Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Is Rice the next Shaun Alexander?

I almost don't want to type it because I know what it means, both in terms of his career and the flaming I'll get ....

But it's starting to feel like we have a Shaun Alexander on our hands with Rice. Monster season(s), followed by a big contract, followed by hitting the wall with injuries, no burst, etc.

I certainly hope I am wrong. Praying I am wrong in fact.

Re: Ravens hosting RB Beanie Wells

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I almost don't want to type it because I know what it means, both in terms of his career and the flaming I'll get ....

But it's starting to feel like we have a Shaun Alexander on our hands with Rice. Monster season(s), followed by a big contract, followed by hitting the wall with injuries, no burst, etc.

Buddy of mine brought this same exact thing to my attention the other day.
    As unfortunate as it would be but its seems to be that way. RB's hit that "wall" quickly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

which is why some of us said it wasnt worth signing a RB to a long term contract to begin with and got flamed for that. Ill continue to say its not wise to invest highly at RB even if Rice bounces back this year. That money could be much better used on the OL right about now, which theoretically would make our QB, RB, and WRs better.
    -JAB

exactly why I wanted to franchise tag him twice. And then he would be gone by this stage. I and two others on the br.com site got absolutely flamed for it, now almost every one has done a full 360 and said in hindsight that's what they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    which is why some of us said it wasnt worth signing a RB to a long term contract to begin with and got flamed for that. Ill continue to say its not wise to invest highly at RB even if Rice bounces back this year. That money could be much better used on the OL right about now, which theoretically would make our QB, RB, and WRs better.
    this, I was all for tagging him twice and handing the offense to flacco this year.

Blog Entries

Honestly I thought this when they gave Rice that contract. I'm not a negative person. There is just a very real trend of top RB's flaming out quickly especially after getting big deals.

If nothing else, Shaun Alexander shows just how fast a RB can go from All-Pro to totally done. It was literally over the span of one offseason between 05 and 06. The running back position can be subject to an incredibly abrupt decline.

Definitely agree with you that I'm hoping it's not the case. Not sure why you're afraid of being flamed, though. Ray Rice's low level of play is a very legitimate point of concern for this team right now. Even if the OL were playing at a high level we wouldn't be a dominant rushing team, IMO.

Blog Entries

HOW DARE YOU!

...in all seriousness, I don't think you're wrong (unfortunately).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

There was definitely a handful of us who all felt that Rice getting a major deal was not a great idea.

Look at Chris Johnson.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Baltimore has a way of ruining the better players on the Ravens team. After the 1st SB, just about every player had a commercial, gig at some restaurant or club. Those guys were heroes and spent an unusual amount of time making money off the field. Again this year, the main heroes are doing commercials and other things to make extra money. Rice has his M & T commercials and other gigs, so he isn't 100 % devoted to conditionibg and the team. Yea, the Oline has been atrocious and the coaching just as bad, ( Harbaugh, Pees, and OC coaches are to blame too). Sad to see Rice not producing but he is set for life with his contract( unless he mismanages it).

Shaun Alexander didn't have the work ethic of Rice. Rice is playing hurt; he was limping on Sunday. Let him get healthy and see what happens before people use 20/20 hindsight and say we shouldn't have given him that big contract, which he earned.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Baltimore has a way of ruining the better players on the Ravens team. After the 1st SB, just about every player had a commercial, gig at some restaurant or club. Those guys were heroes and spent an unusual amount of time making money off the field. Again this year, the main heroes are doing commercials and other things to make extra money. Rice has his M & T commercials and other gigs, so he isn't 100 % devoted to conditionibg and the team. Yea, the Oline has been atrocious and the coaching just as bad, ( Harbaugh, Pees, and OC coaches are to blame too). Sad to see Rice not producing but he is set for life with his contract( unless he mismanages it).
    Rice was doing those commercials last year. So were Flacco and Haloti.