Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Trip

Re: Buffalo Trip

I have been to a lot of away games. Went to BUF in 2007. Had a great weekend (aside from the game) and there were a ton of Ravens fans. I will preface what I am saying with I met a ton of awesome, super nice Bills fans prior to the game.

We had a group of about 40 total sitting in 3 different sections - mostly family and friends that were 30+ years old and clearly not looking for trouble. Had D cell batteries thrown at us when we pulled into the parking lot, AAA batteries (LOL) thrown at us during the game (the security guy standing 4 feet to my left looked at me and shrugged) and saw a woman Ravens fan I didn't know get sucker punched in the face by another woman walking into the concourse from her seats. A friend of mine who sat in a different section next to a Bills fan the whole game without exchanging one word turned to leave after the game and he got punched in the face. I wont mention the scene in the parking lot after the game that looked like it was bombed during WW2 and never cleaned up. It has been a while and that is a few quick memories off the top of my head.

Like I said I have been to plenty of other away games with varying degrees of this stuff. And I am no saint - have had a few too many at home games and sure I have said stuff and acted like an ass to away fans, but this was the only sporting event that I truly did not enjoy and felt uncomfortable with the atmosphere. Buffalo is a sad wasteland. I am glad I went to experience it, but would never go back if my trip was paid for. I hope they move to Toronto.

If you are going I hope that they have cleaned up their act and you have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    I have been to a lot of away games. Went to BUF in 2007. Had a great weekend (aside from the game) and there were a ton of Ravens fans. I will preface what I am saying with I met a ton of awesome, super nice Bills fans prior to the game.

We had a group of about 40 total sitting in 3 different sections - mostly family and friends that were 30+ years old and clearly not looking for trouble. Had D cell batteries thrown at us when we pulled into the parking lot, AAA batteries (LOL) thrown at us during the game (the security guy standing 4 feet to my left looked at me and shrugged) and saw a woman Ravens fan I didn't know get sucker punched in the face by another woman walking into the concourse from her seats. A friend of mine who sat in a different section next to a Bills fan the whole game without exchanging one word turned to leave after the game and he got punched in the face. I wont mention the scene in the parking lot after the game that looked like it was bombed during WW2 and never cleaned up. It has been a while and that is a few quick memories off the top of my head.

Like I said I have been to plenty of other away games with varying degrees of this stuff. And I am no saint - have had a few too many at home games and sure I have said stuff and acted like an ass to away fans, but this was the only sporting event that I truly did not enjoy and felt uncomfortable with the atmosphere. Buffalo is a sad wasteland. I am glad I went to experience it, but would never go back if my trip was paid for. I hope they move to Toronto.

If you are going I hope that they have cleaned up their act and you have a great time.
    What's extra weird is they won that game so I don't know why they'd be so bitter.

3. Re: Buffalo Trip

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    What's extra weird is they won that game so I don't know why they'd be so bitter.
    Exactly. What the hell is the problem up there (other than the fact they live in Buffalo)?? I've been to at least 10 other NFL venues, including Pittsburgh, have not experienced anything near what I'm hearing occurs in Buffalo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmokramer View Post
    Exactly. What the hell is the problem up there (other than the fact they live in Buffalo)?? I've been to at least 10 other NFL venues, including Pittsburgh, have not experienced anything near what I'm hearing occurs in Buffalo!
    I grew up there and it wasn't like that then.

Blog Entries

Damn, this is the game that I tried to make arrangements to attend with my son but couldn't pull it off. Maybe that is a good thing.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The NFL is making a concerted effort to tame fan violence due to the deaths of the last few years in San Francisco (I believe).

Any fans going to the game should be aware of whatever services the Bills have to report unruly behavior. Also, in this day and age, a cell phone with a video camera is probably a must to verify the details of any incidents which may occur.

Regarding the "shrugging" usher...I can relate..I was at a Redskins game back in 2004(?) at FedEx and while it was not batteries (thankfully), my wife and I were on the receiving end of food, bottle tops, etc. One stadium usher told me, "Your seats are 35 miles away up I-95" and another told me "If I did not like how I was getting treated, I could just leave."

And I was not being a jerk. My wife and I were just seated watching the game (actually the pre-game festivities) when they started throwing stuff at us.

I would hope the M&T ushers are considerably more sensitive to the visiting fans than that.

Sounds like this will be a merry good time. Unfortunately I'm going with my father in law who definitely WILL NOT have my back if anything were to happen. Ah well, I'll take my chances.

I have heard fans in Buffalo can be assholes. And in the few experiences where I have met Bills fans, they have all been negative.

In 2007 I think they all still had a lot of hate for Willis McGahee IIRC which was the root of most of the venom they spewed at Ravens fans. He had bashed Buffalo as a boring city or something like that and then was traded to us. That game was his first trip back to Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    In 2007 I think they all still had a lot of hate for Willis McGahee IIRC which was the root of most of the venom they spewed at Ravens fans. He had bashed Buffalo as a boring city or something like that and then was traded to us. That game was his first trip back to Buffalo.
    That was an extremely frustrating day. Buffalo's QB, Trent Edwards, had all of 150 yards passing..however, 54 yards of it was on a pass to (wait for it....) Lee Evans in the 4th quarter that eventually led to the winning score.

Baltimore out-gained Buffalo 308 yards to 242 yards.

After a late Bills turnover and score by the Ravens, Boller and company got the ball at mid-field with 2:00 to go needing a TD to win it. After a 9-yard completion, Boller then threw 3 straight incomplete passes and the game was done....as was Billick...as the Ravens had entered the game 4-2 and would proceed to loose 8 straight games after Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    That was an extremely frustrating day. Buffalo's QB, Trent Edwards, had all of 150 yards passing..however, 54 yards of it was on a pass to (wait for it....) Lee Evans in the 4th quarter that eventually led to the winning score.

Baltimore out-gained Buffalo 308 yards to 242 yards.

After a late Bills turnover and score by the Ravens, Boller and company got the ball at mid-field with 2:00 to go needing a TD to win it. After a 9-yard completion, Boller then threw 3 straight incomplete passes and the game was done....as was Billick...as the Ravens had entered the game 4-2 and would proceed to loose 8 straight games after Buffalo.
    I can't believe we were actually 4-2 at one point that season.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    I can't believe we were actually 4-2 at one point that season.
    We got absolutely destroyed by injuries that year.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    This game is coming back to me as I look at the box score...

McGahee had 114 yards on 19 carries (that's 6 yds/carry)...and needing a yard on 2nd down, Billick called 3 straight pass plays.

Baltimore had 11 penalties on the day.

A very frustrating day.

And if you are wondering, the Ravens were favored by 3 points (ahem).