Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: A&E Suspends Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty

Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Just curious, but anyone wanna defend Robertson's statements that black people were happier under Jim Crow laws?

No wants to touch those comments, because they are indefensible.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    No wants to touch those comments, because they are indefensible.
    Well, I'm <i>hoping</i> no one wants to try and defend them.

Well, I'm <i>hoping</i> no one wants to try and defend them.

I've seen people try and defend it.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. ...They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word! ...Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Show me where he said they were happier under Jim Crow laws? I'm sorry, I'll point you to the link.

youreanidiot.com

He said that they were happier pre-entitlement programs. Ever considered that maybe he was right? Ever stop to think that maybe humans, as has been shown throughout history, are happier working towards a goal than having things handed to 'em? No, you probably didn't. In your mind the only path to true happiness is the Government.

Robertson never said anything about Jim Crow laws, or that black people were happier being slaves. You're just incapable of doing any research and blasting your barely cognizant drivel on a subject you have no clue about.

But what do I know. I'm only capable of looking up something before I talk about it.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I'm more offended by another inference that black people are lazy and welfare leaches. It would have sounded better if that statement included Americans of all races and backgrounds.

I don't think he's racist...ignorant to a degree, but not hateful.

You weren't going to see too many black people expressing anger/frustration at "whitey" in the south during Jim Crow times on the fields because lynching was still very real.

The homosexual comments to me were pretty tame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I can see where that could be implied, even if I don't think that was what he meant. Saying something like, "people were happier working than living on welfare", would've been much better.

But to claim Robertson said that blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws is a blatant lie.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. ...They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word! ...Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Show me where he said they were happier under Jim Crow laws? I'm sorry, I'll point you to the link.

youreanidiot.com

He said that they were happier pre-entitlement programs. Ever considered that maybe he was right? Ever stop to think that maybe humans, as has been shown throughout history, are happier working towards a goal than having things handed to 'em? No, you probably didn't. In your mind the only path to true happiness is the Government.

Robertson never said anything about Jim Crow laws, or that black people were happier being slaves. You're just incapable of doing any research and blasting your barely cognizant drivel on a subject you have no clue about.

But what do I know. I'm only capable of looking up something before I talk about it.
    Please enlighten me... What time period do you think he was talking about?

How can you not see that he's making a dumb statement about supposedly being able to relate to blacks in the south at a time when they had to fear redneck justice if they even looked at a white woman the wrong way? Consider that he started at LTU in 1966, just a year after Jim Crow laws were repealed. Are you telling me this was after he went to college? He just got his degrees and then went to go work on farms picking cotton afterwards?

He uses the whole thing as a preface to blasting blacks on welfare as if there aren't a boatload of poor white people on welfare themselves.

The only possible defense is that he's an idiot who didn't realize there were different rules for whites and blacks in the time period he's talking about.

Thanks for the hateful personal attacks by the way. They really drive your point home.

Last edited by OhThePossibilities; 12-26-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I've seen people try and defend it.
    And now so have I. Oh well.

Please enlighten me... What time period do you think he was talking about?

How can you not see that he's making a dumb statement about supposedly being able to relate to blacks in the south at a time when they had to fear redneck justice if they even looked at a white woman the wrong way? Consider that he started at LSU in 1966, just a year after Jim Crow laws were repealed. Are you telling me this was after he went to college? He just got his degrees and then went to go work on farms picking cotton afterwards?

He uses the whole thing as a preface to blasting blacks on welfare as if there aren't a boatload of poor white people on welfare themselves.

The only possible defense is that he's an idiot who didn't realize there were different rules for whites and blacks in the time period he's talking about.

Thanks for the hateful personal attacks by the way. They really drive your point home.

Thanks for proving my point.

Show me where he said blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws. If you can't, you're a liar.
    ProFootballMock

Show me where he said blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws. If you can't, you're a liar.
    He said they were singing and happy at that time and then juxtaposed it against later times.

1+1=2 no matter how you wanna spin it.

He was speaking about a time when Jim Crow laws were in effect. He claimed that in that time blacks were happier.

If I say that people were happier in the 1930s and you respond by saying people were actually pretty bummed during the Great Depression, I don't get to claim I wasn't talking about the Great Depression I was talking about the 30s. They're simultaneous eras.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron