Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mock Draft because why not?

First I hope the league never does this again, I don't care if they have to move it out of New York to do it, I just never want this dragged out draft again. With that said here goes, standard draft no trades and possible alternatives for each pick.

Round 1: Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    A pick that makes Ozzie and Ravens fans extremely happy and one that makes Rex Ryan very unhappy at 18. Gilbert has the prototypical size and build for a CB and the speed and fluidity to match up with receivers. Very good tackler who knows when to pick the ball out of the air. A threat to take it to the house either when picking off the ball (2 out of 7 picks went for touchdowns) or returning it (six kick return touchdowns) so the Ravens are also getting a guy who can handle returns. Some aspects of his game need to be ironed out as they'll turn into penalties in the league, but Gilbert could give the Ravens a nickel corner with the potential to be a starter if something happens to Webb or Jimmy.
    Alternatives: Brandin Cooks WR, Moses Martin OT, Calvin Pryor S, C.J. Mosley ILB, Odell Beckham Jr. WR, DT Stephen Tuitt

Round 2: Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State
    Has the size and strength to absorb the pass rush. Was very durable in college playing 49 consecutive games and was a team captain in college. Also played as a guard on both sides so he definitely has versatility though he played the vast majority of his career as a tackle on the left or right side.
    Alternatives: Bradley Roby CB, Timmy Jernigan DT, Davante Adams WR, Terrence Brooks S, Antonio Richardson OT, Joel Bitonio OG, Donte Moncrief WR, Troy Niklas TE

Round 3: Jarvis Landry WR LSU
    Had 76 receptions and only two drops in 2013. Was the best in third down receptions with 56% of receptions converting. Has excellent hands and will battle tight coverage and for the contested passes, good at getting yards after the catch and hard to tackle. Fearless over the middle. Has been favorably compared to Eric Decker and Anquan Boldin. Also was very good at special teams coverage with nine tackles on ST
    Alternatives: Antonio Richardson OT, Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB, Terrence West RB, Ed Reynolds S, Andre Williams RB, Bruce Ellington WR

Round 3: C.J. Fiedorwics, TE Iowa
    Very good blocker that held his own against defensive ends, which would give the Ravens a young blocker at TE. While not as fast as Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Eric Ebron he is still very athletic and would be a good target for Joe, especially on 3rd down redzone situation and at 6'6" he would be a huge mismatch. Pitta and Fiedorowicz could one day be one of the best two TE sets in the NFL, maybe sooner if Owen Daniels is injured.
    Alternatives: A.J. McCarron QB, Jared Abbrederis WR, Cyrus Kouandijo OT, Jordan Tripp OLB, De'Anthony Thomas RB, Kevin Norwood WR

Round 4: Jordan Zumwalt OLB UCLA
    High energy and a fierce competitor who seeks to deliver the hits. Has experience with blitzes and dropping back into coverage. Very physical player and when it came to his on-field play the word violent was considered an understatement, would definitely bring back that tough spirit to the Ravens defense. Could use some time in the weight room.
    Alternatives: Lache Seastrunk RB, Anthony Johnson DT, E.J. Gaines CB, Martavis Bryant WR, Robert Herron WR, Dion Bailey S, Charles Sims RB

Round 4: Antone Exum S/CB Virginia Tech
    Looks like an NFL safety and has the speed to handle man coverage duty, good at working in jump-ball situation and is a tough tackler. Possesses skills at corner as well which would help if something happened to the other corners. Also was very good in coverage units on special teams.
    Alternatives: Ricardo Allen CB, Dri Archer WR, E.J. Gaines CB, Marqueston Huff S,Jimmy Garoppolo QB

Round 5: Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford
    Tough running back who doesn't go down on the first hit and has the build to be a workhorse back and get those third-and-shorts/ goal line carries with his physical style of play. Also very good as a blocker and a backfield receiver.
    Alternatives: Chris Davis CB, Jerick McKinnon RB, Michael Sam DE, David Fales QB, Jeff Janis WR

Round 6: George Uko DT, Southern California
    I was conflicted here on whether to take a tackle or an ILB, but at this point an ILB would be looking to compete with McClellan and Bynes for depth and I'm confident in the Ravens ability to take an ILB late and make it work also I want frickin Terrence Cody gone. With that said Uko has the versatility to play at DT and DE and he has the ability to be a nuisance with his penetration that collapses the pocket especially during passing downs.
    Alternatives: Yawin Smallwood ILB, Storm Johnson RB, Zack Kerr DT, Jalen Saunders WR, Colt Lyerla TE, Michael Campanaro WR

Possible Undrafteds:

Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma: 2nd or 3rd round talent that suffered an ACL tear during the Senior Bowl. The Ravens could take him after the draft and even if he doesn't play in 2014 they can put him on IR and try him out in 2015.

Stephen Morris QB Miami: Has a long arm, and played in a pro-style offense at Miami. Could be a possible backup for Joe.

Marion Grice RB Arizona: Very good as a receiving back, and has the acceleration to get positive yardage and blow away defenders.

Senorise Perry RB Louisville: Quick back who can elude tacklers for the extra yard.

Chandler Jones WR San Jose: Quick receiver with the short area explosion to get himself space for the catch. Looks to be a #3-4 receiver that would be a possession target.

James Morris ILB Iowa: Good tackler, takes on blocks, pursues the ball, knows how to get through the line of scrimmage to make a tackle for loss, is always playing at full go.

Just get to the frickin' draft already.

Re: Mock Draft because why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    First I hope the league never does this again, I don't care if they have to move it out of New York to do it, I just never want this dragged out draft again. With that said here goes, standard draft no trades and possible alternatives for each pick.
    Well PFT is reporting the NFL is considering pushing the draft back even further so it may get even worse. Report: NFL weighing conducting the draft “a week or two later” in 2015 | ProFootballTalk (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1uAN0Qz
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Interesting. I gotta say though that Jordan Zumwalt is way way way overrated. He's an asshole without the athleticism to back it up. Any opposing team will take advantage of his attitude. Career special teamer until he gets cut after his rookie contract is up.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    Well PFT is reporting the NFL is considering pushing the draft back even further so it may get even worse. Report: NFL weighing conducting the draft “a week or two later” in 2015 | ProFootballTalk (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1uAN0Qz
    What that article doesn't say is that is has become a consideration in part because some of the draftees have commented that a later draft has been helpful to them in the pursuit of their degrees. Most colleges are in the midst of or finishing up finals by this time, so a couple of weeks later means the NFL can look like it is doing the altruistic thing (even though we know it is all about the money).

Cool Re: Mock Draft because why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post

Round 1: Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    A pick that makes Ozzie and Ravens fans extremely happy and one that makes Rex Ryan very unhappy at 18. Gilbert has the prototypical size and build for a CB and the speed and fluidity to match up with receivers. Very good tackler who knows when to pick the ball out of the air. A threat to take it to the house either when picking off the ball (2 out of 7 picks went for touchdowns) or returning it (six kick return touchdowns) so the Ravens are also getting a guy who can handle returns. Some aspects of his game need to be ironed out as they'll turn into penalties in the league, but Gilbert could give the Ravens a nickel corner with the potential to be a starter if something happens to Webb or Jimmy.
    Alternatives: Brandin Cooks WR, Moses Martin OT, Calvin Pryor S, C.J. Mosley ILB, Odell Beckham Jr. WR, DT Stephen Tuitt

Round 2: Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State
    Has the size and strength to absorb the pass rush. Was very durable in college playing 49 consecutive games and was a team captain in college. Also played as a guard on both sides so he definitely has versatility though he played the vast majority of his career as a tackle on the left or right side.
    Alternatives: Bradley Roby CB, Timmy Jernigan DT, Davante Adams WR, Terrence Brooks S, Antonio Richardson OT, Joel Bitonio OG, Donte Moncrief WR, Troy Niklas TE

Round 3: Jarvis Landry WR LSU
    Had 76 receptions and only two drops in 2013. Was the best in third down receptions with 56% of receptions converting. Has excellent hands and will battle tight coverage and for the contested passes, good at getting yards after the catch and hard to tackle. Fearless over the middle. Has been favorably compared to Eric Decker and Anquan Boldin. Also was very good at special teams coverage with nine tackles on ST
    Alternatives: Antonio Richardson OT, Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB, Terrence West RB, Ed Reynolds S, Andre Williams RB, Bruce Ellington WR

Round 3: C.J. Fiedorwics, TE Iowa
    Very good blocker that held his own against defensive ends, which would give the Ravens a young blocker at TE. While not as fast as Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Eric Ebron he is still very athletic and would be a good target for Joe, especially on 3rd down redzone situation and at 6'6" he would be a huge mismatch. Pitta and Fiedorowicz could one day be one of the best two TE sets in the NFL, maybe sooner if Owen Daniels is injured.
    Alternatives: A.J. McCarron QB, Jared Abbrederis WR, Cyrus Kouandijo OT, Jordan Tripp OLB, De'Anthony Thomas RB, Kevin Norwood WR

Round 4: Jordan Zumwalt OLB UCLA
    High energy and a fierce competitor who seeks to deliver the hits. Has experience with blitzes and dropping back into coverage. Very physical player and when it came to his on-field play the word violent was considered an understatement, would definitely bring back that tough spirit to the Ravens defense. Could use some time in the weight room.
    Alternatives: Lache Seastrunk RB, Anthony Johnson DT, E.J. Gaines CB, Martavis Bryant WR, Robert Herron WR, Dion Bailey S, Charles Sims RB

Round 4: Antone Exum S/CB Virginia Tech
    Looks like an NFL safety and has the speed to handle man coverage duty, good at working in jump-ball situation and is a tough tackler. Possesses skills at corner as well which would help if something happened to the other corners. Also was very good in coverage units on special teams.
    Alternatives: Ricardo Allen CB, Dri Archer WR, E.J. Gaines CB, Marqueston Huff S,Jimmy Garoppolo QB

Round 5: Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford
    Tough running back who doesn't go down on the first hit and has the build to be a workhorse back and get those third-and-shorts/ goal line carries with his physical style of play. Also very good as a blocker and a backfield receiver.
    Alternatives: Chris Davis CB, Jerick McKinnon RB, Michael Sam DE, David Fales QB, Jeff Janis WR

Round 6: George Uko DT, Southern California
    I was conflicted here on whether to take a tackle or an ILB, but at this point an ILB would be looking to compete with McClellan and Bynes for depth and I'm confident in the Ravens ability to take an ILB late and make it work also I want frickin Terrence Cody gone. With that said Uko has the versatility to play at DT and DE and he has the ability to be a nuisance with his penetration that collapses the pocket especially during passing downs.
    Alternatives: Yawin Smallwood ILB, Storm Johnson RB, Zack Kerr DT, Jalen Saunders WR, Colt Lyerla TE, Michael Campanaro WR

Possible Undrafteds:

Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma: 2nd or 3rd round talent that suffered an ACL tear during the Senior Bowl. The Ravens could take him after the draft and even if he doesn't play in 2014 they can put him on IR and try him out in 2015.

Stephen Morris QB Miami: Has a long arm, and played in a pro-style offense at Miami. Could be a possible backup for Joe.

Marion Grice RB Arizona: Very good as a receiving back, and has the acceleration to get positive yardage and blow away defenders.

Senorise Perry RB Louisville: Quick back who can elude tacklers for the extra yard.

Chandler Jones WR San Jose: Quick receiver with the short area explosion to get himself space for the catch. Looks to be a #3-4 receiver that would be a possession target.

James Morris ILB Iowa: Good tackler, takes on blocks, pursues the ball, knows how to get through the line of scrimmage to make a tackle for loss, is always playing at full go.

Just get to the frickin' draft already.
    If Gilbert is there I hope they either run to the podium and grab him or trade down and bleed some team for picks that wants him (Niners/Eagles anyone?) or a team desperate for a QB (Jags/Cardinals/etc.).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I've heard that from other sources as well. They think that the end of May could mean bigger ratings and ratings is what this is all about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I've heard that from other sources as well. They think that the end of May could mean bigger ratings and ratings is what this is all about.
    You know what's funny, with all the hype and mock drafts and Mock v515.1 etc. I've paid less attention to the draft this year than I ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Interesting. I gotta say though that Jordan Zumwalt is way way way overrated. He's an asshole without the athleticism to back it up. Any opposing team will take advantage of his attitude. Career special teamer until he gets cut after his rookie contract is up.
    He'd be a role player in my opinion, probably manning the pass rush. Which in my opinion is realistic of a 4th a guy who makes the roster as a role player. However I will admit that I like my alternatives better (especially Anthony Johnson) and I admit that outside of some elite prospect it's a weak draft at OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    If Gilbert is there I hope they either run to the podium and grab him or trade down and bleed some team for picks that wants him (Niners/Eagles anyone?) or a team desperate for a QB (Jags/Cardinals/etc.).
    I wouldn't call the Cardinals desperate, or the Jags. Palmer has a few years left and Henne can play in front of a developing QB. But I wouldn't trade out if Gilbert was near.

One potential undrafted I forgot was Xavier Grimble. Good blocker/short passing option but that's his limit, not very fast and not the most sure-handed TE.

Blog Entries

I can't wait until tomorrow. These things get tiring after the 1 millionth thread on the same thing. Please don't let Greedell push this back any further.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    You know what's funny, with all the hype and mock drafts and Mock v515.1 etc. I've paid less attention to the draft this year than I ever have.
    HI NC. Haven't seen you in a while. Now I know why-lol.

Ditto on the draft. I usually have a good idea for round 1. Last year it was either Cyprien or Elam most of us wanted. This year I have no idea now that Zack Martin has climbed to #12. Ravens didn't even interview him and said he was OG, not OT. Calvin Pryor, next guy up for me but they didn't interview him either. Looks like its gonna be a D guy, HA HA, Jimmy Ward, Mosley or Nix or somebody like that but I have no idea whom.

Ravens didn't interview Bitonio, OT from Nevada who just went up to first round but did interview Morgan Moses the massive OT from VA but he's projected to go at bottom of first.

They did interview Gabe Jackson, o-lineman from Ole Miss and might have a shot at him in 2d round if they take a D guy in first.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-08-2014 at 12:08 AM.