Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Officiating has made this game virtually unwatchable...

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Count me in. I don't like the rules of the game. I like to see hard hits. I like football the way it was meant to be played. I think all rules should be turned back 50 years.
    The problem is the players are a lot bigger and faster than they were 50 years ago. Quarterbacks of today wouldn't make it through a half with the rules from 50 years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's not a very crowded boat - viewing is at an all time high and it's by far the most popular sport in the world
    Please. :grbac: Either you're joking or you think the world ends where the North American continental shelf falls off to deep water.

What most of the real world calls football is followed by billions. It's not even close.

For that matter, basketball may be more popular worldwide than the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Please. :grbac: Either you're joking or you think the world ends where the North American continental shelf falls off to deep water.

What most of the real world calls football is followed by billions. It's not even close.

For that matter, basketball may be more popular worldwide than the NFL.

100% correct. In fact even baseball is probably more popular worldwide factoring in the Caribbean, Central & South American and Asian countries.

iggyman555 Guest

when i was in jamaica everyone was a soccer fan they love man u there they dont even watch or know about the super bowl lol

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    The call on Dumerville was ticky-tack. But the rules are the rules. It doesn't make the game less enjoyable for me. It's still plenty violent enough.

What gets me is putting the review system in the coaches hands. Isn't the point of review to get the call right? So why does the coach have to take on that responsibility? Not to mention they've given a whole new meaning to home field advantage with home teams being able to see reviews on their screen. I don't like it because it's a technology advantage and not a natural crowd noise advantage. Let the coaches coach and put a replay official in the booth.
    I completely agree with you about this.... it is ridiculous. The most ridiculous part is that, if a coach gets a third challenge if the coach wins two challenges in a game... This is monumental stupid as it forces coaches to be by far more judicial with their challenges...

Regardless, I cannot for the life of me understand why NFL refuses to adopt NCAA's review style, especially with having an upstairs referee reviewing.

That no PI call tonight was pretty awful. Kuechly drove him back 5 yards to move him completely out of the way and didn't even attempt to look for the ball.

I could not find the post to directly respond... .nonetheless, I think NFL is attempting to take out the "intimidation" factor out of the game. They are doing it in the name of player safety.... In reality, I think it is more to do with marketing as NFL has been striving to appeal to broader audience, such as women.

Anyway, it reminded me of a quote from the "Little Giants" movie, "Football is 80% mental and 40% physical".

Without that intimidation, offensive players are free to do whatever they want without that particular "fear". It just isn't fun to watch football when offensive players aren't afraid of defensive players. I mean... Ray Lewis leveled Keller a few years ago. On the fourth down, you could see Keller was so fearful of Ray Lewis that he actually ran out bound short of first down; thus, killed his team's drive late in the 4th quarter. (shit, that hit will probably be flagged under today's rule).

Yea, football isn't as fun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I completely agree with you about this.... it is ridiculous. The most ridiculous part is that, if a coach gets a third challenge if the coach wins two challenges in a game... This is monumental stupid as it forces coaches to be by far more judicial with their challenges...

Regardless, I cannot for the life of me understand why NFL refuses to adopt NCAA's review style, especially with having an upstairs referee reviewing.
    This rule does sound like it came from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". You only get two times to tell us we are wrong before you get another. If we screwed up the first time, you do not get to keep the one for being right unless you catch us a second time. So we can be wrong once and you still may only get two chances to make us look like Replacement Refs if you are wrong the second time. Say what?
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

All Dumervil had to do was not push McCown, the ball had gone and he knew because if it hadn't he would have drilled the guy. The push was cheap and a stupid move. He should know better.

Ngata has had 2 BS Calls against him so far this season. However I watch Flacco get hit after the throw and wonder why the NFL is not making the same call across the board. The NFL should make ALL 15 Yard Calls a Booth Review and FINE the REFS for wrong calls. These are GAME Changing calls that can steal a game by allowing 1st downs when the team was really held to a 4th down.

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BSHU View Post
    That no PI call tonight was pretty awful. Kuechly drove him back 5 yards to move him completely out of the way and didn't even attempt to look for the ball.
    At the least, it should of been defensive holding called.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    ...The biggest issue with replay is that the head referee makes the final call which makes no sense when an independent ref. can give a more unbiased opinion. For all we know the refs may be judged for having a call overturned. I doubt it but you never know.
    Yep. And 98% of the time, an independent referee (i.e. not part of that on-field crew) upstairs could have made the correct call before the on-field ref has announced the stupid challenge to the crowd. Pet peeve / obsession of mine, and it will be until they fix it. :)