having yellow light that looks like a crown around the lamb's head:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...the_Lamb_2.jpg

In episode 7 we again see the lawnmower man, who we discover is the man with scars on his face. Which means episodes 3 and 7 are linked by his appearance.

In episode 7, during the interview with the black lady, Rust shows her the wooden structures. She says "Rejoice Carcosa" "death is not the end". That sounds a lot like Heaven.

In the girl's diary she said she opened her eyes and saw the Yellow King. The picture shows a yellow stick figure in a crucified pose.
    http://www.metrosphere.org/wp-conten...ellow-king.png

So I think the cult is sacrificing children as some weird Christian/Jesus sacrifice metaphor, wherein their ritual will get them into Carcosa....Heaven

Blog Entries

Re: My True Detective theory

Interesting theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

My True Detective theory

Pizzolatto is already on record saying it's much simpler than people are making it out to be.

It's going to end being a cult murder type thing with the Tuttles using this Carcosa / Yellow King as their motivation. Hell, they all but hung a sign around his neck saying he's the main suspect when they showed Errol on the lawnmower, again, talking about his family "knows the bayou."

They're not going to delve into the meanings behind Carcosa and all that stuff.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 03-07-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Pizzolatto is already on record saying it's much simpler than people are making it out to be.

It's going to end being a cult murder type thing with the Tuttles using this Carcosa / Yellow King as their motivation. Hell, they all but hung a sign around his neck saying he's the main suspect when they showed Errol on the lawnmower, again, talking about his family "knows the bayou."

They're not going to delve into the meanings behind Carcosa and all that stuff.
    Yeah it would be a lot to get into with one episode left. But given the religious tones, the cult could easily have some skewed view on sacrifice/Christianity and use that as the rationale for what they do. "we sacrifice to get to carcosa" aka heaven. We shall see.

I am going to bump this to the main page.

Off season, off topic threads are welcome and I think this will get more eyeballs there.

Blog Entries

Another thing that supports my carcosa being heaven theory is the original short fiction stories used as inspiration mention that in carcosa "black stars hang in the heavens". Black stars and a partial moon are all scribbled in the girls diary in addition to the yellow king stuff.

FWIW IMO McConaughey is stupidly brilliant in TD.
    Oscar and Emmy in same cycle?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I think so.

The Emmy will be either McConaughey or Spacey, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Hell yeah. I always thought the guy was kind of a wanker, with his nude bongo-playing, RomCom-starring, freestyle persona. Then I saw "Killer Joe," and since then he's been doing a lot to convince me he's one of the best actors of his generation.

His episode of "Inside the Actors Studio" was fascinating.
    "Chin up, chest out."

My $.02 on the ending ....

It's not going to be some mystical ending to it nor are they going to go in depth into the cult side of everything. Rust and Marty are going to find the group, along with the help of Gilbough and Papania, who are going to figure it out as well.

That awful video that Rust showed to Marty shows it's more than one killer so I think it's obvious at this point the killers are the families involved (Tuttles, Childress, etc).

I think Rust is going to do something to get himself killed. He's been alluding to life and "tying things off" for a few episodes now. I am thinking he's going to sacrifice himself to save someone, most likely Marty.

There's still a small part of me that is telling me Rust is involved in some way, though I concede it's not likely at this point. Even after he hooks back up with Rust, he's still the one finding ALL of the evidence and steering the case in the direction he wants to take it.

In any event, it's the best TV show since The Wire. Hands down. The acting alone makes it worth watching.

Blog Entries

My $.02 on the ending ....

It's not going to be some mystical ending to it nor are they going to go in depth into the cult side of everything. Rust and Marty are going to find the group, along with the help of Gilbough and Papania, who are going to figure it out as well.

That awful video that Rust showed to Marty shows it's more than one killer so I think it's obvious at this point the killers are the families involved (Tuttles, Childress, etc).

I think Rust is going to do something to get himself killed. He's been alluding to life and "tying things off" for a few episodes now. I am thinking he's going to sacrifice himself to save someone, most likely Marty.

There's still a small part of me that is telling me Rust is involved in some way, though I concede it's not likely at this point. Even after he hooks back up with Rust, he's still the one finding ALL of the evidence and steering the case in the direction he wants to take it.

In any event, it's the best TV show since The Wire. Hands down. The acting alone makes it worth watching.
    Yeah I don't think anything supernatural either. Just nutballs misusing religion for their own selfish purposes

This +1,000

I agree with you generally - it is not going to be as layered as some might think (impossible to do in a one hour finale), but the loose thread that I am still curious about is Marty's daughters - where did they see or get the idea to stage a Carcosa sacrifice ritual with their dolls?