Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

With 3 days left before the start of the season, what's the biggest concern?

There's obviously been a lot of discussion about the WR situation, the TE situation, even the CB situation. But to me, the biggest issue heading into the season is Gradkowski at center. He seems undersized and over matched, and that's not necessarily something that's going to be corrected by technique. Buddy Lee was able to do it at his position, but I don't think that's going to help Gradkowski. I'm surprised the Ravens haven't gone after a veteran center, even though that approach has its problems as well.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 09-02-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Re: With 3 games left before the start of the season, what's the biggest concern?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    There's obviously been a lot of discussion about the WR situation, the TE situation, even the CB situation. But to me, the biggest issue heading into the season is Gradkowski at center. He seems undersized and over matched, and that's not necessarily something that's going to be corrected by technique. Buddy Lee was able to do it at his position, but I don't think that's going to help Gradkowski. I'm surprised the Ravens haven't gone after a veteran center, even though that approach has its problems as well.
    Don't see any problem with Gradkowski's play; he was solid during the preseason. AQ Shipley was the one who was awful.

The "Gradkowski is too small" meme continues I guess...

Re: With 3 games left before the start of the season, what's the biggest concern?

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Don't see any problem with Gradkowski's play; he was solid during the preseason. AQ Shipley was the one who was awful.

You didn't see any problems with Gradkowski's play during the preseason? He didn't get much of a push in the run blocking schemes, and he didn't do that well pass protecting. I guess other than that...he did great.

I'm starting to worry about the DL. Arthur Jones as an undisclosed ailment and is out for Thursday already. Brandon Williams is in a boot, no idea what that's all about.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    You didn't see any problems with Gradkowski's play during the preseason? He didn't get much of a push in the run blocking schemes, and he didn't do that well pass protecting. I guess other than that...he did great.
    Nope, he was solid and athletic, as I thought he would be. He was fine pass blocking. Run game on the whole struggled. Jah Reid and also (surprisingly) KO struggled.

Being bracketed by Yanda and Osemele will be a big help to him. It may take him a few games to be properly adjusted but he'll be fine. I wouldn't expect the transistion from Birk to him to be smooth right away.

Blog Entries

The offense is going to take a few weeks to come together. There is just no way around it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Looking at the time/date at the start of this thread, I assume you meant "3 days left" and not "3 games left" before the start of the regular season. Otherwise, my concern would be how tired and beat up they would be playing four consecutive days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Looking at the time/date at the start of this thread, I assume you meant "3 days left" and not "3 games left" before the start of the regular season. Otherwise, my concern would be how tired and beat up they would be playing four consecutive days.
    I was trying to figure this out, thank you for helping me.

Biggest concerns...secondary play and receiving. Honorable mention for ST coverage.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post

He graded out poorly against starters according to filmstudy.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He'll be fine; it'll take time to gel but his athleticism in getting to the second level was evident. Like I said he struggled in run blocking but so did the entire line, including KO.

Honestly, KO's struggles are more concerning than Gradkowski getting beat up by Star Lotulolei.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think the biggest success factor to Gradkowski is going to be Yanda at RG.

Vs the Panthers, Gradkowski looked good until Yanda went out and KO moved to RG. Then, ALL HELL broke loose.

In any case, Gradkowski > Shipley. This could be a reason why Jensen isn't going on IR, maybe an insurance policy.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!