Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chykie Brown

Chykie Brown

Has he been studying at the Frank Walker "I can't turn around to look at the QB or the ball so I'll just maul the receiver" school of DBs? And judging by the looks he's been getting from Harbaugh, it's clear the head coach has been none too pleased. Is this just Brown having a poor preseason, or is this a preview of things to come?

Re: Chykie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Has he been studying at the Frank Walker "I can't turn around to look at the QB or the ball so I'll just maul the receiver" school of DBs? And judging by the looks he's been getting from Harbaugh, it's clear the head coach has been none too pleased. Is this just Brown having a poor preseason, or is this a preview of things to come?
    He started off getting rave reviews early in camp...then the Tampa game happened and he's been awful in games and the practice reports about him have been rough too.

I don't think he's good...he looks like a really good athlete trying to play football. Hopefully Asa can take that 4th CB spot when he comes back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He started off getting rave reviews early in camp...then the Tampa game happened and he's been awful in games and the practice reports about him have been rough too.

I don't think he's good...he looks like a really good athlete trying to play football. Hopefully Asa can take that 4th CB spot when he comes back.

I've been impressed with Asa besides the obvious suspension issues. I think he'll be on the team once the suspension is up.

And yes Brown seems to have no awareness. He just flails his arms around when the ball is near.

Blog Entries

Hes had his ups and downs but a lot of younger players do. Needs to work on consistency. Hes still going to be a big part of our defense and i think when we go full speed hes going to look similar to what he did last year. Preseason can be really hard on DBs. youre not getting a lot of help you normally would.
    -JAB

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Yea this is what I'm hoping as well. That wasnt Asa's best perfromance yesterday but we know hes capable of better. But I'm really starting to get frustrated with Chykie..... I mean he has the measurables to be a nice player back there but the man has zero instincts. You just wonder when or IF the light will click on for him.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    Yea this is what I'm hoping as well. That wasnt Asa's best perfromance yesterday but we know hes capable of better. But I'm really starting to get frustrated with Chykie..... I mean he has the measurables to be a nice player back there but the man has zero instincts. You just wonder when or IF the light will click on for him.
    I noticed that it wasn't Asa's best game either. So it shows that even when guys look great for 3 preseason games, they can look not so great in one. I'm hoping that the lights come on for Chykie...but I started having my doubts the past couple of weeks. Still, it's only preseason, and I tend not to put too much stock in what goes on.

Blog Entries

He played well for a stretch of games last season.

He got completely abused last night by Brian Quick though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He played well for a stretch of games last season.

He got completely abused last night by Brian Quick though.
    Inconsistency seems to be the label for Chykie at this point in his career.

Surprising he had such a poo poo game too. Reports were in late July / early August were he was having a great camp.

I haven't watched the game yet. I was in the car and had it on Sirius radio. They only gave the St. Louis feed. Their hometown announcers were talking about what a beast Quick has been all preseason and that they believe this season he is going to become a true NFL superstar. Granted, that could be some Demetrius Williams type talk but they are very very high on that wide receiver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Inconsistency seems to be the label for Chykie at this point in his career.

Surprising he had such a poo poo game too. Reports were in late July / early August were he was having a great camp.
    The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of Domonique Foxworth.

Like Foxworth, Chykie has excellent speed, quickness and he does have decent zone-cover skills. However, he just isn't physical at all and loses battles in man-to-man coverage against physical receivers, which Brian Quick at 6'3" 220lbs is.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of Domonique Foxworth.

Like Foxworth, Chykie has excellent speed, quickness and he does have decent zone-cover skills. However, he just isn't physical at all and loses battles in man-to-man coverage against physical receivers, which Brian Quick at 6'3" 220lbs is.
    I think Foxworth. was a MUCH better CB than Brown. I think he was faster and quicker...and lord knows he played the ball way better.

I agree with a previous poster who made the Frank Walker comparison.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I think Foxworth. was a MUCH better CB than Brown. I think he was faster and quicker...and lord knows he played the ball way better.

I agree with a previous poster who made the Frank Walker comparison.

Foxworth was a good CB. I agree with you there. Comparing to Walker is just a flat out insult that I think he hasn't earned yet. You need to suck for at least 5 or 6 years to be compared to Walker.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.