Page 4 of 251 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: The Case for a Defense-heavy Draft

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If love to see him as a mid round pick.
    The problem with the mid-round pick scenario is that the Ravens are void of a 4th and a 5th rounder. The hope is that compensatory picks will be in those rounds, but that's not a given. Without a trade down, the Ravens can only really count of the first three picks to get an impact player, and there are more holes than picks.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The problem with the mid-round pick scenario is that the Ravens are void of a 4th and a 5th rounder. The hope is that compensatory picks will be in those rounds, but that's not a given. Without a trade down, the Ravens can only really count of the first three picks to get an impact player, and there are more holes than picks.
    And the truth is we can't expect any impact players from round 4 on, at least for their rookie years. Hopefully a day 3 guy or two can develop in time but we can't expect year one impact. Some years no day 3 picks develop. Look at the last several years of round 4 and later picks-

2013- Simon, Juice Check, Wagner, Lewis-Moore, Anthony, Mellette. We have hopes for some of these guys but let's see. We already cut Anthony.

2012- Gradkowski, Christian Thompson, Asa Jackson, Streeter, Tyson. We know of Gradkowski. He's probably the one player from day three picks that we tried to start in year 2 and we know how that worked out. Thompson and Streeter are gone. Tyson looks good for a few years slowly developing into a rotational player. Asa-the jury is still out.

2011- Doss, Chykie, McPhee, Tyrod, Anthony Allen. Overall a good group but no 1st year impact. McPhee looks like the best-and guess what? Next year is his last year before he becomes a free agent!

2010- Pitta, David Reed, Art Jones, harewood. Pitta rode the pine in Heap's last year. Jones has developed, but took his whole rookie contract to do so and another team will get his best years. Reed probably developed first as a returner. harewood: a project that never developed enough.

2009- Jason Phillips, Davon Drew, Cedric Peerman. Three strikes and we're out!

2008- Marcus Smith, David Hale, Nakamura, Justin Harper and Allen Patrick. Nakamura developed into an okay depth safety and special team guy. Harper was okay on special teams.

2007- Antwan Barnes, Le'Ron McClain, Troy Smith, Prescott Burgess. Decent players but again not the first year.

2006- you get the idea.

There are sprinkled in some good players who developed a couple years after they were drafted but it is almost unheard of for a day 3 draft pick to have a real impact in their rookie year. Given that and given that even though we probably will have some compensatory picks in rounds 4 and 5, this 2014 draft will only help us next year with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Three guys might make an impact. And hopefully an later round guy in previous years develops. What? You are asking about UFDA's? Yeah some develop-most don't of course-but Marlon Brown is the exception that proves the rule that UFDA's also don't make an impact first year.

Arthur Brown was also behind the gun because of the Pectoral injury he suffered earlier in the year which caused him to drop weight. There was an article in the Sun saying he fluctuated around the low 230's all year. He was a 3rd down LB for the majority of the season and we did end up with one of the best in the league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm aware they don't have a 4th and 5th currently.

Are the Ravens not allowed to trade future picks to move up?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Arthur Brown was also behind the gun because of the Pectoral injury he suffered earlier in the year which caused him to drop weight. There was an article in the Sun saying he fluctuated around the low 230's all year. He was a 3rd down LB for the majority of the season and we did end up with one of the best in the league.
    I think the weight thing can be a bit overblown at times for linebackers. Lavonte David (whom I realize does not play in a traditional 3-4 scheme) is 225-230lbs. He has been a fantastic linebacker.

Eric Kendricks, 5'11" 230lbs...he plays ILB in a 3-4 scheme up in Philly.

Lawrence Timmons is 235lbs and plays in a similar defense.

Watching TTU game now. Heard Jace Amaro played great

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Watching TTU game now. Heard Jace Amaro played great
    To me, Amaro would fill the same role that they already have with Pitta.

I think Austin Seferian-Jenkins or CJ Fiedorowicz would be better fits.

Blog Entries

UNC junior center, Russ Bodine, declares for the NFL.

6'4" 310lbs.

To me, Amaro would fill the same role that they already have with Pitta.

I think Austin Seferian-Jenkins or CJ Fiedorowicz would be better fits.
    pitta isn't as much of a mismatch or atheltic as amaro though. He'd be a receiving threat we just don't have

UNC junior center, Russ Bodine, declares for the NFL.

6'4" 310lbs.

Nice. I just happen to have a couple of UNC games on the DVR.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    pitta isn't as much of a mismatch or atheltic as amaro though. He'd be a receiving threat we just don't have
    So would several actual receivers.

Contested catch after contested catch over the middle by amaro. I'd love him and Matthews as a one two pick then someone like morgan Moses round 3 or 4.