Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Jim Caldwell to the Lions!!!?????

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm not saying he's definitely going to get hired. I'm saying in the two cases where he's being requested for interviews, it seems/seemed like it was more than just Rooney Rule satisfaction.

Of course, now I disprove my theory about neither of those situations happened. Lovie Smith is reportedly hired as next coach of the Bucs, so Lions would still need a minority candidate to interview.
    Teams also don't want to give the impression that they're interviewing someone *just* because they're a minority candidate.

Like I said, let this play out then judge.

Blog Entries

I actually think that Caldwell would be a good fit for the Redskins HC job, provided he was able to attract a good OC and DC. I think Caldwell would be a great influence on RGIII, and would be able to get the best out of him. He would have to be the CEO type of HC, who relied on his OC and DC for the Xs and Os of the game, but it could work. I wouldn't dismiss the Redskins interview as a Rooney-Rule check the box interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Not necessarily, they also asked to interview Perry Fewell of the Giants, who is another minority candidate.

Face it, we all are unhappy with Caldwell, but he's a legitimate HC candidate around the league.
    Even if he doesn't wind up getting hired anywhere, he's still a former head coach with a Superbowl appearance on his resume. It's not a surprise that anyone would want to bring him in and talk to him.

Blog Entries

5. Re: Jim Caldwell to the Lions!!!?????

I don't see Caldwell coming back.

Whoever we get for OC, he isn't going to succeed without a running game and that means fixing the OL. It also means somebody other than Rice as the #1. I just have visions of us wasting 6 or 7 games next season waiting for Rice to get "untracked", something I doubt will ever happen again.

From what I understand he's one of the hottest commodities out there. It's been established that he'll probably end up getting something.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    From what I understand he's one of the hottest commodities out there. It's been established that he'll probably end up getting something.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    He is? Link please?

Blog Entries

Dirt,

I agree that Caldwell would be one of the best possible fits for Washington. His experience with QBs is on the resume. A Super Bowl appearance is also on that resume. Also, in my opinion, he is a guy that would not outwardly object to the relationship between Snyder and RGIII, the way other coaches might. He is completely professional and we all know that Snyder has long held a reputation of being a snake in the grass. You don't even have to look beyond this year. The man may not have wanted to draft RGIII, but he practically sabotaged himself to get fired, by benching Griffin and leaking information to the media.

Besides, what fully established HC is going to go to Washington?

Caldwell to the lions also makes sense.

RavensnHokies,

You are right on the money about the systems. The only team that I can think of, who successfully runs an AC variation with success and versatility is New Orleans, but I'm not actually sure it's an AC variation. It's a big play offense with versatility in the shorter range. Which is why what New England and Green Bay run is more desirable, in my opinion. When New England had Moss, they were able to go deep effectively. When they had Rob Gronkowski, they were able to go deep effectively. The way they've utilized the system has been able to evolve over the years, depending on the talent they have.

When they were winning Super Bowls, it was mainly the outside WRs. Once Welker and Moss showed up, it was the slot guy and the deep guy. Once the two TEs showed up, it was all in the middle of the field and working its way out to the sideline.

They've effectively ran the system three different ways in the past ten years, because the system allows for such versatility. The AC doesn't.

If it did, I would be all for it, providing we get a guy that can run it the best, which is why Joe Lombardi makes sense to me.

I just think that you shouldn't just say that since Joe is a better deep ball passer, this is the system we should have, because you can throw deep in other systems. He is entering his prime. Develop other elements of his game. Don't just sit and see this guy go toe to toe with the best in the playoffs, but declare that he'll never be Brady or Manning or Rodgers. Give him a system with the sort of versatility that those QBs have at their disposal and I think you'll see other elements of his game develop. The pump fake, the quick release, the touch on some of the shorter passes. The pre-snap reads. Joe is very capable of being more than just a deep ball thrower.

Imagine him having a better quick passing offense at his disposal with his ability to go deep at any moment with ease? It's all there for the Ravens. They just have to see it and be willing to evolve as an organization.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

If Caldwell leaves, another chance for Harbaugh to use his coaching abilities to improve the offense. If Castillo becomes OC, could be a long season coming up. If Caldwell succeeds,what does that say about Harbaugh?

Take my offensive coordinator... Please!!

;)

Blog Entries

Lions beat reporter says Caldwell could bring along teryl austin as DC