Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Play Calling Duties

Odds are that there is little chance they would get rid of Jim Caldwell in the middle of the season. I mean, it took them almost 5 years to get rid of Cam Cameron.

However, it really seems like Caldwell just doesn't have a very good feel for the game and how to effectively call plays. I think Caldwell seems like he knows how to work with a quarterback, but as an offensive coordinator his game plans are really lacking.

A good coordinator can game plan effectively to mask deficiencies. Caldwell just doesn't seem to be able to effectively do that right now.

Perhaps a better strategy would be to reassign play calling duties to someone else?

Jim Hostler, WRs, he has experience as an offensive coordinator in San Francisco, but that offense was REALLY bad.

Wilbert Montgomery, RBs, he has been a part of some pretty fantastic offenses, namely the Rams under Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz. That offense as we all know was "The Greatest Show on Turf".
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

iggyman555 Guest

Re: Play Calling Duties

dootie

We are 3-3... no one is getting fired. Only 6 games ago Caldwell was the savior and the genius. Bottom line is this O-line sucks. Is it the new scheme? New O-line coach? I don't know. Who's decision was it to go to the Zone Blocking stuff? Caldwell doesn't let the D-line 3 ft into the backfield 1 sec after the snap of the ball. Caldwell doesn't play center.

Blog Entries

With the running game such a disaster you would almost need a pure west coast system to get things working. I'm not saying Caldwell has been good but I don't see anyone trying to run this type of offense being able to succeed if they can't run the ball.

Simply hoping they start calling some tosses and swing passes. We have two of the more athletic Tackles in the game with Monroe and Oher.

Given the struggles of the interior oline, lets get rice and pierce wide, and let them work in space a little more.

The commentators made a point yesterday that Caldwell hasn't had a full season as an OC. My hope is that he learns and learns quick how to better develop and adjust game plans. At least we've seen the offense somewhat consistently become slightly better in the second half.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    With the running game such a disaster you would almost need a pure west coast system to get things working. I'm not saying Caldwell has been good but I don't see anyone trying to run this type of offense being able to succeed if they can't run the ball.
    I agree.

The past few weeks all I could think about was the Bill Wash system. Short, quick passing patterns to make up for the run not being there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Simply hoping they start calling some tosses and swing passes. We have two of the more athletic Tackles in the game with Monroe and Oher.

Given the struggles of the interior oline, lets get rice and pierce wide, and let them work in space a little more.
    This is why Pierce bounces it outside most of the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    We are 3-3... no one is getting fired. Only 6 games ago Caldwell was the savior and the genius. Bottom line is this O-line sucks. Is it the new scheme? New O-line coach? I don't know. Who's decision was it to go to the Zone Blocking stuff? Caldwell doesn't let the D-line 3 ft into the backfield 1 sec after the snap of the ball. Caldwell doesn't play center.
    Clearly the execution is piss poor. No doubt about that.

However, when the Ravens are in the 10 yard line heading into score and they are lined up in shot gun with Rice in the slot and they call 3 straight passing plays...that to me says there is no feel for the game.

I'm ok with a pass play on first down to try and get the defense to back off a bit, but IMO that was a golden opportunity to run a draw to Rice or Pierce.

There just isn't a feel for the game in the play calling.

Why they haven't switched from a ZBS ill never understand. 1) GG isn't ready to be a starter, at least Shipley showed he could hold his own blocking. 2) the Guards are suffering from not having a veteran making the line calls. 3) this team desperately needs a TE. Clark looked 5 years younger so hopefully he's coming around. 4) either rice had no confidence in his line or has lost a step. Could he possibly be having issues like not following leach a couple years ago? 5) Monroe looked great yesterday outside of one play. Huge upgrade over McKinnie even though McKinnie wasn't the issue on the line as we know now. 6) Doss has been impressive plain and simple we're going to struggle until the run game picks up. Defenses will continue to stack the box and play man. With no reliable TE it could be a long year

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    Why they haven't switched from a ZBS ill never understand. 1) GG isn't ready to be a starter, at least Shipley showed he could hold his own blocking. 2) the Guards are suffering from not having a veteran making the line calls. 3) this team desperately needs a TE. Clark looked 5 years younger so hopefully he's coming around. 4) either rice had no confidence in his line or has lost a step. Could he possibly be having issues like not following leach a couple years ago? 5) Monroe looked great yesterday outside of one play. Huge upgrade over McKinnie even though McKinnie wasn't the issue on the line as we know now. 6) Doss has been impressive plain and simple we're going to struggle until the run game picks up. Defenses will continue to stack the box and play man. With no reliable TE it could be a long year
    Leach just seemed to be getting pwned out there yesterday.

The guy behind center is actually in the midst of the game, and there is a chance he has more football IQ than anyone on the coaching staff. Why not let him call the plays?