Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The case to sign Jarius Byrd

First of all, free safeties are not that expensive. Despite being important pieces of a defense in terms of creating turnovers, and normally quarter backing the back end in coverage (I'd argue that FS is about as important as CB or pass rusher in our scheme). The highest paid safety in the NFL is Troy, who averages $7.5M a year. Byrd will likely want $8M a year with around $20M in guaranteed money.

Would you pay that for Byrd? I'm starting to think we probably should. Currently, there are zero answers on the roster to play FS, we need someone to make plays and turn the game around in key moments of games, we lacked that this past season. You move Elam to SS where he could be a stud, and use the savings from cutting or 're addressing Suggs' contract and sign Byrd.

We could allocate the rest of our money to re-signing Daryl Smith, Monroe, and Pitta, and sign a center and a vet RT. Use the draft for Joe's weapons.

Blog Entries

Re: The case to sign Jarius Byrd

Don't see him fitting the Ozzie "Right player, right price." standard.

Byrd's going to command much more money than the Ravens are willing/able to pay him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Byrd's going to command much more money than the Ravens are willing/able to pay him.
    That's not entirely true. The Ravens are going to have enough money to at least make one big splash after sorting the Suggs issue out. Whether or not they are willing to pay Byrd that much Is another question. Byrd is arguably the best safety in football when he plays, and Ozzie really wants a legit FS on the roster next season.

I think I'd rather sign Antoine Bethea. He'll be cheaper and from everything I've read, he's a real leader in the locker room.

Our FS will be a FA, I feel pretty confident in that being the case. The FS class is not that great and I don't see us starting a second year player at SS and a rookie at FS.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Don't rule out resigning Dig and signing someone like Stevie Brown or Antrel Rolle of the Giants cut him.

Byrd is one of the better free safeties in the NFL, but I don't know if they'd pay a lot of money there knowing they have to invest in the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: The case to sign Jarius Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco Machado View Post
    I think I'd rather sign Antoine Bethea. He'll be cheaper and from everything I've read, he's a real leader in the locker room.

Our FS will be a FA, I feel pretty confident in that being the case. The FS class is not that great and I don't see us starting a second year player at SS and a rookie at FS.
    Byrd (28) is two years younger, and seems to make more BIG plays than Bethea, but Bethea is a tackling machine. He's averaged 114 per game over the past 4 seasons, never missed a game, and will likely be less co$tly than Byrd. F M, I think yours is a very good opinion here... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco Machado View Post

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk
    I would say that Elam + Diggs > Bethea + Elam. But Bethea + Elam >>> Rookie FS + Elam

And Diggs would be cheaper than Bethea. Also, Antrel Rolle is a name I think Wicked has brought up that would be a great fit here too. Anyway isn't Bethea more a SS anyway? I might be wrong, but I thought he played SS.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Byrd (28) is two years younger, and seems to make more BIG plays than Bethea, but Bethea is a tackling machine. He's averaged 114 per game over the past 4 seasons, never missed a game, and will likely be less co$tly than Byrd. F M, I think yours is a very good opinion here... Bc
    Bethea has the same skillset as Dig, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think they probably want to go in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Don't rule out resigning Dig and signing someone like Stevie Brown or Antrel Rolle of the Giants cut him.

Byrd is one of the better free safeties in the NFL, but I don't know if they'd pay a lot of money there knowing they have to invest in the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha....when I started writing my post there was only one comment. I stepped away for 30 minutes to wash the dishes and realized I didn't post. Then I see all of these posts and my post is just regurgitation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Bethea has the same skillset as Dig, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think they probably want to go in a different direction.
    Thanks, s. r. g. I didn't really know if Bethea was a FS or SS (considering his tackle numbers)... Bc

Blog Entries

I think that based on the SotR comments from Ozzie and those guys, you CAN rule out re-signing Ihedigbo. He's played his way to a salary increase and the Ravens aren't going to be paying a backup that kind of money, which is all he'd be here. They've pretty much all but said they aren't going into next season without a true FS playing FS.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52