View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

This just in! IT WAS CAM!!!! The evidence has been collected, the verdict is in, and the case is closed. The problem with asking this question now is that you will never be able to answer it by comparing what happens in 2013 with a different roster.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

It's Cam's fault that Flacco even came out and said he was elite. He was probably trying to get people to realize how much Cam was cramping his style.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    1. Your examples off the top of your head were unimpressive to say the least. Branch was hardly mediocre, and the offense prior to Moss & Welker arriving in NE was hardly EXTREMELY competitive. So any way you slice it your "example" is bogus. And more to the point, after the Pats let Branch go to Seattle, and brought in Caldwell, who almost single handedly lost a super bowl for them, the very next year the Pats rectified that mistake and brought in Moss and Welker. And THEN they had a once in a lifetime offense, even if they didn't win it all that year.
    You're wrong about NE not having a competitive offense before Welker/Moss. The 2004 Pats were fourth in the NFL in points. You would call the "competitive", yes? I'd actually call it "good", or even "very good." And your immortal Deion Branch had 454 receiving yards. Other immortals in that receiving corps were David Patten and David Givens. You can keep saying that you can't have a competitive offense with mediocre receivers, but clearly you can. Tom Brady did in 2004.

As far as your second example goes...to say that Manning had "mediocre" WRs when he had Demaryius Thomas, who had over 1,400+ yards and 10 TDs is so ridiculous it doesn't even merit a response. Ergo, you couldn't be more wrong.
    Your circular argument goes something like this: Great QB's always have great WR's. We define great QB's by having lots of passing yards. Of course SOMEONE has to catch those yards, but as soon as they do, you define them as great WR's. My point is that Decker and Thomas were SQUAT before Peyton got there. They were mediocre until Peyton got hold of them. So if Torrey Smith and/or Jacoby Jones and/or Deonte Thompson and/or Tandon Doss catches 1,000 yards this year, then you will point to their stats and say Joe has great WR's, yes?

2. 20 snaps or not, so far, Doss has been unimpressive. And when you're trying to defend a world championship, you go for the best player at the position that you can afford, especially after trading a guy who was reliable in crunch time. You don't pin your hopes on a guy who to date hasn't proven that he can get the job done. And that goes for David Reed as well.
    You said it. No one disputes that if money were no object we would have kept Boldin. But the defense needed fixing badly -- they were the biggest problem with this team, and almost blew a 28-6 lead in the freaking Super Bowl. And fixing that cost money, so we couldn't afford to pay Anquan Boldin an above-market salary.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    You said it. No one disputes that if money were no object we would have kept Boldin. But the defense needed fixing badly -- they were the biggest problem with this team, and almost blew a 28-6 lead in the freaking Super Bowl. And fixing that cost money, so we couldn't afford to pay Anquan Boldin an above-market salary.
    Sure they could have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Ozzie never forgot the lesson from winning the last Super Bowl and vowed not to repeat the same mistakes. Paying Boldin 6m would have been a mistake. As the team's last word on evaluating talent and with the confidence of past success and the knowledge of lessons learned, he made a prudent business decision.

In other news, Joe is throwing the ball all over the field in training camp with lots of players impressing with making tough catches.

I refuse to play the blame game until at least the start of the season. ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Ozzie never forgot the lesson from winning the last Super Bowl and vowed not to repeat the same mistakes. Paying Boldin 6m would have been a mistake. As the team's last word on evaluating talent and with the confidence of past success and the knowledge of lessons learned, he made a prudent business decision.
    Completely disagree.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I refuse to play the blame game until at least the start of the season. ;)
    It's Cam's fault that Real Fan Dan won't start the blame game.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Completely disagree.

How can you disagree when that is basically the objectively known thought process Ozzie had? I don't have sources for you but if you've been following this team as closely as you seem to, you should be well aware of that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Easy one: Ozzie, for giving away our best WR, merely to save $2 million
    Baltimore fans overvalue Boldin. He's clearly a number 2 on any other team. We gotta let it go. He had a great post-season, but please...

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    How can you disagree when that is basically the objectively known thought process Ozzie had? I don't have sources for you but if you've been following this team as closely as you seem to, you should be well aware of that already.
    i believe biscuit said it during the state of the ravens something along the line of not paying players for past accomplishments and focusing on the future

A few points:

1. Boldin is no longer a member of this team and whether you agreed with the Ravens decision to part with him, that now is irrelevant. The Ravens FO thought that Boldin was too expensive and therefore traded him. Let it go. Some of you sound like that one thirsty girl who gets dumped by her boyfriend senior year but yet is still talking about him even when she's in her thirties. Move on.

2. We can all surmise that Cam was holding Boldin back and that if he had a full season with Caldwell he would have been more productive (1000 yards season, more catches, etc) but we do not know for sure. However, we do know that an aging Derrick Mason was able to eclipse 1000 yards with Cam as the OC.

3. While I do understand people's frustration in regards to the trade of Boldin, if we were astute, we would wait to see how this offense plays out with the likes of Doss, and Thompson, Reed, etc. Although they have underwhelmed thus far, their resumes are too incomplete for us to make assumptions and label them as busts. They simply have not had enough playing time. We can have this conversation a year from now.

4. To answer the question, if the offense still struggles, I think that it is on #5. Not Ozzie. While it is too early to play the blame game, Flacco is seen as the "the guy" in Baltimore and if the offense still has problems without the awful Cam Cameron then he must be the reason for the struggles. Nevertheless, I doubt that this will be the case because #5 is pretty awesome.
    Last edited by shana; 07-31-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Typo