Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any thoughts on Rice blocking skills?

I guess the opposition is assigning someone to Rice because he is blanketed every play. His blocking had also IMO been suspect.
    Anyone want to weigh in on this one?

Re: Any thoughts on Rice blocking skills?

I think Rice is still playing hurt, and the idea that he's "100% physically" is a big old falsehood.

He goes to the ground SO easily now when carrying the ball. Plays where a Rice of basically ANY past season would have run through an outstretched arm tackle, now pretty much ANY kind of contact ends with him down. I hate to say this because it sort of implies a lack of effort or passion, but it almost looks like he's looking for the ground pretty fast now. Maybe it's to protect whatever hip or other issues he's battling, but he has no explosiveness. When blocking he's often slow to get in position and tries to cut a lot more now. I don't think any of it is a lack of passion or desire... I just suspect the guy is trying to get by as much as he can and still help... but I don't know if it's really any good for the offense.

Ray has absolutely no lateral movement. He's not making anyone miss, and he can't pick up the blitz. He's got to be playing hurt.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

I pretty much agree with R-2006's post. I recall many times when Rice, as "small" as he was/is, would move the pile, and just marvel at how a guy his size could do that. Don't think I've seen it yet from him this season.

But as far as blocking, yeah, he could sharpen that skill set a bit and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. However, is it possible that the offensive scheme calls for him to almost always have dual responsibility on his plays, where he's expected to "full" block, or even chip block, AND also get into a receiver area? That's fine for now and again, but if he has to do that "every" play, I'd think it would hinder his overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Ray has absolutely no lateral movement. He's not making anyone miss, and he can't pick up the blitz. He's got to be playing hurt.
    The play in OT nailed it for me. Flacco got him the ball in a lot of space with one guy to beat for a big play, and it wasn't even close to a win for Rice.

As to the blocking; I agree, he can't seem to move laterally quickly enough to pick up the blitz.

Rice in the past has been a decent blocker but he along with the OL are really getting exposed. He's never been asked to stay behind and block as often as he's been doing this season for good reason.

Blog Entries

Turrible.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

He is way to slow laterally and then overpowered when on point st times. Right now when Rice is on the feild it's close to 10 vs 11.

If he is hurt, he should not be playing. He is not helping at this point. And man, I hop he is hurt because the thought of never seeing Ray do his thing again is very very sad to me. Also if this is the "new Ray" going forward it really cripples us because cutting him doesn't really save us much in cap space ( from what I understand). I don't pretend to understand the cap at all.

Blog Entries

This is going to be one of those offseasons where the player reveals that he played hurt all season and we're all going say 'duh'

Blog Entries
    If we cut Rice after June 1st, what cap implications would that bring? I know the contract would accelerate if we cut him during FA.

Blog Entries

Rice needs to get healthy and lose five to ten. If he gets hurt next season, so be it, because putting on the weight didn't help him stay the least bit healthy.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore