Blog Entries

Zone Blocking Offensive Lineman Thread

We now know that John Harbaugh recognized the issue of having too many chefs in the kitchen. We also know that Steve Bisciotti recognized how Castillo rubbed some people the wrong way, on his way through the door, but he says that Castillo was much better received once the season progressed. I trust Mr. Bisciotti on that, because we should all know that he has his own reliable sources.

It is now clear that the team wants to move to a more zone blocking heavy type run scheme. With that in mind, they'll likely target FA linemen and draft prospects who fit the scheme.

Who do we have in mind? Does Alex Mack have experience in it? I certainly can't remember. De La Puente does, because New Orleans seems to run a lot of it.

What about guys in the draft at C, G and Tackle.?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Zone Blocking Offensive Lineman Thread

I think if you're looking at centers in free agency, if it is going to be a full ZBS with say a Kubiak or Shannahan calling the plays, Evan Dietrich-Smith the center from Green Bay is your best fit. De La Puente is a better fit for a pass heavy offense because he isn't great as a run blocker, but pretty good in pass protection. Another guy to look out for is Will Montgomery from the Redskins, he isn't a free agent, but he may be cut as the Redskins will want to have some cap relief and are likely chaning to a power run scheme under Gruden. Montgomery is a great fit in a stretch zone scheme and has a lot of experience playing in it under the Shannahans, he also makes sense if he's cut, because he wont count against any compensatory picks. So they are the two guys I'm looking out for. Alex Mack is a great fit for any scheme you run, he's the best center in football, and would just maul anyone with Yanda and KO along side him.

We'll be in the market for a RT too, Eric Winston is obviously the best option for that, he will compete with Wagner and give Wagner a good shot at starting as Winston hasn't been that good lately playing in poor scheme fits. He played very well under Kubiak in Houston, and is best used in the ZBS. He will come cheap and because of that, he won't really take a high compensatory pick away from us. He could be one of those typical FA moves that works out well for us.

In the draft, I'd say nearly all of the centers are good ZBS players, as that's what most colleges run these days. Brian Stork and Travis Swanson are the best centers in the draft, and would be good fits for both blocking schemes. At RT, you're looking at Taylor Lewan or Erving as good fits in the ZBS if that's the direction the Ravens go in the draft.

With all that said, this is what I'd go with....

Monroe-KO-Evan Dietrich-Smith(Preferably Montgomery if he's cut)-Yanda-Winston/Wagner

If ZBS is staying I think we need Kubiak to make sure everyone is getting their shit together. No one runs it as good as Houston. If we did end up with Winston and got KO back healthy I wouldn't even mind keeping Gino. It all comes down to coaching and I think Kubiak would take care of that.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I think Kyle Shanahan has called plays in a ZBS system. "The Sun" reported that his interview with us went very well, so it might not be bad if he gets the job. I do wonder if Castillo is a part of these interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I think Kyle Shanahan has called plays in a ZBS system. "The Sun" reported that his interview with us went very well, so it might not be bad if he gets the job.
    This! Not to mention the fact that his padre is a proponent of said blocking scheme. I like the idea for a number of reasons, the least of which is that an effective running game will certainly complement Joe's effectiveness as a QB!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    This! Not to mention the fact that his padre is a proponent of said blocking scheme. I like the idea for a number of reasons, the least of which is that an effective running game will certainly complement Joe's effectiveness as a QB!
    That's the thing, though. Kyle Shanahan is known as a guy who can turn UDFA running backs (Foster) and late-round selections (Alfred Morris) into star players. It's hard to gauge how that would play out here with a gun-slinging QB at his disposal.

Blog Entries

One thing is certain - there is going to be another glut of available UDFA's this year and there could be a gem or two there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-the-draft/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    One thing is certain - there is going to be another glut of available UDFA's this year...
    UnDocumented Foreign Aliens (?) hey man, that's not politically correct... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think if you're looking at centers in free agency, if it is going to be a full ZBS with say a Kubiak or Shannahan calling the plays, Evan Dietrich-Smith the center from Green Bay is your best fit. De La Puente is a better fit for a pass heavy offense because he isn't great as a run blocker, but pretty good in pass protection. Another guy to look out for is Will Montgomery from the Redskins, he isn't a free agent, but he may be cut as the Redskins will want to have some cap relief and are likely chaning to a power run scheme under Gruden. Montgomery is a great fit in a stretch zone scheme and has a lot of experience playing in it under the Shannahans, he also makes sense if he's cut, because he wont count against any compensatory picks. So they are the two guys I'm looking out for. Alex Mack is a great fit for any scheme you run, he's the best center in football, and would just maul anyone with Yanda and KO along side him.

We'll be in the market for a RT too, Eric Winston is obviously the best option for that, he will compete with Wagner and give Wagner a good shot at starting as Winston hasn't been that good lately playing in poor scheme fits. He played very well under Kubiak in Houston, and is best used in the ZBS. He will come cheap and because of that, he won't really take a high compensatory pick away from us. He could be one of those typical FA moves that works out well for us.

In the draft, I'd say nearly all of the centers are good ZBS players, as that's what most colleges run these days. Brian Stork and Travis Swanson are the best centers in the draft, and would be good fits for both blocking schemes. At RT, you're looking at Taylor Lewan or Erving as good fits in the ZBS if that's the direction the Ravens go in the draft.

With all that said, this is what I'd go with....

Monroe-KO-Evan Dietrich-Smith(Preferably Montgomery if he's cut)-Yanda-Winston/Wagner
    Dietrich-Smith is the best guy in free agency for that system. I remember the Packers making a big offer to try and sign Chris Myers of the Texans 2 years ago. Dietrich-Smith was their project guy. He was the backup interior lineman for years. Finally he got his shot the end of 2012 when Jeff Saturday fell apart and really did a nice job at Center.

I like the Winston idea as well. The guy was great at RT for the Texans but looked so bad with the Chiefs that the Cardinals got him for nothing. In this system he could get back to his old form. I would be looking at both if I were Ozzie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Dietrich-Smith is the best guy in free agency for that system. I remember the Packers making a big offer to try and sign Chris Myers of the Texans 2 years ago. Dietrich-Smith was their project guy. He was the backup interior lineman for years. Finally he got his shot the end of 2012 when Jeff Saturday fell apart and really did a nice job at Center.

I like the Winston idea as well. The guy was great at RT for the Texans but looked so bad with the Chiefs that the Cardinals got him for nothing. In this system he could get back to his old form. I would be looking at both if I were Ozzie.
    :word

Btw, what do you think the chances are that Will Montgomery is cut? I believe they save around $2M by releasing him. It seems though, that despite their success, all of the players on the Redskins line are in flux for next season (apart from Trent Williams). All four would yield to moderate cap savings (Chester, Montgomery, Litchensteinger, Polombus). May be worth grabbing some of those guys in FA to fit into this hypothetical zone running game for next season, Montgomery being the best of the lot. Polombus could be another guy to consider for RT, he is a pretty decent zone lineman IIRC.

Blog Entries

I with Leach 100% on this one and it follows exactly hat Oz likes doing. Scooping up those cap casualties that don't cost us picks. I'm betting the line gets fixed that way. Just wish their was a effective FS out there we could scoop up also, but think we're def gonna have to get a FA on that one.