Blog Entries

Re: Worst salary caps? Cowboys, Saints, Steelers lead way

Pitt will have to make some tough decisions

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yes they will. Ben apparently wants to stay.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Yes they will. Ben apparently wants to stay.
    Shampoo is probably gone and they'll kick themselves for some of those contracts they extended

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Skins aren't on this list? I'm surprised
    Because of their MASSIVE cap penalties in the last two years, they will suddenly have an extra 18 mil in cap space for the 2014 league year. They did a lot of shady work to keep their roster intact this past year, but I don't believe they heavily loaded any of their cap dollars this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Cowboys wasted DeMarcus Ware's last year (probably) by putting him in a 4-3. He wasn't nearly as effective and they'll likely have to cut him after this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Because of their MASSIVE cap penalties in the last two years, they will suddenly have an extra 18 mil in cap space for the 2014 league year. They did a lot of shady work to keep their roster intact this past year, but I don't believe they heavily loaded any of their cap dollars this year.
    Surprisingly, the Redskins are on the top ten "Best" list:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-cap-situation
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

I know. Look for a few familiar names to be gone. I am not worried though - there are threads here every year on the Pitt Cap situation, and it always works itself out. It is not like they won't field a team. There will be a few new teams on the Cap Trouble List next year, and Pitt won't be one of them.

They are in a psuedo-rebuild. With rookies Bell, Shamarko, DeCastro, and even Adams who has easily been the most improved player on the team, I am confident for next year. Add to that Wheaton, and Jones who is slowly finding his way, I feel they will be competitive. Roethlisberger does want to stay, and will work things out. I give this team another year to two to gel, with maybe a serious run in 2-4 years. After that, with Roethlisberger more than likely ready to hang it up, I think that will be when the real retooling begins.

I would say Troy P, Kiesel, and Ike T. are at a 50% chance of being gone. My prediction Woodely is gone, they will take the hit. They will need to lower the salaries of the aforementioned players or cut loose to afford Jason W., who just might test FA before settling on signing a moderate contract with the Steelers.

For sure next year will be interesting with the decline of the Ravens and the Steelers, and the emergence of the Bengals. Are we even talking about the Browns anymore? I sure do feel for that crowd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    I know. Look for a few familiar names to be gone. I am not worried though - there are threads here every year on the Pitt Cap situation, and it always works itself out. It is not like they won't field a team. There will be a few new teams on the Cap Trouble List next year, and Pitt won't be one of them.

They are in a psuedo-rebuild. With rookies Bell, Shamarko, DeCastro, and even Adams who has easily been the most improved player on the team, I am confident for next year. Add to that Wheaton, and Jones who is slowly finding his way, I feel they will be competitive. Roethlisberger does want to stay, and will work things out. I give this team another year to two to gel, with maybe a serious run in 2-4 years. After that, with Roethlisberger more than likely ready to hang it up, I think that will be when the real retooling begins.

I would say Troy P, Kiesel, and Ike T. are at a 50% chance of being gone. My prediction Woodely is gone, they will take the hit. They will need to lower the salaries of the aforementioned players or cut loose to afford Jason W., who just might test FA before settling on signing a moderate contract with the Steelers.

For sure next year will be interesting with the decline of the Ravens and the Steelers, and the emergence of the Bengals. Are we even talking about the Browns anymore? I sure do feel for that crowd.
    Is kind of odd to have both teams in a bit of a rebuild mode. Do you really think they'll cut Woodley, I thought the cap hit was huge? I know he's not as good as Worilds but figured they would have to bite the bullet and keep them both due to all of the dead money in Woodley's contract over the next few years.

I am not an expert, but I think Woodley's hit would be a few million at most. That is quite a bit, but I am not convinced management is not willing to part ways at that price. But somehow, if they drop him after the summer whoo-ha-ha stuff, it is less. Surely somebody who is much more shrewd with such topics could verify. They could keep him as a backup - which seems insane after reflecting upon his performance a as recently as the year-before-last, but he has been injured consistently. To compound his situation, the injuries have not been outright; mostly hamstrings, a calf here and there, etc. Additionally, his weight has been an issue, despite being in what appears to be better shape this year, he managed to spend time off the field due to injury.

Worilds has been doing well on Woodley's side of the field while he was off holding an ice bag on various parts of his legs. That presents a problem - switch positions outright (for the record, Woodley stated he did not care), keep Worilds at his new position and find a replacement for Woodley on the cheap while letting him go, keep both, put Worilds back on the other side, and put in a replacement for Woodley while keeping him for a backup?With only one game to go, and not much to mete everything out with other than some games at the end of the season, it is anyone's guess at this point. I don't even think the FO has an idea at this point.

Is kind of odd to have both teams in a bit of a rebuild mode. Do you really think they'll cut Woodley, I thought the cap hit was huge? I know he's not as good as Worilds but figured they would have to bite the bullet and keep them both due to all of the dead money in Woodley's contract over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post

Seriously this is seriously funny in it's outrageousness. Pittsburgh used to be good at managing it's cap. Somewhere towards the end of the last decade however they lost all cap dicipline when they started throwing restructured and extended contracts all over the place as if acting like Daniel Snyder would point to success-unlike a Daniel Snyder team.

Pittsburgh has been in cap jail for a few years now and will continue to be there for a few more years. Their cap problems have taken them out of serious contention in the AFC North. When was the last time they made the playoffs? Oh yeah when they lost to the Tebows three years ago. It will be at least three more years before they get their shit together to contend again. They are needing to shed core players and since they are cap strapped they don;t have adequate replacements. Worilds' would be insane to take a moderate contract with the Steelers especially seeing inferior players like Kruger and Ellerbe cash in last year to a tune that Pittsburgh can't match. Restructuring the likes of Timmons and Brown will once again just be kicking their cap problems down the line ensuring more years of non-competitiveness.

Losing the likes of declining but still core players due solely to cap issues like Polamalu, Taylor, and Kiesel without having ready replacements does not make a competitive team. If that's what you think is acceptable then welcome to Pallookaville. Population: you.

For the forseeable future our division has Cincy with (hopefully) the Ravens fighting it out for the title. If the Clowns can get any sort of QB in the draft then their chances of joining the Big 2 are way better than Pittsburgh's.