Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: WRs ....the 2014 version

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    So I'll be banging the drum pretty damn hard for Jared Abbrederis (aka Abracadabra).
    Not sure where yet.
    Probably no higher than the 3rd round.
    He just looks like a feisty guy...Danny Amendola'ish...

He destroyed Bradley Roby when Wisconsin played OSU and Roby was looked at as a top 15 potential pick at the start of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like Matthews too...he reminds me more of Jordy Nelson though...I'd love to have him.

The guy that reminds me of Boldin in this draft is Davante Adams.

There are indeed a lot of combinations....fortunately this draft seems to likely have solid to good depth at spots we could use some help...the lines, WR and TE. Last years draft was similar in that regard.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see us take a ILB in the middle rounds as well.

Not many top free safeties though it looks like.

I need to watch him more but I'm not really high on Matthews. The big problem with him is separation... or lack thereof. If he can't separate at all from college corners, he's not going to separate in the pro's, especially not in our ultra-vanilla scheme that does nothing to help guys get open. He can still catch contested passes, but IMO for this offense to really thrive they need a guy who can separate at will.

Abbrederis is kind of a similar prospect... just not a real "quick twitch" guy. He is a good route runner, though, and he has some underrated shiftiness with the ball in his hands... he reminds me of Tandon Doss as a prospect, but with better technique.

Outside of Lamarcus Joyner (who I'm not sure where he actually plays as a pro, he's going to be a Tyrann Mathieu type of movable chess piece), I'm not really excited by any safeties in the class. HaHa Clinton-Dix especially is perhaps the class's most overrated prospect... not saying he's bad, but most mocks have him going top-15, and I wouldn't take a safety that high unless he was a blue chip prospect, which Clinton-Dix is not. I think the Ravens will grab a high-upside safety in the mid rounds to develop--hopefully not another Christian Thompson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I see a lot of Boldin in Matthews. He catches anything that's thrown to him, and he outmuscles corners on contested balls. I wouldn't midn him in a trade back scenario. ASJ and Matthews in the 2nd, while landing a 4th rd pick would be ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like Matthews too...he reminds me more of Jordy Nelson though...I'd love to have him.

The guy that reminds me of Boldin in this draft is Davante Adams.

There are indeed a lot of combinations....fortunately this draft seems to likely have solid to good depth at spots we could use some help...the lines, WR and TE. Last years draft was similar in that regard.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see us take a ILB in the middle rounds as well.

Not many top free safeties though it looks like.

I've been on the Jordan Matthews train since last year. Welcome aboard.

He plays in the SEC, is the best offensive player for Vanderbilt and has below average QB play. Yet, all he does is make plays and make tough, contested receptions. He's got excellent size and he has underrated speed for his size.

I'd love to see Matthews here. He'd be an ideal compliment to Torrey and Marlon, IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I need to watch him more but I'm not really high on Matthews. The big problem with him is separation... or lack thereof. If he can't separate at all from college corners, he's not going to separate in the pro's, especially not in our ultra-vanilla scheme that does nothing to help guys get open. He can still catch contested passes, but IMO for this offense to really thrive they need a guy who can separate at will.
    A lot of folks said the same thing about Alshon Jeffery when he came out.

Just look at the competition Matthews faced in the SEC, how he produced and then look who was throwing him the ball.

Matthews is a very realistic option for us that I would love.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    A lot of folks said the same thing about Alshon Jeffery when he came out.

Just look at the competition Matthews faced in the SEC, how he produced and then look who was throwing him the ball.
    I'm still analyzing his play, but I can see us being very enamored with Matthews' persona and presence. He interviews with quite a bit of polish for a college kid.

One thing that I'm trying to looking into going forward for all of the top WR prospects is their performances vs. DB/ team secondary match-ups. I pulled the teams listed below not from stats, but from "how many star prospects they had". So clearly, there's a subjective tilt. Also, I've included the final score, which only alludes to the notion of some instances of "garbage time stats" vs. back-ups or vs. prevent coverage, for example. That's subjective also...the box score and differential for each game needs to be checked.

2012 top SEC DB/secondaries:
    Bama (DNP)
    LSU (DNP)
    Miss State (DNP)
    Georgia (8/119/0; 48-3 loss)
    Florida (8/131/1; 31-17 loss)

2013 top SEC DB/secondaries:
    Florida (5/45/0; 34-17 loss)
    Mizzou (7/123/0; 51-28 loss)
    Bama (DNP)

So right now, this just raises more questions (leading to more analysis), but I'll weed it out before May and will account for ALL of the appropriate stats and game situations, I'm just using Matthews for a trial run here.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm still analyzing his play, but I can see us being very enamored with Matthews' persona and presence. He interviews with quite a bit of polish for a college kid.

One thing that I'm trying to looking into going forward for all of the top WR prospects is their performances vs. DB/ team secondary match-ups. I pulled the teams listed below not from stats, but from "how many star prospects they had". So clearly, there's a subjective tilt. Also, I've included the final score, which only alludes to the notion of some instances of "garbage time stats" vs. back-ups or vs. prevent coverage, for example. That's subjective also...the box score and differential for each game needs to be checked.

2012 top SEC DB/secondaries:
    Bama (DNP)
    LSU (DNP)
    Miss State (DNP)
    Georgia (8/119/0; 48-3 loss)
    Florida (8/131/1; 31-17 loss)

2013 top SEC DB/secondaries:
    Florida (5/45/0; 34-17 loss)
    Mizzou (7/123/0; 51-28 loss)
    Bama (DNP)

So right now, this just raises more questions (leading to more analysis), but I'll weed it out before May and will account for ALL of the appropriate stats and game situations, I'm just using Matthews for a trial run here.

Texas A&M has a pretty damn good secondary as well. 8 for 92.

He also had 100+ yards the last three games of the season against Tennessee, Wake Forrest and Kentucky.

Interested in hearing your guys' opinions on Davante Adams. Really intriguing prospect and will probably declare with Carr moving on. Could be a second round target. A couple things I like about him is his elite body control and great YAC ability, quick twitch athlete. He's also shown the ability to make contested catches. There are some concerns though. Really didn't face much competition at all and had a great QB throwing in the ball. I feel like he could be smaller than his listed measurements and I he can be lackadaisical on the field.

Blog Entries

Matthews is a distant relative to Jerry Rice. His huge religious devotion would probably mesh well with Harbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Matthews is a distant relative to Jerry Rice. His huge religious devotion would probably mesh well with Harbs.
    Didn't know that. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    As would Abracadabra's. Dude LOVES himself some Jesus.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver