Blog Entries

Surprising Stat - Ravens Receivers 9th in the NFL in YAC Yards

Re: Surprising Stat - Ravens Receivers 9th in the NFL in YAC Yards

Not terribly surprised by this. The Ravens rank 9th in YAC, but they also rank 12th in completions, so those numbers are right about what you'd expect. Now, if they were 10th in receptions but 1st in YAC--like Detroit--that would be more noteworthy as it shows that the receivers really are generating a lot more YAC than you would expect.

It passes the eye test, too. The Ravens are throwing at a MUCH lower average depth of target than they did last year or any year under Cam. They're also throwing more over the middle. Those factors will generally combine to produce more YAC opportunities.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that. I'm not sure it's the best use of our personnel... Stokley and Clark are way too old to be really dangerous after the catch, while Flacco isn't super accurate throwing short and intermediate routes. I think once we get healthy at receiver we'll see them return to a more vertical offense.

Yeah YAC itself doesn't tell you as much as YAC per catch would.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    It passes the eye test, too. The Ravens are throwing at a MUCH lower average depth of target than they did last year or any year under Cam. They're also throwing more over the middle ....................Flacco isn't super accurate throwing short and intermediate routes. I think once we get healthy at receiver we'll see them return to a more vertical offense.
    On the other hand, the short crossers (an alien concept when Cam was here) seem to be quite effective lately, just as they are for many other teams. I for one hope the Ravens don't get away from the short/intermediate stuff too much. A vertical game is great, but you have to mix it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Not terribly surprised by this. The Ravens rank 9th in YAC, but they also rank 12th in completions, so those numbers are right about what you'd expect. Now, if they were 10th in receptions but 1st in YAC--like Detroit--that would be more noteworthy as it shows that the receivers really are generating a lot more YAC than you would expect.

It passes the eye test, too. The Ravens are throwing at a MUCH lower average depth of target than they did last year or any year under Cam. They're also throwing more over the middle. Those factors will generally combine to produce more YAC opportunities.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that. I'm not sure it's the best use of our personnel... Stokley and Clark are way too old to be really dangerous after the catch, while Flacco isn't super accurate throwing short and intermediate routes. I think once we get healthy at receiver we'll see them return to a more vertical offense.
    The one thing I'll say about that is that Torrey Smith seems to be a really effective YAC type player, as well as being a great verticle receiver. So even if that does happen, I hope we still stick with the crossing routes with Torrey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The one thing I'll say about that is that Torrey Smith seems to be a really effective YAC type player, as well as being a great verticle receiver. So even if that does happen, I hope we still stick with the crossing routes with Torrey.
    I agree. I always wanted to see Torrey get those short catches where he could run when cam was here. He rarely had Torrey run those routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

He seems to really be becoming a complete receiver this season. He can, obviously run deep corner and post routes, he has been running the deep out route since the end of his rookie season. The back shoulder was a staple most of last season, and now he is running a lot of crossing stuff that you normally see in the slot. Dude is effective everywhere. That shows you how hard of a worker he is.

A big part of this is scheme as well. Remember back when Mason was here when all we ran were comebacks and out routes? *Sigh* my have times changed for the better.