Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 20212223 LastLast

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I have never been very impressed with Jim Hostler.
    I think he is a major reason why receivers just don't ever develop. I feel like other teams find decent receivers all over the place, but the Ravens have drafted and developed what – one guy (Torrey)? Two if you count Clayton.
    Can't blame Hostler for that entire history, he wasn't even in town before 2008. I think he was in San Francisco in 2007.

But I also feel that we've never (as an organization) made the effort to get in a great WR coach. Hell, in 2001 we had Mike Nolan in the role! Then we didn't even replace him when he became DC the following year. Gave the role to David Shaw in 2003 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    So basically we traded Boldin for Stokely.
    We traded Boldin for Stokely, Dumerville, Huff, Canty, and Spears. Not a bad haul.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    We traded Boldin for Stokely, Dumerville, Huff, Canty, and Spears. Not a bad haul.
    and Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    We actually traded him in order to keep Jameel McClain, David Reed, Vonta Leach, and sign Marcus Spears (and maybe Daryl Smith)

We'll see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Not including Stokely, Jacoby Jones, Yanda, Dickson, Oher, Daryl Smith, Art Jones, Cody, Graham, Ihedigbo, Harewood, Shiancoe, or Chris Johnson-all of whom will be UFA's next winter.
    2014: yikes.
    Yikes indeed. Ouch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    They are reminding me of the young pitching "calvary" that the Orioles had going a couple years ago...Zach Britton, Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, Brandon Erbe and Chris Tillman.
    I think if the Ravens got the NFL equivalent of Tillman and Matusz out of the current group they have, they would be more than thrilled.

The elephant in the room is being missed on the offense. Joe and the recievers played all year and were very average. The increased production in the playoffs is not a result of Joe and the receivers all magically getting better at once. Two overlooked things happened to the offense that were key to the Super Bowl run.

The reshuffled OL was giving Joe a cleaner pocket and more time to throw then he had all year.

Caldwell's influence on the playbook, they threw much more across the middle of the field.

We learned that if Joe has enough time with a clean pocket he can be very accurate. Any receiver with his feet not stuck in mud is going to get open eventually. In Stokely's case, he has flypaper hands and will be fine.

Is this fantasy obsessed world the OL is not as sexy as the skill players and are often ignored, but they were the real unsung heroes of the post season. Denver had the top team sack totals in the NFL last year and they were neutralized by our OL, a huge key to winning. The one sack I felt was a coverage sack more than the line breaking down. Caldwell opening up the middle of the field is obvious when you compare the shotgun like spray of throws charted between him and Cam. The offense has enough playmakers. Joe and receivers will only be as good as the OL.

Suggs looks great.
    And it would really suck to let him go if he goes out and has another pro bowl season.
    A big part of Ozzie's cred with players is built on the tradition that he will reward the home-grown Pro Bowler. Suggs got paid, Ngata got paid, Reed got paid, Rice got paid, Flacco got paid. If Suggs has another great season this year, I don't think there's any chance the Ravens front office fucks with him.

They might extend him, convert some of his salary to signing bonus to reduce his cap hit, etc: all those tricks. But they won't move him. He's too obviously the heir apparent to Lewis in leadership, too obviously the poster child for the home-drafted Raven who becomes a star, too obviously the Ravens best defender.

Now if Suggs deteriorates, like Reed did his last few seasons, then sure, Ozzie will let Suggs go. But if he plays like we think he's going to play, Suggs will be here in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think if the Ravens got the NFL equivalent of Tillman and Matusz out of the current group they have, they would be more than thrilled.
    Tillman...who I acknowledged...sure. Matusz is debatable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    The elephant in the room is being missed on the offense. Joe and the recievers played all year and were very average. The increased production in the playoffs is not a result of Joe and the receivers all magically getting better at once. Two overlooked things happened to the offense that were key to the Super Bowl run.

The reshuffled OL was giving Joe a cleaner pocket and more time to throw then he had all year.

Caldwell's influence on the playbook, they threw much more across the middle of the field.

We learned that if Joe has enough time with a clean pocket he can be very accurate. Any receiver with his feet not stuck in mud is going to get open eventually. In Stokely's case, he has flypaper hands and will be fine.

Is this fantasy obsessed world the OL is not as sexy as the skill players and are often ignored, but they were the real unsung heroes of the post season. Denver had the top team sack totals in the NFL last year and they were neutralized by our OL, a huge key to winning. The one sack I felt was a coverage sack more than the line breaking down. Caldwell opening up the middle of the field is obvious when you compare the shotgun like spray of throws charted between him and Cam. The offense has enough playmakers. Joe and receivers will only be as good as the OL.
    Joe's pocket presence improved dramatically after Caldwell took over and the o-line improved. Caldwell's playcalling and the improved o-line made Joe much more comfortable IMO. Caldwell was moving the pocket much more than Cam ever did, and he was mixing up between short and long drops to keep the launch point moving. It's harder for a pass rusher to tee off on a QB if he doesn't know where the QB will be.

Blog Entries

Tillman...who I acknowledged...sure. Matusz is debatable.
    Matusz has been one of their best relievers since they put him in that role middle of last year. I think you are selling him a little short, but that is a conversation for another thread. I do get your point and the comparison, just feel a great player and a good player out of Doss, Thompson, Mellette, Brown, and Williams, who are all mid to late round or undrafted players, would absolutely thrill the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Joe's pocket presence improved dramatically after Caldwell took over and the o-line improved. Caldwell's playcalling and the improved o-line made Joe much more comfortable IMO. Caldwell was moving the pocket much more than Cam ever did, and he was mixing up between short and long drops to keep the launch point moving. It's harder for a pass rusher to tee off on a QB if he doesn't know where the QB will be.
    Agree 100%. These things explain the difference between the playoffs and the regular season since everything else was static. It's too obvious to get 0% credit, I'll GMSAOH now.