Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: House passes bill against Food Stamps

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Conservatives have been saying this for decades.

I'd also add there needs to be some sort fraud prevention / enforcement.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

On a semi related note.

The house also passed a new continuing resolution that does not include funding for Obamacare.

So I am going to make a little prediction here. The Senate passes the bill but includes funding for Obamacare, sends it back to the house and then the house will pass that and say "we had no time left, this was the best we could get".

I'd be willing to wager if there are any sucke..... err... takers.

Blog Entries

I am fully expecting a gov shut down for a few weeks...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am fully expecting a gov shut down for a few weeks...
    I certainly hope so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Yeah. This isn't going anywhere.
    And $4B a year is laughable.
    No balls anywhere on Capitol Hill.
    Exactly.

ILMAO at Boner when he said he expects a good fight from the Senate. Hell, he'll
    be the first to cave in as always which is why we call him Boner.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-20-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries

I certainly hope so.
    YOu wouldn't be saying that if you worked for the Gov't. I was furloughed back in the
    90s when GOP lost their show down and the gov't closed, however we still got paid
    and laughed because we got a couple of extra days off.

However, my former agency furloughed the entire damn place all summer. NO one could
    work on Fridays and MOndays. I know guys that lost $500 pr mo. Nobody laughed then.
    They went back to work first week of Sept and are cringing at another shut down.

The bad thing about it was the agency had the money to pay them via supplemental funds
    but MED COM, the parent command, wouldn't let them use it. They didn't care about
    the employees.

Supplmental funds are in addition to the budget handed down by the Pentagon. We
    generated them because we are one of the few gov't agencies that operates as a business.
    Thats because we have expertise that private businesses, local gov'ts and foundations need so they contract us.

We send employees all over the world on jobs like ground water and air pollution and even
    noise pollution and even hospitals concerning industrial hygiene issues ensuring they
    are in compliance with Federal regulations.

They generate millions but the pentagon wouldn't let them disburse them
    to furlough employees and that sucks.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-20-2013 at 11:30 PM.

I certainly hope so.
    I don't. I just got finish being furloughed. My savings is almost empty.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think instead of just giving people money for who knows how long, that money should be used to train people and give them a skill. You know...teach a man to fish instead of just giving him a fish over and over. There are e lots of skilled jobs out here where you don't necessarily need a degree, but can get with training certificates and will pay a livable wage. I know the state has a program like this, but the funding is erratic while they are still paying welfare out to people who are perfectly content to live on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Those type of programs do exist. I grew up on welfare. My mother was able to good to school and finish her undergrad. She also got 2 business certifications. After 3 years we were off of welfare. I even took an after school program that taught basic computer skills. It's where I learned to type. Its there, people just need to take advantage of it. Maybe taking away their welfare benefits after X amount of time without taking any improvement programs would be some good motivation.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

IMO, Welfare has been reformed quite well already which is probably why it hasn't been pushed by the House/Senate like that. That is an accomplishment for Republicans and to an extent Clinton since he signed it. Many places you can only be on it like 2 years concurrently or twice within a 5 year period. It's not some open ended thing...There's also policies in place to make sure you're looking for work or getting educated along with additional enforcement at the state level (Florida drug testing). The food stamp funding issue from what I can see is a tricky one because in a way, it's a labor issue. There's tons of jobs out there in the private sector (public sector shed a ton of jobs), but people aren't experienced/skilled enough for them, or the low skilled jobs many laid off people took pay so little they have to go on some assistance to get by. And that is keeping many young people from being employed because that used to be their starter jobs. Throw in the immigration elephant in the room where *some* companies would prefer bringing in already high skilled (and cheap) foreign labor along with super cheap migrant labor for low skilled work and you get quite a mess...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    On a semi related note.

The house also passed a new continuing resolution that does not include funding for Obamacare.

So I am going to make a little prediction here. The Senate passes the bill but includes funding for Obamacare, sends it back to the house and then the house will pass that and say "we had no time left, this was the best we could get".

I'd be willing to wager if there are any sucke..... err... takers.
    Ahem... (called it)

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ainst-Ted-Cruz

I like Beitbart, but I am not sure this is accurate, at least from Cornyn's standpoint.

Cornyn is all over the news, on Twitter, etc pronouncing he's supports defunding Obamacare. He's painted himself into a pretty tight corner.

Blog Entries

I thought so too. But maybe it's just for show and behind the scenes he's just trying to get things done.

Maybe it's a preemptive strike by Breitbart?