Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Funny Fatso interview

Maybe not Ravens-related, but as a Ravens fan, I consider myself to be currently supporting the Baltimore team that is natural evolution of the old BALTIMORE Colts, not the franchise located in Indy.

That being said, I got this link in email earlier today, and laughed a lot. I've seen and heard various sit-downs with Artie, but this one with Carson was one I don't recall from before.

Just a chuckle for those still suffering from the weekend's doldrums...

Blog Entries

Re: Funny Fatso interview

Heard before, but is always great to hear again (been a long enough while I had forgotten most of it)

I'm with you on the evolution, Johnny U led the way for us again to the Ravens from the Baltimore Colts

Raven that reminds me the most of Fatso is Goose anyone else come close?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Rx--
    Yeah, Goose has a bit of Artie in him. Years ago and post Super Bowl win (maybe a year or so after he retired, so early 2000's), I had the opportunity to bid at a charity event for a dinner with Goose. Met him at my favorite French restaurant in E.C., and had a blast. He had funny stories, was really cordial to the entire staff, signed anything and everything, stood for lots of pix with all of us, and was pretty up front about who was "good" and who wasn't (from the team) (one example, Boller wasn't his favorite QB! ;))

Quick funny story - he and I are standing off to the side a bit and shooting the shit, and he asks me if I know how to deal with NYG fans. I kinda smiled and said, "Why, NO, Ant-knee. How DO I deal with NYG fans?"

He gives me his SB ring (I think I coulda worn it on my wrist!) and says something to the tune of, "Hold your RIGHT hand up, palm facing away from you. Now put all your fingers down except the middle one, and place the ring on your middle finger facing you. Finally, turn your hand around so they can see the ring of the team that won the Super Bowl." ;)

Made me laugh!

I will say, however, that Goose's allegiance to Baltimore is based pretty much on the time when he played here. Artie, although not a native Merliner, had the city and community in his heart.

Artie - gone but not forgotten!

mmi16-
    Agree!

I gotta wonder what the BALTIMORE Colts woulda done in the current Ravens situation? I suspect they'd get a few of the "tenured" guys and tell the rest of the team we're going out for a few adult beverages and have a meeting of the minds about what needs to be done.

My fear is that the current breed of players don't think in those terms...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    ... I gotta wonder what the BALTIMORE Colts woulda done in the current Ravens situation? I suspect they'd get a few of the "tenured" guys and tell the rest of the team we're going out for a few adult beverages and have a meeting of the minds about what needs to be done.
    LOL...are you kidding? In this era, well Beau let me tell you a story. When my daughter was on a softball team, there was another girl who couldn't hit the ball if it was on a tee. This girl struck out, missing three in a row by a foot, and the (female ... I'm not meaning to offend) coach said, "Good swings!." We're in a time where the...I'd better not say because it might shock the sensitivity of some... Bc
    P.S. - this is why us older guys harken back to days of yore.

Blog Entries

mmi16-
    Agree!

I gotta wonder what the BALTIMORE Colts woulda done in the current Ravens situation? I suspect they'd get a few of the "tenured" guys and tell the rest of the team we're going out for a few adult beverages and have a meeting of the minds about what needs to be done.

I remember that interview. Letterman had some good ones too. He said did you read the book Arty? He said hell no. I know what all the stories are. He said I went to college to play football, not get an education.

Yea, Goose comes close to Arty for loveability and stories. He used to tease Heap about all the wives he had as a Mormon. Heap said that was the old days, not now.

Goose said one day I walked into the Men's room and Heap was peeing. I saw me coming and zipped up fast and got the hell out. I know he still had some juice up there.

Also, the Hard Knocks episode was great when Goose locked the offense in their trailer and cut off the air in blistering heat but Shannan Sharpe got even. He stole Goose's SUV and took it on a joy ride to Burger King. He made Goose beg for the keys when he got back.

Goose was pissed as hell. He could dish it but couldn't take it.

Shannan Sharpe also comes close to being loved like Arty. He was the Frank Robinson of the O's who put Ravens over the top when he beat the Jags for the first time with the TD at the end of the game. It was right in front of me.

Arty also said the Colts vets made the rookies sit in front of the plane in case it crashed. The rooks would die first. Seriously.

Arty used to sit in the last seat in the bus because he took up so much space and couldn't fit in the front seats. Ray Berry said the funniest story he heard was when Arty was fighting on Guam and was shot in the butt.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-06-2013 at 12:34 AM.

I met Artie a few years ago. He was still funny as shit, and had several Schlitz lined up in front of him.

Blog Entries

As for the Ravens, I don't think the Colts ever gave up like these guys except SB 3 of course and the 62 season that got Weeb fired.

They won the World Championship twice in a row in 58 and 59 no easy feat then as now. They started out great in 60 and would have won it all but got a lot of injuries like these Ravens. They beat Chicago but Bears beat them up. Colts only had to win 1 of 4 games to go to POs and championship but couldn't do it.

That Lions game killed em. Unitas brought them back with a min left and threw a TD to win it. Hundreds of fans stormed the field and started tearing down the goal posts. There were still enough time for the kickoff and one play.

Earl Morrall threw a short pass and the guy ran all the way down the field for a TD with a second left and with fans still on the goal posts tearing them down. It was total confusion at the end of the game but the fans lost that one for their team.
    I was one of them with my dad and uncles.

Fans walked down 33rd street with parts of the goal posts-lol.

Can you see that today?

That's why they called it the largest Outdoor Insane Assylum in the world-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-06-2013 at 12:35 AM.

mmi16-
    Agree!

MLB Mike Curtis would have threatened all of them - including Suggs - the way he did in 1970 (led to a winning streak culminating in Super Bowl V victory - according to Colts teammate, C Bill Curry).

Blog Entries

Hell - Mike threatened the fans and flattened one when he ran on the field and picked up the ball. He said the fan shouldn't have been on the field. When you break the law you pay. I make them pay. They didn't call him Mad Dog for nutten.

After Irsay came in Mike said I tried to get traded for two years. LOL.

Another favorite quote.

"Bubba Smith and his date came over to dinner recently. He ate everything-the meal, the table, the chairs, the plates, everything. I hardly had a bite or two of anything because of Bubba..." Keep Off My Turf 1971
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-07-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Maybe not Ravens-related, but as a Ravens fan, I consider myself to be currently supporting the Baltimore team that is natural evolution of the old BALTIMORE Colts, not the franchise located in Indy...

Just a chuckle for those still suffering from the weekend's doldrums...
    Good thread Beau!
    Speaking of the "natural evolution" of Baltimore football, the Colt Corrals (now Ravens Roosts) celebrated the Council's 50th anniversary last week. Artie was remembered and we had quite a few laughs. I was going to post about it here, but observing this forums "doldrums" ;) i thought it best to put my report on the Colts heritage forum lol!

Thanks for brightening our day with that Fatso clip buddy!
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!