Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Everything Guns (Part 2)

My wife and I both carry G19's. Great weapon.

NC -- why no external hammer?

Blog Entries

I was explaining my gun the best I could (I'm no expert) and she seemed like she'd be more comfortable seeing the mechanism that makes the gun go boom.

I've got her signed up for a course Friday where they'll go over things more and she'll decide then. I'm hoping she is fine with whatever cause I can get one of the new Glock 42's for $400.

Good Luck! The important thing is she likes and is comfortable with what she shoots.

Just to pass some advice on to her though ... sometimes, when shooters can see the hammer, they anticipate the shot too much and push / pull the shot to one side or the other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Good Luck! The important thing is she likes and is comfortable with what she shoots.

Just to pass some advice on to her though ... sometimes, when shooters can see the hammer, they anticipate the shot too much and push / pull the shot to one side or the other.
    That is a very good point. She is going to take a class this Friday and they'll have shooting for an hour, so I'll know soon what she wants.

Also of note, with no external safety, a Glock would need to be holstered when in a purse... or have no bullet chambered, which to me is a fate worse then being unarmed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Also of note, with no external safety, a Glock would need to be holstered when in a purse... or have no bullet chambered, which to me is a fate worse then being unarmed.
    She would go with a holster. She really liked this one, but I'd like a more conventional holster if she doesn't have safety.

One I was considering was the PX4 Storm, anybody have thoughts on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It has a trigger safety. Unless you're an utter moron or poor trigger discipline, it's not going to go off. It also has an internal drop safety which can withstand the jostling of a purse.

If you're going to purse carry, no matter the gun, women shouldn't just throw it in the same pocket as their lip stick, cell phones and keys. It should be in it's own compartment, free of all impingements.

Thanks HoustonRaven for giving me the heads up on this discussion. :)

I'm partial to the Springfield XD 40. That was my first handgun and I absolutely love it. I don't really have anything to compare it to, so I'm no help there. lol I carry a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 for my conceal and carry. It's a bit small and the laser isn't accurate(yet...I still need to adjust it) but it's a pretty good little gun. I'm not used to shooting a handgun that small, so I definitely need more practice with it. I am a much better shot when using my 40, but that is way too big to carry.

I bought my wife a Hi-point 9mm for her home defense gun. I DO NOT recommend it! It's cheap in price for a reason. I should have done more research before buying one. That's my bad. I am planning on trading it in and getting her something better. She did buy herself a Ruger .380 for her conceal and carry. She's not too bad with it, but like me, needs more practice time. We both took the conceal and carry class back in September and passed it rather easily.

I also have a Savage 270 for hunting and a Ruger 10/22 (pic below) for plinking/target practice. Yes, it's purple!! lol

22.jpg

As far as ammo goes, .380's are about as hard to come by as .22LR are here in NC. You can get them, but you will pay way too much for them. It's better to order online at the moment.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Bodyguard. I bought one two years ago and it pretty much sits in my safe.

The safety was way stiff when I first bought it. Took a Dremmel to it but that didn't do much good. It's smaller, polymer frame makes for a hell of a kick. I understand they were looking to keep the weight of the gun down but I think they went one step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan of the Bodyguard. I bought one two years ago and it pretty much sits in my safe.

The safety was way stiff when I first bought it. Took a Dremmel to it but that didn't do much good. It's smaller, polymer frame makes for a hell of a kick. I understand they were looking to keep the weight of the gun down but I think they went one step too far.
    Yeah, I'm going to give it some more time with some more practice. I haven't had any issues with the safety on mine, but the break down pin is extremely stiff. I can't break it down with out having to use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the pin out. I'm going to try to get the laser aligned properly and see how long it stays like that before I make a full judgement on it. I'm not going to let he break down pin be the main negative I have against it. I don't want it to be too loose, but it should be a bit easier than it is to break down. The kick doesn't bother me any.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to give it some more time with some more practice. I haven't had any issues with the safety on mine, but the break down pin is extremely stiff. I can't break it down with out having to use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the pin out. I'm going to try to get the laser aligned properly and see how long it stays like that before I make a full judgement on it. I'm not going to let he break down pin be the main negative I have against it. I don't want it to be too loose, but it should be a bit easier than it is to break down. The kick doesn't bother me any.
    Get yourself a basic gun smith kit instead of using a screwdriver. One like this ...

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CHoQpiswAg

Though the medal can withstand the prying, the blue on the weapon cannot.