Johnny Unitas name trademarked?

I'm a Towson grad and get their alumni mag, Towson. Reading through it, I find the ad for the homecoming game against Hofstra on Oct 13. It reads "Join us at Johnny Unitas R Stadium for the Homecoming Football game."

(the "R" is supposed to be the registered trademark name but don't know how to get special characters into posts.)

I'm guessing his son did this, so he has to get a royalty payment whenever his name is used?

I'm also guessing Johnny himself would not approve.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Re: Johnny Unitas name trademarked?

No, you can't trademark a name that's just a personal name. There, usually, has to be something else. ie: Billy Bob's Plywood. Billy Bob by itself typically isn't going to work.

....fyi that's not legal advice blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    No, you can't trademark a name that's just a personal name. There, usually, has to be something else. ie: Billy Bob's Plywood. Billy Bob by itself typically isn't going to work.

....fyi that's not legal advice blah blah blah.
    I didn't think you could trademark a name either, but here is a link to their site showing it:

Towson Tigers Facilities
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...h=Submit+Query

The above link will show you what names associated with Unitas are trademarked and which one have been in the past.

5. Re: Johnny Unitas name trademarked?

Of course you can trademark a name. Try using "elvis's" name or any celebrity name without their permission.

Here is an article from 2003 when Towson wanted to name the stadium for him (which the did):

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports...072603aaa.html

"Beyond even a name, celebrities can trademark their iconic style or shape. Michael Jordan, for example, owns the right to the silhouette of a man rising, splay-legged, preparing to dunk a basketball, used for his Nike sneakers. A person drawn in that shape is essentially assumed to be Jordan, said Clark C. Griffith, a Minneapolis sports marketing attorney. Griffith's father owned the Twins baseball team from 1961 to 1984, and his great-uncle was a pivotal figure in baseball history and namesake for old Griffith Stadium in Washington -- "before naming rights paid," Griffith said."
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com