Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

We need to take deep shots off PA more often

It seems that it's the deadly finish for our offense, I just wish that we used it more often. We can hit them deep with Torrey and Jacoby and it always puts us into at least FG range for Tucker everytime. Because of our ineptitude to run the ball or move the ball down the field consistently, it may be best to take the deep shots more often, while playing great defense, that should be the identity of this team imo. It will make teams drop back a little, and maybe give us more room to run the ball, and use the middle of the field when Pitta returns.

Re: We need to take deep shots off PA more often

I agree, in theory. Problem is, play action doesn't work as effectively when you can't run the ball.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I agree, in theory. Problem is, play action doesn't work as effectively when you can't run the ball.
    And since that is the case, I would think to do this, they'd have to do it early in the game. Meaning, the very first play of the game.

You'd think it would work any first down. We run it often enough normally

It also takes time to develop.

Time is not something our O line gives Joe very often.

Blog Entries

As has been mentioned, the play action deep pass is not very effective if the rush offense is struggling. At the very least, they'll have to start consistently getting three and four yard runs, while trying the play action early. However, it will likely take more than that. Much like the plays with Tyrod Taylor, they can work once standing on their own if everything is set up right, but it's difficult to continue to go back to that well.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

This is the whole problem with the offense summed up. When the defense completely shuts down the run, they take away so much. This team has to get the running game going so the other things work.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

^^^ What he said ^^^

Plus the o-line needs to block long enough to allow the receivers time to get down field. Hence, as we've been saying, everything revolves around the o-line being able to block.

This. We can now end this thread:)

I wonder about this. I know this is what conventional wisdom says but I'd like to find some numbers that prove or disprove it.

The NFL is so fast... I can't imagine linebackers have a whole lot of time to think about how aggressive they need to play the run once the ball is snapped. I would think that if it looks like a run and down & distance would indicate a run, they'd play the run. Against our offense they'd probably be licking their chops trying to get a TFL and would attack the line. I don't know that you need to be able to gash the defense for play action to work, I think you just need to stick with the run enough that they start to expect it in certain situations.

I think the bigger issue, as another poster mentioned, is that PA takes forever to develop and right now we just can't protect well enough.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

:word
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It also takes time to develop.

Time is not something our O line gives Joe very often.
    word
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

The Ravens CAN'T run because the offensive line spends too much time running sideways along the line of scrimmage in the vain hope that a hole will open up for Ray Rice to dart through. The problem is that Ray's "darting days" are over and no one on the team has the sense to admit it.

I am somewhat envious of the Patriot's ability to assess their talent and their ability and willingness to move on from players who are reaching their "use by" date. Ozzie needs to take a few more lessons from Bilacheck (sic)