Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Draft Thoughts

Re: Draft Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, the raw drop number with Matthews needs a little additional context. I believe he caught 50% of his total receptions (or thereabouts) on passes behind the LOS, which is on par with Watkins but dramatically higher than most of the other top 8-10 receivers in the class.

When a guy has that high a drop rate and only 50% of his passes are even beyond the LOS, I would frown on him a little more in comparison to the rest of the list (same goes for Watkins.) That contrasts with guys like Landry and Beckham, who have a FAR higher proportion of their receptions beyond 10 yards from the LOS--thus their "real" drop rate should be adjusted downward. Landry, for example, dropped only 2 balls in the entire 2013 season, which is outstanding especially given his deeper depth of target.

There are all kinds of ways to contextualize the numbers, but generally speaking, they don't lie too much. Bottom line on Jordan Matthews is that "hands" are not really a strength for him, on balance--he can make nice catches, but he drops his share as well.

Co-signed ^

More general context below for the top guys (average depth of reception and average YAC).

2014 DoR and YAC.JPG
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Co-signed ^

More general context below for the top guys (average depth of reception and average YAC).

2014 DoR and YAC.JPG
    From your chart Robinson stands out as value in the middle 2nd round

I've been seeing a lot of post about Ravens taking TE Ebron (mostly due to that ESPN moron Kiper). I think it would be a mistake to take Ebron at 17, the Ravens need a blocking TE, not another WR/TE (I'm thinking Kiper didn't expect the ravens to resign Pitta?).
    If Evans is there, it is a no brainer.
    If not...
    I fear Ozzie will draft a Alabama guy (Mosely or Clinton-Dix), who would fill needs on Defense. It is where Ozzie is comfortable. After all Ozzie has been a little gun shy on receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of post about Ravens taking TE Ebron (mostly due to that ESPN moron Kiper). I think it would be a mistake to take Ebron at 17, the Ravens need a blocking TE, not another WR/TE (I'm thinking Kiper didn't expect the ravens to resign Pitta?).
    If Evans is there, it is a no brainer.
    If not...
    I fear Ozzie will draft a Alabama guy (Mosely or Clinton-Dix), who would fill needs on Defense. It is where Ozzie is comfortable. After all Ozzie has been a little gun shy on receivers.
    While I tend to agree, look at the TEs that Kubiak has had over the years. None were the greatest blockers, but were pretty good at it. That being said, I think you can coach a player to block (effort and technique) rather than teach a player to catch passes. All in all, I'm not a big Ebron fan and I believe he may be gone before we pick anyway to be honest due to his hype (Buf, Det, NY, STL or even the Jets jumping us are possibilities). However if he've available at 17 and the top 17 has been picked clean and trading back isn't an option, I don't think we will be disappointed. Him and Pitta out there at the same time would be a nightmare for LBs and Safeties.

I know this wont be the "sexy" opinion, but i dont see us taking a WR in the first. I could, however, see us taking any of the following:

OL Zack Martin ND - 3 year starter at ND. Had a great Senior Bowl (we always draft Senior bowl stand outs). Could play T or OG. Has been compared to Marshal Yanda. DE Trent Murphy has gone on the record saying Martin was the toughest LT he ever played against.

LB Cj Mosley Bama - Explosive LB from a Championship team. Text-book tackler. Excellent against the run and really impressive in pass coverage. Oh, and he's from BAMA. Ozzie seems to like those players ;)

FS Ha-Ha Clinton Dix Bama - Rangy safety from a Championship team. Flies to the ball thus enabling him to make plays. People always comment on Omar Brown and how he always finds himself "in the right spot," I give that recognition to Ha-Ha. While he may not be Ed Reed (lets be real, its not a fair comparison), I would say that he plays like Earl Thomas, which I think is worthy of the 17 overall pick.

With that all said, I feel like i should disclose that I am Notre Dame Grad student, so I do have my biases. And as much as I have rooted against Bama, I have always come away impressed with Mosley and Ha-Ha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gato_Papi View Post
    I know this wont be the "sexy" opinion, but i dont see us taking a WR in the first. I could, however, see us taking any of the following:

OL Zack Martin ND - 3 year starter at ND. Had a great Senior Bowl (we always draft Senior bowl stand outs). Could play T or OG. Has been compared to Marshal Yanda. DE Trent Murphy has gone on the record saying Martin was the toughest LT he ever played against.

LB Cj Mosley Bama - Explosive LB from a Championship team. Text-book tackler. Excellent against the run and really impressive in pass coverage. Oh, and he's from BAMA. Ozzie seems to like those players ;)

FS Ha-Ha Clinton Dix Bama - Rangy safety from a Championship team. Flies to the ball thus enabling him to make plays. People always comment on Omar Brown and how he always finds himself "in the right spot," I give that recognition to Ha-Ha. While he may not be Ed Reed (lets be real, its not a fair comparison), I would say that he plays like Earl Thomas, which I think is worthy of the 17 overall pick.

With that all said, I feel like i should disclose that I am Notre Dame Grad student, so I do have my biases. And as much as I have rooted against Bama, I have always come away impressed with Mosley and Ha-Ha.
    This is a draft deep in WRs, so it's not totally necessary for the Ravens to draft one in round #1. The three players you listed are not top 10 guys, but they've all produced at their positions. I wouldn't mind drafting any of them, but if they're all available @ 17, I'd like to trade down a few spots/acquire an extra pick/then draft the one who's left... Bc

Blog Entries

yes

Blog Entries

CJ Mosely it was.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore