Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Adams is a very good run blocker, but he was attrocious at times in pass pro last season, he was barely above replacement level. Last year Paul Kruger absolutely abused Adams. Our main advantage over the Steelers this year is our edge rushers vs their tackles. Our run def looks good with the likes of Daryl Smith and Courtney Upshaw in there, so it's not like the Steelers can just pound the ball on us. They're going to have to use quick timed passes against us to slow our pass rush down. I'm really not sure how you run on this front 7 when you have Suggs and Upshaw setting the edges, Canty, Ngata, and Art Jones in the middle, and with Daryl Smith in the middle, there really isn't a weakness in terms of run def in this front 7. They will have to get us in the nikel package and catch us off guard that way, when we have Doom in and Art Brown in for Josh Bynes. Even then, that front 7 still looks scary to run on.

Re: Pittsburgh/Giants observation

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Well, those games against Houston and Denver in the regular season the D got spanked pretty bad. I hear what you are saying though, it's just the first preseason game, but you want to look a whole lot better than they did last night. That coaching staff has it's work cut out.
    i'd say our defense got spanked most of all of last year. the dallas game was a debacle. i watched the colts playoff game last night and the defense was pretty bad in that game as well. my prediction is cody does not see thef iled this year wiht all of our depth.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yea, but like Complex said, they have a new RB similar to Rice's running style and they changed the blocking schemes to accomodate him. Like he said, they will be running a lot but we beefed up our run game with Canty who was great in Tampa, Doom, Spears, Brandon
    Williams and we still have Nagata, ARt Jones and McPhee and Suggs plus Arthur Brown who will be faster than Ray was last year.

Thanks Complex. Sounds like Woodly was your McKinnie last year-lol. Everyone
    brings their A game vs us especially your guys and the Bungals no matter how bad
    they are they can always beat us. I'm always the same as you during the games. I
    tape the games and watch it later if we win. My heart can't take it when we lose. You gota love our division.
    They are switching to outside zone similar to the Redskins. It is a running scheme that benefits 1 cut runners. It is surprising because of the current running backs most of them are better suited for the power running game they are moving away from. I like the Howlings pick up but he is probably not big enough to be the full time back.

The Steelers remind me of the Ravens from last year. There should be significant concern about their secondary. It is old and you hope it has enough juice in the tank for one last rodeo. TP has not been great when healthy the last few years. Similar to Ed Reed. Clark is good but he is also getting long in the tooth. Ike Taylor's play tailed off a bit last year and he is not young either. Steelers are hoping that Cortez Allen is ready to take on a bigger role. He is injured right now. Reminds me of Jimmy Smith from last year. Not going to kick dirt on their graves but I would be saying some novenas that it holds together.

The Oline should also be a concern. Similar to the Ravens last year. New LT and RT. Adams and DeCastro have not shown that they can play at a high level. Less concerned with DeCastro. Pouncey is good when healthy which is proving to be not as often as one would like. These guys have to step up and play well together. There is only one proven guy on the line going into the season.

Steelers have the QB so they will be dangerous if they stay healthy. They could also see father time catch up with them. It will be an interesting year for sure.

I predict Ben goes down like a cheap hooker by game 6.

He will get nailed by someone while holding the ball forever (for the 5,000th time) and he will be limping off the field for 2-4 games (even if he isn't really hurt at all).

The old adage comes to mind: Every team is guaranteed 4 wins and 4 losses...what happens in the other 8 games determines their season.

5 of the 8 Steeler losses were by 3 points or less last year. Not saying they don't have issues (all teams do), but if they get a few more lucky breaks this year, then I could easily see them making a return to the playoffs.

And they were leading 11 of 16 games in the 4th quarter. They just could not finish. I have good thoughts, but I am unsure with so many changes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    The old adage comes to mind: Every team is guaranteed 4 wins and 4 losses...what happens in the other 8 games determines their season.

5 of the 8 Steeler losses were by 3 points or less last year. Not saying they don't have issues (all teams do), but if they get a few more lucky breaks this year, then I could easily see them making a return to the playoffs.

Everyone's been saying the Steelers are old for years. Somehow they find a way to win the games and get the job done. IMO it's never a good way to characterize a team. Also I've learned to never count them out; I agree about having the QB. Ben can win games by himself. While Pittsburgh might not getting a lot of attention, I still wouldn't count them out/stick a fork in 'em (as much as we all want to) because they're the Steelers and they have overcome the odds on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post

And 4 of their 8 wins were by 4 points or less, so it works both ways.

Some breaks, good or bad, could have made them 11-5 or 6-10, but that team both won and lost their close games in pretty equal measure, so you'd have to say the Steelers mostly came by their 8-8 record honestly.

I could see them making the playoffs, but it seems to me like it will require both finding a way to replace a good amount of lost talent AND getting more than their share of breaks. Certainly possible, just not likely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post
    Everyone's been saying the Steelers are old for years. Somehow they find a way to win the games and get the job done. IMO it's never a good way to characterize a team. Also I've learned to never count them out; I agree about having the QB. Ben can win games by himself. While Pittsburgh might not getting a lot of attention, I still wouldn't count them out/stick a fork in 'em (as much as we all want to) because they're the Steelers and they have overcome the odds on a regular basis.
    Like last year? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Like last year? ;)
    Pittsburgh was in good position last year. They were 6-3 before Roethlisberger became injured. I think they rushed him back and failed down the stretch, finishing 2-5. I'm not one to second guess, but had the team been a little more careful with his return, I believe they would have made the playoffs. Pittsburgh definitely lost games they should have won - vs. San Diego, at Dallas, at Cleveland. Factor in those games, and you're looking at a big swing in their record.