Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Onside Kick

The Onside Kick

Since its going to be talked to death in the next two weeks, I thought I'd repost this link from the game thread for people to read before they start the indignant "Fire Harbage" shit again.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009...kicks.html?m=1

Seriously, read up on it. The call was a good one, it was simply executed poorly.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: The Onside Kick

The last 2 weeks there have been some very questionable coaching decisions, and no I don't hate Harbs, but he doesn't get a pass.

This is all true, but people are too shortsighted to look beyond the initial result.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    The last 2 weeks there have been some very questionable coaching decisions, and no I don't hate Harbs, but he doesn't get a pass.
    Did you even read the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Since its going to be talked to death in the next two weeks, I thought I'd repost this link from the game thread for people to read before they start the indignant "Fire Harbage" shit again.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009...kicks.html?m=1

Seriously, read up on it. The call was a good one, it was simply executed poorly.
    I agree with you but people are going to think what they think, stats be damned.

Hell a lot of people on the board still would rather have Rex as coach, (even though the Super Bowl score for those keeping track is Harbs 1, Rex 0).

He's literally lost two games with his decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    He's literally lost two games with his decisions...
    So I take it you did not in fact read the link.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

I don't even care about the exact probabilities (though I was aware that the success rate is higher than most think).

I care about the fact our defense was letting up multiple-first down, multi-minute drives every time, even if they eventually buckled down and held them to 3.

Perfectly fine with that call by Harbaugh, and I would be even if the league-wide success rate was a bit lower.

Heck the 4th and 1 call was great as well. It effectively gave our offense a whole extra "drive" to get 4 more points, and they couldn't do it.

Our defense did not stop them. The 31st rank running attack diced us. Our $15M man couldn't stop any 3rd and 2 running up the gut against a 2nd string center

Another good read for some folks on this board is to google something called "results oriented thinking." It's a common sports fallacy. The most easily debunked example of which is the old "Team X is 21-2 when Player Y runs at 25 times and 7-14 when he doesn't."

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Did you even read the OP?
    Yes, is there something wrong with my opinion? I'm not advocating firing him, check my posts now and previous.

Problem with the rate of success stats is that it doesn't take into account the situation within the game.

We had plenty of time on the clock and only down by four.

Yes it was executed poorly. But it was also ill timed.

This is like the theory that you should always go for it on fourth and short that creeps up from time to time. Neither take into account the context of the game situation.