Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Boller is ready to lead

You know how bad our WR's were?

People here were bitching about Randy Hymes not starting and beleiving in his "potential".

Randy Hymes.

Randy Hymes.

I think I saw Randy Hymes filling up the Pepsi Machine in the break room at work this morning (j/k, I liked Randy, but he was always at best...very best a number 5/4 guy on a team with quality WR's) and spoke with Frank Sanders when I called Dell PC support last night for help setting up my router.

Our WR's were just incredibly bad just 3 years ago...I could use more speed with the guys we have now, but we have a good group...better than more 2/3's of the league IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    and spoke with Frank Sanders when I called Dell PC support last night for help setting up my router.
    Dude that guy had to go to *India* to find a job? That's just sad. :grbac:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Boller is 2 for 4 in the red zone this year, 3 for 4 if the refs don't call that horrid PI on Heap.
    I hated that PI play but that's in the books as a PI. Lets not make up stats just to make someone sound better than they are. Lets go with 2 for 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You know how bad our WR's were?

People here were bitching about Randy Hymes not starting and beleiving in his "potential".

Randy Hymes.

Randy Hymes.

I think I saw Randy Hymes filling up the Pepsi Machine in the break room at work this morning (j/k, I liked Randy, but he was always at best...very best a number 5/4 guy on a team with quality WR's) and spoke with Frank Sanders when I called Dell PC support last night for help setting up my router.

Our WR's were just incredibly bad just 3 years ago...I could use more speed with the guys we have now, but we have a good group...better than more 2/3's of the league IMHO.
    Count me in as one of those guys. Randy Hymes I thought was underused and not respected, even though all he did was catch the ball when it got near him.

But the fact that no other team picked him up after we cut him tells me there's more to that story than meets the eye. If someone else saw something in him the Ravens didn't, he'd be playing now. Travis Taylor was picked up by the Vikings, and Hymes IMO was better than him.

As I recall the knock on Randy Hymes was route running & being where he was supposed to be. He was electrifying to watch, and I still hold a grudge against Jeff Blake for underthrowing that ball in the Pittsburgh game, then playing grab ass with Cowher, then telling reporters it was Hymes' fault he didn't catch the ball.

Our #1 and #2 receivers over the past 6+ years have left the Ravens to be, at best, #3 receivers elsewhere (Stokley, Taylor, Robinson), or left football (Sanders, Ismail, Armour, Hymes, etc. etc. etc.).

Just another reminder that sometimes a head coach's pedigree does not match his team's personnel. Good coaches still win games. Tony Dungy took his defensive pedigree to Indianapolis and won with offense, Marvin Lewis took his defensive pedigree to Cincinnati and has, to the extent he's won there, won with offense, and Brian Billick brought his offensive pedigree to Baltimore and won with defense.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Mcnair has a lifetime rating far superior to Boller genius. Look it up if you don't believe me. Oh, I forgot, you know it all don't you? Where do you get off making false and fabricated statements that I don't watch games? I guess I don't post here either? :insane:
    You don't even realize I am not bashing Boller I am actually now defending his and McNair's Red Zone TD scoring problem because it ain't the quarterbacks who are the problem!
    This is an unfair comparison. McNair spent a decade with good receivers, Boller has started 3 or 4 games with comparable receivers, o-line etc. So take your lifetime stats and stick'em where the sun don't shine! It just doesn't compare!!!!:insane:

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Uh, you seem to be forgetting that Boller only played in not even two full games last year so his rating is really not very meaningful. Heck, Anthony Wright also had a rating over 100 and I believe better than Boller's last season but again he played in only a game or two. You need to look at the body of Boller's work and his rating is around 71 to get a valid portrait of his QB skills. Granted he looks a bit better now but again, small sample size as we have yet to see if he has improved on the road. His 11 snaps against the Bengals were again, too small a sample size.
    You've just made your point against yourself! YOU are the one comparing "lifetime" stats. It's not a fair comparison... you just proved it!:insane:

Stats Schmats! Lets see how Boller moves the ball against the Bills. He did well/decent last week in my opinion. Not brilliant but decent. He is starting to look a lot more comfortable in a leadership role. He should not get to used to it though. As soon as McNair is better, it is back to the sidelines with Boller. Until McNair gets hurt again after or somehow during the bye-week.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    It's amazing what kind of confidence you can begin to accrue when you know your offensive line won't get you killed, and if you hit your receiver in the numbers with the ball, 99 out of 100 times they'll hold onto it.
    I don't agree....he's had good protection and missed wide-open receivers by under throwing the ball or throwing it out of bounds. Watching him against Buffalo (10/21), he missed Devard Darling wide open on the sideline! He had his man beat by 5 yards but Boller threw it out of bounds!!! He isn't good enough to make mistakes like that and come back and do it again.
    He has zero playcalling abilities at the line. Buffalo (same game) was blitzing 8 or 9 guys and D Williams was supposed to run a streak down the sideline. Instead of having DWill run a slant (which as an NFL QB you should be able to do!), Boller ran the play as usual and was pressured too quickly, which he "imagine that" under threw for an incompletion!! I find it hard to believe that anyone feels like we're gonna make it to the SB with someone like him! Or McNair for that matter!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I don't agree....he's had good protection and missed wide-open receivers by under throwing the ball or throwing it out of bounds. Watching him against Buffalo (10/21), he missed Devard Darling wide open on the sideline! He had his man beat by 5 yards but Boller threw it out of bounds!!! He isn't good enough to make mistakes like that and come back and do it again.
    He has zero playcalling abilities at the line. Buffalo (same game) was blitzing 8 or 9 guys and D Williams was supposed to run a streak down the sideline. Instead of having DWill run a slant (which as an NFL QB you should be able to do!), Boller ran the play as usual and was pressured too quickly, which he "imagine that" under threw for an incompletion!! I find it hard to believe that anyone feels like we're gonna make it to the SB with someone like him! Or McNair for that matter!!!!

I am going to disagree with some of what you said, agree with a little of it. First, no way Boller lost this game for us. No interceptions today, no QB fumbles. The defense and special teams played just as bad today. How many balls did Figurs drop today that ended up with us starting way back? Trent Edwards shredded our defense at times. The offense did manage two touchdowns today, one by McGahee and one by Boller. There should have been more, yes. But it would have been nice for Lee Evans not to have 95 yards, and Marshawn Lynch have 84 and a TD. It would also have been nice if on a pass that went for a first down, Sypnewski didn't fumble the ball deep in Bills territory.

Now, here's where the wierdness comes in. Statistically, Boller outplayed Edwards. Edwards was 151 yards with an INT. Boller was 191 and a TD. You would think that would have been enough to win the game. I'll also submit to you that there were times when called upon, Boller did some things. Remember McGahee's TD run? That was the drive on 2nd and 6 that our OL got two back to back false start penalties that put the offense at 2nd and 16. Kyle made two big throws to get a first down from that before Willis had his two runs for the Touchdown. Otherwise that's another punt.

Now, where I am going to agree with you on is that someone has GOT to sit him down and show him every throw he makes off his back foot. I dunno if it's shellshock or what, but he does throw deep balls as if he's about to get hit, even when he's not being hurried. I don't know who, but somebody has got to get him on the field and force him to plant his back foot before making any long throw. Personally, I think if he stepped into any of those downfield throws the last two weeks they would have been on target. Until then, he's not going to make those more often than not. That's going to make the difference more than anything.

BTW, this team could have a Tom Brady on it, and I don't think we are a Super Bowl team. Only the irrational couple of knuckleheads on this forum think it's all about Kyle Boller. But the rest of us see a SLEW of problems that are going to make us lucky to be in the playoffs this year. Consider this: 2nd and 1 and we throw the ball 3 times. One was going to be a swing pass with 8 in the box. Did Billick have so little confidence in McGahee, Smith, or Anderson that in two tries and a timeout we couldn't have run 1 yard for a first down in 2 tries and throw on 4th down as a last chance?

I saw better things out of our offense today than I have all year. Anybody on this board, who's not on the ignore list for being totally oblivous, think we can make up a 2nd and 16 with McNair? Heck, can anybody provide me with an example of McNair leading us to a TD from inside the red-zone this season?

It's not all about the QBs though. This offense is putrid. I called every play for the entire third quarter.
    First down: run
    Second down: short pass
    Third down: mid-range pass to pick up the first down, hopefully

Now if I'm sitting in my house 15 hours away eating a bowl of chicken alfredo and can tell whats coming next, smart money says that the guys who are paid to know the opposing coaches game plan dang sure know what's coming.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Only an idiot would blame this game on Kyle.

Could he have done some things different...yes, I could name a couple times I screamed at teh TV, but the guy played ok...not great but ok.

And I agree...his mechanics at times are just horrible. When he steps in his throw, he throws a good ball, but that last pass is why I lose my mind sometimes...what the hell was that falling back, sideways awkward throw on a pretty ho-hum pass (although Musa was covered and wouldn't have gotten the first down anyway)? You see that and you wonder if he will ever understand that you can't do that.

Then you see that absolute rocket laser thathe fit in between 3 defenders and you know that is a pass that maybe 2 other guys in this league can make and you drool.

That is Kyle Boller...the teasing, the talent, the toughness and then the inconsistancy, and poor mechanics.

I don't know...this offence is just a complete joke and I'm sick and tired of it. I have defended Billick in the past, but I'm ready for him to go. I know it won't happen and doing it now makes no sense, but I'd love to replace him with Rex, after the season and let Neuhisel (sp?) run the offense and see how it goes then.