Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Things in Syria could get interesting...

The problem with Syria is the people that Assad's group is fighting against are the exact same ones we're fighting. As a members of the human race I would assume most people in the U.S. find the use of chemical weapons repulsive. But, and there's always a but, the Muslim Brotherhood has made it a point to target civilians in their ongoing war to make the entire world Muslim.

Two wrongs don't make a right. There's also no way Obama is going to get enough support to strike Syria given that such an action would be helpful to the Muslim Brotherhood.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by kojo View Post
    Obama doesn't have the political capital or trust of the nation (probably due to his numerous scandals) to do a missile strike let alone declare war. based on Romney's rhetoric on the trail in regards to Syria and military spending, I wouldn't be surprised if he would've done it already (or be close to it), but wouldn't catch as much flack. I know, I know, waste of time to assume and such. Assad going down gives the US/Israel more power in the region over Iran and Russia and I'm guessing the Govt (Obama, McCain, graham, etc) feel it's worth it. In the ensuing chaos they are probably betting any al Qaeda or jihadist groups hostile to US/israel there get dealt with by other rebel groups jockeying for power. Hopefully we don't end up doing a thing, but this should be interesting with the debt ceiling stuff coming up...
    Yep, Obama has lost alot of political capital. It's way he's kicked the issue to Congress, he can't pull it off on his own. I think if Romney was POTUS we would already be in Syria, as he had such a hard line about it during the election.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Yep, Obama has lost alot of political capital. It's way he's kicked the issue to Congress, he can't pull it off on his own. I think if Romney was POTUS we would already be in Syria, as he had such a hard line about it during the election.
    I actually appreciate that he went to Congress rather than using "Executive Authority" and do what he wants.

The reason why I appreciate this is because Congress doesn't seem too willing to get involved in a military campaign against Syria and possibly wind up getting involved with Russia, Iran and China.

CNN this morning is reporting that Syria might concede their weapons to international control. Apparently Russia would be good with this as well.

Win, win for everyone IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I actually appreciate that he went to Congress rather than using "Executive Authority" and do what he wants.

The reason why I appreciate this is because Congress doesn't seem too willing to get involved in a military campaign against Syria and possibly wind up getting involved with Russia, Iran and China.

CNN this morning is reporting that Syria might concede their weapons to international control. Apparently Russia would be good with this as well.

Win, win for everyone IMO.
    Agree on all points.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/10/po...html?hpt=hp_t1

Syria accepts Russia's proposal to disarm.

Anyone really believe they're going to disarm?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not sure yet, but it is a good thing IMO that Russia is backing the disarmament.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No. Plus how exactly will this work in the middle of a violent shooting war? UN Inspectors scouring the war zones? No. Some kind of weeks-long, unenforceable cease-fire? No.

This is a charade offered by Russia to give Obama a semi-"out" and to help Assad. Assad will hand over a few of his chemical weapons (not all), Russia and Syria will assure everyone that is all they have, Obama will accept it and pretend he disarmed Syria and there is no "need" for action now (despite the fact civilians will continue to get killed by the thousands), the liberal-machine (including the mainstream press) will hail it as a Obama triumph/success, and the sycophants/lemmings will bleat the talking points given.

It is a very shrewd move by Putin. He understands what makes Obama tick (shallow, political self-interest), and is using that to his advantage.