Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So Kyle Juszczyk..what is he going to do?

He's a fullback and the Ravens have almost completely phased out the fullback from the offense. But he's a draft pick and a mid-rounder at that. Aside from an incomplete pass in Miami I've never seen Juszczyk on the field outside of special teams as Anthony Allen's replacement. But I don't believe that the Ravens would invest a pick that high on a special teamer. Do they have bigger plans or would they use him as a blocker?

Blog Entries

Re: So Kyle Juszczyk..what is he going to do?

I think they envision using him the way the 49ers use Bruce Miller.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think they envision using him the way the 49ers use Bruce Miller.
    putting him on IR?

I don't think Leach's lack of playing time means Harbs is phasing out the fullback position.

Rather, it's a function if how bad our running game was / is this year. Were simply not in the position very often where you'd want to run Leach.

Juice will have an increased role next season, assuming we fix the offensive issues properly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't think Leach's lack of playing time means Harbs is phasing out the fullback position.

Rather, it's a function if how bad our running game was / is this year. Were simply not in the position very often where you'd want to run Leach.

Juice will have an increased role next season, assuming we fix the offensive issues properly.
    that's the way I see it. Plus Juice has excellent hands and can even play TE. He's cheap, they'll work him in slowly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think he's played ST very well this season. He's a pretty fast guy. With Leach and Dickson departing this team during the offseason I see Juice taking on their roles. He'll come in at FB and see some TE work. I wonder if he can be a short yardage back too. We'll see

Blog Entries

Juszczyk is earning his keep on ST this year but I look for him to have a significant role in the offense next season--if not before. He was essentially an H-back at Hahvahd--a half-dozen carries & a passle of receptions. He catches well, he's fast (czech out who's running interference for Jacoby on that TD vs the Vikes), & he's a load to bring down. They'll put him in the backfield in 2-back sets & motion him out or shift him to the slot or keep him in to pick up blitzers & then slip out into the flat or lead block or... He won't ever be the blocking machine that Leach is, but they have so many options on how to use him that defensive hesitation will more than compensate.

I'm excited to see what the kid can do with the rock in space.

Blog Entries

I really do wish they would have gotten him more involved in the passing game. I think he could have offered a couple of plays here and there for the offense this year.

I see him as an H-back player next year.

My REAL hope is that they bring in an innovative and creative offensive coordinator who will use everything at his disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

My view on this is that Juice and Leach are not the same type of FB...

Leach is a traditional, pounding lead blocker. He can catch some, but not much. He can run some, but not much. 85% of his value is solely as a run blocker in the backfield.

Juice Check can do a number of things, or at least could at the college level. His blocking skills are getting some show on ST. Not as good as Leach's are, but they are capable. He's also a better runner and pass catcher. So, Juice is more like an H-back.

I believe we've seen from this year, the Ravens want to go to more of that 11 personnel for their base formation (For those of you like me who have been confused by hearing these numbers, here's a breakdown from BR: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nnel-groupings). We want to move away from lining up 2 backs in the backfield, instead putting more pass catchers out wide. Pitta is being used as a move tight end, so in some/lots of cases, he almost becomes your 3rd WR. In that case, you can have Juice Check be your TE. With that formation, you have a lot of flexibility to move the pieces around and run the no-huddle. Juice can drop into the backfield as a 2nd back, he can even split out wide if you want to go to 4 options split out.

Leach might occasionally be lined up in more of a TE position, but I bet he's never lined up split wide, because it totally removes his optimal skill set. Much like Gradkowski got his sink or swim year this year, Juice will get his next year. Leach will be gone and the Ravens will run their desired formations with him taking over. Then, we will get to see how his college capabilities translate on an NFL level.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Nothing against Juice, but Keenan Allen would have looked real nice in a Ravens uniform. Could have easily added a late-round pick to go up and get him as he slid. Was expecting to get him in the third, but I've got no objections to Branden Williams there. Still... feels like we don't do a very good job investing in the WR position. Let's hope we fix that in the first or second this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I really do wish they would have gotten him more involved in the passing game. I think he could have offered a couple of plays here and there for the offense this year.

I see him as an H-back player next year.

My REAL hope is that they bring in an innovative and creative offensive coordinator who will use everything at his disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Innovation and Creativity begin with a O line that can block - minus that all you can attempt to do is hold the D a bay enough not to get you QB killed. Which is what has happened this year.

Blog Entries

I didnt really want Leach back once we cut him. I think the writing was on the wall last year when we barely used him when Caldwell took over. Juice could easily be an adequate FB the few plays Leach is getting from what ive seen of him on STs. Honestly I have no problem with them spending a 4th on a guy opening holes on ST at such a high rate. I think just about every one of our ST TDs Ive seen him leading the way, at least recently.

That said, I think his skillset is unique. I would have liked to have seen him more involved at TE/H-back. He has good hands runs decent routes I really dont see why he couldnt have filled in for Clark. however, i think he is a bit smaller so there was probably a time and place for both of them. I dont see the team not using him next year. Maybe learning 3 postions was a bit much to ask of even a harvard grad.
    -JAB