Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OT - Is Anyone Following What's Happening in Atlanta?

The Falcons are moving forward on a largely public funded new $1.2B stadium to open in 2017. It replaces the GA Dome, owned by the Georgia World Congress Center and built in 1992.

http://www.atlantadailyworld.com/201...to-1-2-billion

In a shocker yesterday, the Braves announced that they are leaving Turner Field in downtown Atlanta and relocating to Cobb County for another largely publicly funded stadium in 2017. (Think leaving M&T for Harford County). The reasons they cited were transportation issues, not having the control they wished over the development of the neighborhood, and moving closer to their fanbase in the northern suburbs. Turner Field was built in 1996 for the Olympics and the Braves began play there in 1997.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybro...rk-in-cobb-co/

Granted, Atlanta has a long history of just knocking things down in the name of progress (as well as a southern legacy of race and class coloring most public policy), but how do you think this affects the sports landscape - especially in Baltimore? Both facitlities are close contemporaries age wise to M&T and OPACY. One of the Braves major reasons for leaving was a heat map that showed ticket sales for their fanbase being largely concentrated in the suburbs and them wanting to move closer to them to "improve the fan experience". (I'd be interested in a similar heat map for the Ravens & Os and where the majority of ticket buyers/season ticket holders come from.) Down the block, Arthur Blank lobbied that a new facility is necessary to keep pace with his competitors and also lure big name events (read: Super Bowl, SEC Championship, CFA Bowl, MLS etc.) to the area. Do you think the Atlanta situation could be a tipping point for decreasing the life of stadiums to 20 years (of which both of Baltimores are in that range). How would you feel if Biscotti or Angelos asked for new buildings by 2020 or stayed in MD but moved out of Baltimore City? Something tells me Atlanta is the canary in the mineshaft of a new wave of pro stadiums...
    "The Ravens could employ a war criminal and they would treat him like a f**king prince just because the rest of the world disapproved."

Re: OT - Is Anyone Following What's Happening in Atlanta?

I heard about this yesterday. It's crazy how after less than 20 years they just decide to move out and get a new stadium. Taxpayers in Atlanta are quite generous. I guess the Braves making the playoffs 17 out of the last 23 years buys them a lot of political capital

Ooops, I thought this thread was about Matt Ryan's slump without his two elite wide receivers who catch his jumpballs.

I don't see any way the Orioles move out of Camden Yards. Its still one of the gems of the baseball world and its in such a historically important area of baseball history, with all the Babe Ruth connections.

M&T Bank most likely won't move, but you never know.

This is sheer lunacy. And while the system is often abused, I'm far from a reactionary type who opposes any and all funding for stadium in every single circumstance.

Neither of the Atlanta stadiums need to be replaced. If Turner Field were a person, it couldn't even vote. The Georgia Dome would just be able to legally purchase alcohol.

Both are modern, with plenty of luxury box and club seating, and fan amenities. Both have received upgrades over the years to keep up with the times.

Mind you, there are few stadiums in both sports that do actually need replacing. Notably Oakland (for both baseball and football) and San Diego (for football). One could make the argument for Tampa Bay for baseball as well, but that's mostly because of the ugly concrete dome exterior of the Trop and its poor location far from the center of the Tampa Bay metro area. From what I've heard though the stadium itself is serviceable and modern enough, albeit uninspiring.

People are talking about wanting to replace the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis and Fed Ex Field in Wash--err, Landover. But both of those stadiums are less than 20 years old as well. It just seems like a huge waste to me. I do know the LOLskins want to move back to DC proper, and the Rams have been rumored to head back to LA, so there's that.

And no, I don't foresee either the Ravens or Orioles either wanting or needing to replace their respective stadiums. Both are terrific places to watch games with a prime location and plenty of modern amenities.
    Last edited by Tommy_Carcetti; 11-12-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I heard about this yesterday. It's crazy how after less than 20 years they just decide to move out and get a new stadium. Taxpayers in Atlanta are quite generous. I guess the Braves making the playoffs 17 out of the last 23 years buys them a lot of political capital
    Really, despite their success, the Braves are middle of the pack in MLB attendance. I've gone to the Ted to see them play the Orioles everytime they're here in interleague play and it's a good facility (think a larger Camden Yards). The problem is the transient nature of Atlanta, team apathy of the success, traffic and suburban attitudes about the City of Atlanta and the neighborhoods. They kept the move quiet to appease political allies given the Falcons fiasco.
    "The Ravens could employ a war criminal and they would treat him like a f**king prince just because the rest of the world disapproved."

Quote Originally Posted by 404Blackbird View Post
    Really, despite their success, the Braves are middle of the pack in MLB attendance. I've gone to the Ted to see them play the Orioles everytime they're here in interleague play and it's a good facility (think a larger Camden Yards). The problem is the transient nature of Atlanta, team apathy of the success, traffic and suburban attitudes about the City of Atlanta and the neighborhoods. They kept the move quiet to appease political allies given the Falcons fiasco.
    Ironically, the location the Braves want to move to is just as bad a traffic nightmare as the area around Turner Field. So I don't see how they'd be gaining anything in that respect.

Blog Entries

Just because taxpayers in one area are willing to fund endless projects doesn't mean they will in other areas. Look at the issues the Vikings had and they were in a stadium where the roof collapsed. The Raiders play in an ancient dump of a stadium and can't get one of these sweet public deals. The taxpayers in Atlanta are not the norm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Just because taxpayers in one area are willing to fund endless projects doesn't mean they will in other areas. Look at the issues the Vikings had and they were in a stadium where the roof collapsed. The Raiders play in an ancient dump of a stadium and can't get one of these sweet public deals. The taxpayers in Atlanta are not the norm.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I am in Atl a lot including now. Up 400 from Buckhead to Alpharetta area is where all the big money is now. It's become a small Silicon Valley or N Va area.

These are the fans and most don't want to go into the gridlock to get downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I am in Atl a lot including now. Up 400 from Buckhead to Alpharetta area is where all the big money is now. It's become a small Silicon Valley or N Va area.

These are the fans and most don't want to go into the gridlock to get downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.

My wife turned down a job with the CDC down there a few years ago. We visited Atlanta, but didn't particularly care for it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Interesting.

My wife turned down a job with the CDC down there a few years ago. We visited Atlanta, but didn't particularly care for it.
    No one does. Currently fans go to the game on MARTA or driving and then they immediately leave and go home. There is no revenue form hotels, restaurants and the like. Their plan on the new stadium is to make it a destination where people will stay and spend money

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!