Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: the NFL in London

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Speaking as someone who visits the U.K. at least once a year and most of my co-workers are in Edinburgh, the interest in American football is just that. A fanciful distraction. They love the accuracy in which the QB throws the ball (lucky they missed Tebow) but it is just that, the spectacle. They also think there are WAY too many penalties and the game stops too much. Rugby and 'soccer', hell even cricket mean more to them.

The NFL is a novelty in London. Sort of what it will be when it moves back to L.A.
    And cricket will always remain ingrained as our summer sport.. Its like baseball is to you guys as a nation. Football (sorry guys I can't stand the name soccer) and cricket along with rugby our our national sports.. Its the fourth sport that NFL can realistically vie for but it will never take over those three I am afraid.. However,the yk is a sports mad country and NFL is growing.. I work in an office of around 20 people and 3 discuss NFL.. So there is a percentage that are genuinely interested.. A UK team would bring more interest especially if it was anywhere near successful..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You obviously haven't met any of the NFL fans over here as this is a ridiculous generalisation. Whilst no, it will never overtake the more established sports to the extent of sustaining a franchise, it's not merely a 'fanciful distraction' as you so disrespectfully put it and there is a dedicated support for the game and it is growing.
    There was nothing disrespectful about what I said. You may not like it, but I am repeating what I have been told numerous times while over there.

I am sure there are RABID NFL fans there, but I don't think enough to warrant an NFL team.

Ease up on the caffeine dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You obviously haven't met any of the NFL fans over here as this is a ridiculous generalisation. Whilst no, it will never overtake the more established sports to the extent of sustaining a franchise, it's not merely a 'fanciful distraction' as you so disrespectfully put it and there is a dedicated support for the game and it is growing.
    I've read CS's post a couple of times and I can't say I'm seeing the disrespect you're seeing.

I don't think he meant it to be a slam. Rather, he's putting it in context with the other, more popular sports in the UK.

Hockey, for a lot of people in the US, is that same fanciful distraction that gets folks by until baseball or football start up for the season. Right now, the NFL is that same niche sport in the UK.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 09-27-2013 at 08:16 PM.

laugh:
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Is that because the Vikings overan England in the 10th century or because the NFL knows the Yinzers can't speak English?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toddyvegas View Post
    And cricket will always remain ingrained as our summer sport.. Its like baseball is to you guys as a nation. Football (sorry guys I can't stand the name soccer) and cricket along with rugby our our national sports.. Its the fourth sport that NFL can realistically vie for but it will never take over those three I am afraid.. However,the yk is a sports mad country and NFL is growing.. I work in an office of around 20 people and 3 discuss NFL.. So there is a percentage that are genuinely interested.. A UK team would bring more interest especially if it was anywhere near successful..
    With that travel and time change they would have a very difficult time being successful. They have to play home and away in 4 game blocks to have any chance at all. Players wouldn't be happy with all that travel which would make recruiting free agents pretty difficult as well. Would the fans support a Browns or Jaguars type franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Steelers would never consent to being the home team. The Patriots have played in the game several times and always as the visiting team. Well run franchises don't give away home games.
    The ideas of a European team is as bad as an NFL team in Canada or Mexico. This whole concept stinks. Just another way to make the pie bigger so that the fat cats can pig out at the trough. It does nothing for the game.

With that travel and time change they would have a very difficult time being successful. They have to play home and away in 4 game blocks to have any chance at all. Players wouldn't be happy with all that travel which would make recruiting free agents pretty difficult as well. Would the fans support a Browns or Jaguars type franchise?
    That's the interesting question, because although British fans are renowned for their loyalty and"through thick and through thin" attitude towards attendance, NFL is not a national sport for us.. There would need to be some success I would imagine for the team to cement themselves. And I agree, they would need to play away matches in bunches to save travelling fatigue.. What could be done to help attendences though, would be to rotate the home matches between England, Scotland and Wales.. 3 big national stadiums plus you could add old Trafford for northern England. Scotland's murryfield stadium is the smallest of those four at a capacity of around 67k I believe. But its a very good point about the viability of a struggling franchise year on year.
    Last edited by Toddyvegas; 09-28-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Am here on London on business. Bunch of steelers fan in the Hilton park lane. So I on on my ravens jersey (just happened to have it in the luggage) and gave then grief. They are pretty miserable about their team this year but talking bravely. Vikings will win if only because they won't be jet lagged as they arrived Wednesday and the steelers came Friday (bad move)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toddyvegas View Post
    That's the interesting question, because although British fans are renowned for their loyalty and"through thick and through thin" attitude towards attendance, NFL is not a national sport for us.. There would need to be some success I would imagine for the team to cement themselves. And I agree, they would need to play away matches in bunches to save travelling fatigue.. What could be done to help attendences though, would be to rotate the home matches between England, Scotland and Wales.. 3 big national stadiums plus you could add old Trafford for northern England. Scotland's murryfield stadium is the smallest of those four at a capacity of around 67k I believe. But its a very good point about the viability of a struggling franchise year on year.
    Rotating home venues makes it even tougher to win. The Packers used to have to play some home games in Green Bay and some home games in Milwaukee. They had almost 20 years with just 1 winning season. Finally they were able to play all their home games in Green Bay which helped a lot. Home field means a lot in the NFL. I can't see a team having any sort of home field advantage if they don't have 1 home. They're almost better off establishing 2 teams if they need that kind of exposure.

Blog Entries

Question Re: the NFL in London

Maybe the league would have to give a London franchise ("The Beefeaters") a $alary cap advantage over the rest of the NFL teams (?) Perhaps a 25% higher salary plus a free pint of Bitter a day ... Bc

Blog Entries

I think a single game, rotated amongst every team, would be the viable way to go. I don't get the angst from fans if the Ravens actually lost a home game to play in London?!? Its one game and I'm sure the NFL compensates whichever "home" team loses their game. If it ends up being an away game, all the better.

Would season ticket holders be opposed to getting a credit of some sort from the Ravens/NFL were they to lose a home game at M&T?

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I think a single game, rotated amongst every team, would be the viable way to go. I don't get the angst from fans if the Ravens actually lost a home game to play in London?!? Its one game and I'm sure the NFL compensates whichever "home" team loses their game. If it ends up being an away game, all the better.

Would season ticket holders be opposed to getting a credit of some sort from the Ravens/NFL were they to lose a home game at M&T?
    The Ravens enjoy an incredible HFA that arguably only bettered by Seattle. If the Ravens were to miss out on the playoffs because they lost a 'home' game played at a neutral site it would not be taken well.

OTOH I wouldn't mind the London game being an away game at all.

Of not I have friends in Minny that are pissed because they wanted to see the Steelers and the opportunity only comes around once every 8 years.