Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112
    Blog Entries

Re: Our first round pick in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't really see a receiver for whom physicality stands out to me in this draft, but once upon a time Hakeem Nicks brought a physical presence to the field. If that hasn't totally evaporated from injuries and poor play over the last few years, maybe he's worth a look to add that edge we now lack.
    You make a very good point about Nicks. He's only 26, and although he's had two "off" years in a row, he's still young enough to (hopefully) recapture his 2010/2011 productivity. If Ozzie sees him as RPRP, then perhaps the Ravens will look elsewhere (other than WR) in round 1... Bc

Blog Entries

Hard to trust nicks. He has a ring. Has some $. Injuries+ will power are big concerns for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Hard to trust nicks. He has a ring. Has some $. Injuries+ will power are big concerns for me.
    True, but he's only 26 years old and he's not going to command anywhere near the $$$ that he could get if he puts up another great season.

Bring him in on a vet minimum deal and let him earn that big paycheck.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

4. Re: Our first round pick in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    True, but he's only 26 years old and he's not going to command anywhere near the $$$ that he could get if he puts up another great season.

Bring him in on a vet minimum deal and let him earn that big paycheck.
    Nicks is signing anywhere for a vet minimum deal, no chance in hell.

Also, Marlon Brown was a rookie, and I think he can flourish in a Kubiak offense. Give him another season in the weight room, I think he'll be a fine #2 for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    agree...I had a pretty nasty hamstring injury in High school, did the whole PT thing twice... Never could sprint FULL OUT again without re-injuring it. Now I dont have a NFL training team, but hamstrings can be a constant lingering issue. NYG receivers just don't play well outisde of NY. Mario manningham was a bust for SF... Nicks is done.

Blog Entries

Kiper has us taking Ebron at 16 or 17 if he is there. He could go earlier. If so he likes Lee or Evans.

Kiper has us taking Ebron of UNC in first round.

“If [tight end] Eric Ebron from North Carolina is there, he’s a heck of a pick,” Kiper said Thursday during a national conference call. “They need a tight end desperately added to this team.”

Kiper has the Ravens taking Ebron in his latest mock draft. The Ravens have either the No. 16 or 17 pick, and the exact pick will be determined at the combine later this month after a coin flip with the Dallas Cowboys.

Ebron, 6-foot-4, 231 pounds, was a highly productive player during his three years at North Carolina. He racked up 62 catches for 973 yards and three touchdowns last season.

He brings a good mix of size and speed, and he would give the Ravens a talented pass catcher to work the middle of the field. Bringing in a new tight end is a priority this offseason, especially with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson both unrestricted free agents.

“Ed Dickson moves on, they’ve got Pitta, but Ebron to me is a guy who could really help Joe Flacco and be a viable pick at that point,” Kiper said.

www.baltimoreravens.com
    Ebron has generated some buzz as a potential top-15 pick, and Kiper said that Ravens may not get a chance to take him if they stay at their current pick.

“If he goes earlier, then maybe you look at Marquise Lee, a wide receiver from USC, or Mike Evans, a wide receiver from Texas A&M,” Kiper said.

Blog Entries

Ebron certainly would add to the offense's ability to go down the field, that's for sure.

I would like the Ravens to go OL with the first pick. Seems to me they could get a WR in Rd 2 that is comparable to who they could get in round 1.

Morgan Moses. Trade down if need be, but that is the man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    ...no. Not in round 1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    Moses ? He'd have to part Chesapeake Bay to walk into Baltimore as a first round pick... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It is more than just being able to separate though. Separation doesn't necessarily mean that a receiver has to be fast enough to run away from a defender to catch the ball. Yes, that would be great to have, but it is hard to find guys who are pristine route runners coming right out of college. Even the top-rated receiver (Watkins) in this year's draft class isn't known for his exceptional routes.

IMO, I think separation can be schemed by the offensive design. What I really look for is a receiver who can just flat out catch passes that are within his grasp. All of last season I felt like our receivers had to be wide open if they were going to make the reception. I really want to see Baltimore get a guy who is ok with having to make contested receptions. I want a guy who is good to go with fighting a defender for a pass.

We have seen schemes, bunched WR running a very borderline pick play or a funky crossing to get someone open for a split second.

Problem was we also needed people to catch fastballs that could quickly get to a not necessarily a small window but a fleeting window, and we had 2 TE who needed soft lobs to catch .....

Positioning is a good skill to have, hands like a vise (Boldin) is great, contesting every ball is great but I really want to see someone that when the ball hits his hands, it sticks at every speed.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old