Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Mellette

Aaron Mellette

Along with Marlon he was showing some reliability in the preseason and made it past the final cuts. I was intrigued by him and thought he wouldn't be drafted so low. The Ravens are going to be tight under the cap and will lose Doss,Stokley,and Jones in 2014. They won't be making any big WR signings if any and will definitely count on what guys they already have along with a draft pick or two. I'm not saying he'll be Marques Colston Jr. but I wouldn't rule him out of being a solid WR, after all an undrafted has the most TDs this season.

Blog Entries

Re: Aaron Mellette

Tandon and Jacoby are probably gone. Deonte will be in the mix.

We also still have Gerrard Sheppard and Kamar Aiken on PS .... Aiken I don't know a lot about (Bills, Bears PS, did make Patriots roster for a game or two)

The encouraging thing is that we seem to have turned a corner on WR. For years it was like we had no luck with WR... actually it was we had flawed evaluation... the names can roll off most of our tongues....
    then with Torrey, we seemed to turn a corner, and Marlon rises, Mellette is intriguing .... don't know exactly what evaluation parameters changed or if we now have a talented eye in the coaching ranks (or got rid of a bad eye), but I have a lot of hope that we will start culling decent WR and not have to buy others used ones (and I mean absolutely no slur towards Mase or Boldin or Qadry ... just that it is about time we uncover our own, and I think we will be doing that)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Mellette will have every chance to secure a roster spot.

He has a lot of upside, that's for sure. I'm rooting for him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Mellette looked good in limited action. But relying on a 7th. rd pick to blow up is a long shot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Mellette looked good in limited action. But relying on a 7th. rd pick to blow up is a long shot.
    You're absolutely right, look at Tommy Streeter. OTOH, gotta consider a guy like Marlon Brown (UDFA). Let's hope the Ravens strike gold with Mellette, although I'm inclined to go along with your way of thinking here... Bc

Blog Entries

While I certainly hope for the best for Mellette I still think the front office needs to focus on the offense during the draft. If Mike Evans is there in the 1st-round, do you really want to see another defensive player drafted, even if they're considered "1st-round" talent? I certainly don't!

It's time to stop dicking around with the offense and giving Joe good options; it's time to step up and give him "great" options like a Mike Evans or TE Eric Ebron. Hell, I'm even good with a top-level lineman...but to neglect the offense in the first few rounds would be deleterious IMO!

After a year on the team and working the weights these guys should be even better. You need a good year to bulk up to meet the physical demands. They might have been the bigger size players in college but in the NFL all the players are big.

Why is Torrey gone he's not a free agent until 2015 and he might get an early extension?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    The encouraging thing is that we seem to have turned a corner on WR.
    Disagree vehemently. Torrey is not prospering having to be the #1 receiver, Marlon was a luck-into, JJ & Doss are probably gone, & everyone else is an unproven project.

The day this team "turns the corner" at WR is the day they fire Jim Hostler, who by all evidence couldn't train anyone how to walk & chew gum at the same time, & bring in someone who can actually teach young receivers how to play the position at an NFL level. Until then it'll be the same damn fustercluck...

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Disagree vehemently. Torrey is not prospering having to be the #1 receiver, Marlon was a luck-into, JJ & Doss are probably gone, & everyone else is an unproven project.

The day this team "turns the corner" at WR is the day they fire Jim Hostler, who by all evidence couldn't train anyone how to walk & chew gum at the same time, & bring in someone who can actually teach young receivers how to play the position at an NFL level. Until then it'll be the same damn fustercluck...
    :respect

Torrey's the best receiver this team has ever drafted and is 101 yards away from the record. There's a handful of instances where if Joe hit Torrey in stride he would've taken it to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    There has to be a reason why most other NFL teams can develop WRs yet the Ravens just don't seem to be able to do so with any regularity. I've long thought the coaching might be the case.