Blog Entries

Omar Brown and Matt Elam

How do we feel that combination would do on the field? Brown playing deep and Elam playing closer to the line of scrimmage. It's pretty clear to me that Elam is more of a SS, who happens to be able to play FS decent enough, which is what I saw on tape from his time at Florida. He looks much more comfortable near the line. Even in nickel packages where he's asked to cover one on one.

How do we feel Brown would do back there? Would his play be on par with what we are currently seeing from Elam? Would he be more natural for the position than Elam (I think so). Would he make too many mistakes, due to his inexperience?

Speak!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Omar Brown and Matt Elam

Brown has so little playing time that it's impossible to even guess. Honestly I don't like the idea of 2 guys with so little experience as the starting safeties.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Brown has so little playing time that it's impossible to even guess. Honestly I don't like the idea of 2 guys with so little experience as the starting safeties.
    I can't say I blame you.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

We've all enjoyed watching the Omar Brown Preseason Show the past two years, and I hope the guy does work his way up, but GOTA has a valid point. I'm assuming the team will stick with Dig and Elam at safety for the present. It would be nice to see Brown do some spot play, but barring injury I'd be surprised if the Ravens put him in for any significant number of snaps any time soon. I think the coaches put value on Dig's experience.

Blog Entries

Omar is a good player, but IMO he is not a center-fielder.

He is similar to Elam...just not as muscular or fast.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How do we feel that combination would do on the field? Brown playing deep and Elam playing closer to the line of scrimmage. It's pretty clear to me that Elam is more of a SS, who happens to be able to play FS decent enough, which is what I saw on tape from his time at Florida. He looks much more comfortable near the line. Even in nickel packages where he's asked to cover one on one.

How do we feel Brown would do back there? Would his play be on par with what we are currently seeing from Elam? Would he be more natural for the position than Elam (I think so). Would he make too many mistakes, due to his inexperience?

Speak!
    It's a shame Huff has been such a bust. Elam is a natural SS. He has been playing FS very well though, and Inhedigbo is holding his own.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

I don't think our safeties are a problem. Elam isn't Kenny Vaccaro, but he's been very solid for a rookie and I think he'll only improve with more playing time. That said, I would love to see Omar brought in on big nickel packages just to see what he's capable of.

Blog Entries

Well, apparently, we might get our chance to see this duo Sunday. With 'Dig' hurting his foot, he is listed as questionable and, even though the team seems confident that he'll be able to go, there is no guarantee that he will play. If he doesn't, the team will move Matt Elam to SS (Where he belongs), while moving Omar Brown to the starting FS spot (Where he should have been).

Matt Elam is going to be much less tentative at SS. His natural instincts will kick in and we will see even more of the guy that Ozzie drafted. Even though he played a lot of FS at Florida, his style of play and heightened instincts near the LOS dictate that his best position is SS. I even think the team recognized as much, but moved him to FS out of necessity. Now, Omar Brown can make sure nothing gets behind him, and Elam can make noise near the line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, apparently, we might get our chance to see this duo Sunday. With 'Dig' hurting his foot, he is listed as questionable and, even though the team seems confident that he'll be able to go, there is no guarantee that he will play. If he doesn't, the team will move Matt Elam to SS (Where he belongs), while moving Omar Brown to the starting FS spot (Where he should have been).

Matt Elam is going to be much less tentative at SS. His natural instincts will kick in and we will see even more of the guy that Ozzie drafted. Even though he played a lot of FS at Florida, his style of play and heightened instincts near the LOS dictate that his best position is SS. I even think the team recognized as much, but moved him to FS out of necessity. Now, Omar Brown can make sure nothing gets behind him, and Elam can make noise near the line.
    If this does indeed happen I'll be excited to see him roaming over the field. I'd expect brown to have some troubles but this will be a good sample of tape of him moving forward. Dig will most likely play but I think brown will still see significant time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I don't think our safeties are a problem. Elam isn't Kenny Vaccaro, but he's been very solid for a rookie and I think he'll only improve with more playing time. That said, I would love to see Omar brought in on big nickel packages just to see what he's capable of.
    Vaccorro hasn't been very good this year so far, and he was actually my favourite prospect in last seasons draft. Eric Reid has probable been the most impressive so far which is kind of surprising. Elam has looked like the 2nd best in the draft class of safeties from last season but that's playing FS, I think at SS he would have looked a lot better.