Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franchise Tag

Franchise Tag

Projected 2014 franchise tag numbers:

OL: $11.126m

TE: $6.709m

Most of us want both Monroe and Pitta back, and it's likely that we'll have to tag one of them. How would you handle this if you were Ozzie?

Source for numbers: http://russellstreetreport.com/nfl-d...14-salary-cap/

Re: Franchise Tag

I would really hate to use the franchise tag on either. Monroe maybe while still negotiating a final contract. Pitta-no. I'd rather let him shop around to see his true value.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Projected 2014 franchise tag numbers:

OL: $11.126m

TE: $6.709m

Most of us want both Monroe and Pitta back, and it's likely that we'll have to tag one of them. How would you handle this if you were Ozzie?

Source for numbers: http://russellstreetreport.com/nfl-d...14-salary-cap/
    If I was Ozzie, I would try and get both under contract. The tag should be a last resort.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I would really hate to use the franchise tag on either. Monroe maybe while still negotiating a final contract. Pitta-no. I'd rather let him shop around to see his true value.
    +1

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Neither are worth the tag, IMO.
    I wouldn't even want to "taint" the negotiations by doing so. I'd rather let them both walk at that point. I just don't think either could be tagged, and then signed long term for significantly less annual average then the tag amount, with much less then Double the tag amount as guarantee.

Franchise Tag

Agreed. Getting both under contract before having to use the tag is by far the best result.

Plus, as Aaron Wilson pointed out this AM, Pitta - because of most of his snaps came in the slot - could make a rather good argument - like Finley did, Cook almost did, and Graham likely will - that he should receive the WR tag, which is over $11M.

IMO, they will get Monroe done in time and avoid the tag with him. They may get Pitta done in time too, but if not, I think they'll let him hit the market and see where his market value truly is.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-09-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Agreed. Getting both under contract before having to use the tag is by far the best result.

Plus, as Aaron Wilson pointed out this AM, Pitta because of most of his snaps came in the slot could make rather argument - like Finley did, Cook almost did, and Graham likely will - that he should receive the WR tag, which is over $11M.

IMO, they will get Monroe done in time and avoid the tag with him. They may get Pitta done in time too, but if not, I think they'll let him hit the market and see where his market value truly is.
    Wow, that makes it a non starter. Really it is for both of these guys

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I don't think the Ravens are tagging anyone this off season. Just a hunch. Monroe is not an $11 million OL... nor is Pitta a $7 million TE.

One of the nice things about finishing 8-8.. It's not like you just won a Super Bowl and everyone has their hands out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    ... IMO, they will get Monroe done in time and avoid the tag with him. They may get Pitta done in time too, but if not, I think they'll let him hit the market and see where his market value truly is.
    I wholeheartedly agree, Ravor. Monroe, due to our problems on the Oline (which I don't have to list here), is IMO the top priority. Let's not forget that Ozzie has already "invested" 4th and 5th round draft choices in him. Pitta, while he has leverage due to our lack of talent @ TE, is a lesser necessity... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I don't think the Ravens are tagging anyone this off season. Just a hunch. Monroe is not an $11 million OL... nor is Pitta a $7 million TE.

One of the nice things about finishing 8-8.. It's not like you just won a Super Bowl and everyone has their hands out.
    Yea exactly. Nobody is getting tagged. I think they should resign Pitta even if it means paying a little more than his market value, but $7 million is WAY more than what any team should pay him. And Monroe getting $11 million is laughable. Oz finally has some leverage.

I definitely agree that it's really important to sign both before having to use the tag. But is it possible? The only player I recall that happening with (in the time I have followed the Ravens) is Flacco, and there was no chance that he was going to hit free agency anyways.

What do Monroe and Pitta have to win by signing before free agency begins?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    If I was Ozzie, I would try and get both under contract. The tag should be a last resort.
    I'm sure it will be but as we've seen with Suggs, Ngata, Rice and Flacco those last resorts happen a lot with this team