View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I guess you've never watched Megatron, Julio Jones, Greg Jennings, Roddy White, Andre Johnson, etc play the game?

They were great catches. And yes, he was an important part of this team. But let's not distort history over the man.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Remember that State of the Ravens press conference, when Bisciotti talked about paying players who were ascending in their careers, as opposed to descending? They weren't joking. It is without a doubt the correct policy to have to achieve long-term success. It might mean you lose a productive year or two from some great players, and replace them with lesser talent. This could be the case this year not only with Boldin, but with Reed. But that doesn't make it a bad decision.
    That's true to a certain extent. But you have to have SOME reasonable level of talent to replace older players with. And since the beginning of the Ravens, Ozzie Newsome has shown an inability to draft talented WRs. And it's insane to expect ANY QB to turn mediocre WRs into a serious competitive offense. It just doesn't work that way. Not to mention that if any QB has already done more with less talented WRs it's Joe. The idea was to improve the offense after giving him the contract he earned; not keep spinning wheels or going backward. And the way things are shaping up, the offense is going backward.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    That's true to a certain extent. But you have to have SOME reasonable level of talent to replace older players with. And since the beginning of the Ravens, Ozzie Newsome has shown an inability to draft talented WRs. And it's insane to expect ANY QB to turn mediocre WRs into a serious competitive offense. It just doesn't work that way. Not to mention that if any QB has already done more with less talented WRs it's Joe. The idea was to improve the offense after giving him the contract he earned; not keep spinning wheels or going backward. And the way things are shaping up, the offense is going backward.
    Seems to me Brady was pretty competitive with some pretty mediocre WR's. Remember Troy Brown and Deion Branch? Peyton did okay with a mediocre corps last year. Before he got there, Thomas and Decker hadn't put up more than 600 yards. So it is by no means "insane."

Also, there are two things we do not know. One, we don't know if the current corps of WRs is the corps we are going into the season with. Many times, Oz has made a big acquisition to shore up a unit going into the season.

And two, we do not know that this current WR corps is mediocre. We haven't seen them play. Young players get better. You can't base your evaluation of Tandon Doss and Deonte Thompson on the handful of snaps you have actually watched them play. Oz and the coaches see these guys every day in practice. They have a much better handle on their level of talent and how it can be used. And if they feel that they have enough talent to go into the season and compete, maybe it's because they know something that we don't.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Seems to me Brady was pretty competitive with some pretty mediocre WR's. Remember Troy Brown and Deion Branch? Peyton did okay with a mediocre corps last year. Before he got there, Thomas and Decker hadn't put up more than 600 yards. So it is by no means "insane."

Also, there are two things we do not know. One, we don't know if the current corps of WRs is the corps we are going into the season with. Many times, Oz has made a big acquisition to shore up a unit going into the season.

And two, we do not know that this current WR corps is mediocre. We haven't seen them play. Young players get better. You can't base your evaluation of Tandon Doss and Deonte Thompson on the handful of snaps you have actually watched them play. Oz and the coaches see these guys every day in practice. They have a much better handle on their level of talent and how it can be used. And if they feel that they have enough talent to go into the season and compete, maybe it's because they know something that we don't.
    It is insane. Peyton was Peyton in large part because of Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Dallas Clark. Both Joe Montana and Steve Young benefited tremendously from Jerry Rice. Johnny U would not have been the same without Raymond Berry, John Macke, Lenny Moore, and even Jimmy Orr. And the list goes on and on.

And I saw enough of Tandon Doss last year, who when given the opportunity to show what he had crapped the bed, to state that so far, he's barely even mediocre. And David Reed? $2M to that guy? It's a joke. So seriously...you people who keep reaching to somehow put everything on Joe are comical. Give it a rest already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    We had over $5 million before resigning Leach.

I would not have re-signed Leach, had cut McClain for sure and if needed, Jacoby. None of whom are worth as much to this team as Boldin...one guy I've never liked and may never play again, another player plays a position that is being phased out and we wound up releasing anyway, and the last guy is a food return man, but has never shown himself to be a reliable WR...and I'd rather worry about the young WR's replacing a kick returner than Boldin.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

;)
    Yeah, I'm fully aware of Jacoby's play. I never said he didn't contribute.

I'd still take Anquan Boldin over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, I'm fully aware of Jacoby's play. I never said he didn't contribute.

I'd still take Anquan Boldin over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    At this point in thier career and the cost between the two I wouldn't. I still wish we had Boldin but for the money it cost to have Jacoby and what he brings vs. Boldin, I think Jacoby is the better value.

At this point in thier career and the cost between the two I wouldn't. I still wish we had Boldin but for the money it cost to have Jacoby and what he brings vs. Boldin, I think Jacoby is the better value.
    That's ok, we disagree.

I think there are people though who think Jacoby may be overpaid too though based on his real value as more of a returner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I for one am astonished that Joe threw that ball over 50 yards while on the move. That's impressive. Also, awesome footwork by Jacoby, great presence of mind to keep the play alive. Just a beautiful play all around from everyone on our team haha.

It is insane. Peyton was Peyton in large part because of Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Dallas Clark. Both Joe Montana and Steve Young benefited tremendously from Jerry Rice. Johnny U would not have been the same without Raymond Berry, John Macke, Lenny Moore, and even Jimmy Orr. And the list goes on and on. .
    Wonderful and completely irrelevant observation. No one is arguing that some great QB's have had great WR's with them. But your statement was, "it's insane to expect ANY QB to turn mediocre WRs into a serious competitive offense." I provided you with two examples off the top of my head where two different QB's turned very mediocre WRs into EXTREMELY competitive offenses. Ergo, you are wrong.

And I saw enough of Tandon Doss last year, who when given the opportunity to show what he had crapped the bed, to state that so far, he's barely even mediocre.
    So far, sure. In what, maybe 20 NFL snaps? And therefore you are able to assess what his capability as a receiver is this year, over maybe the best GM in football? Or we could let these guys who just brought us a Lombardi get the benefit of the doubt that maybe, just maybe, they know what the hell they are doing.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Wonderful and completely irrelevant observation. No one is arguing that some great QB's have had great WR's with them. But your statement was, "it's insane to expect ANY QB to turn mediocre WRs into a serious competitive offense." I provided you with two examples off the top of my head where two different QB's turned very mediocre WRs into EXTREMELY competitive offenses. Ergo, you are wrong.

So far, sure. In what, maybe 20 NFL snaps? And therefore you are able to assess what his capability as a receiver is this year, over maybe the best GM in football? Or we could let these guys who just brought us a Lombardi get the benefit of the doubt that maybe, just maybe, they know what the hell they are doing.
    1. Your examples off the top of your head were unimpressive to say the least. Branch was hardly mediocre, and the offense prior to Moss & Welker arriving in NE was hardly EXTREMELY competitive. So any way you slice it your "example" is bogus. And more to the point, after the Pats let Branch go to Seattle, and brought in Caldwell, who almost single handedly lost a super bowl for them, the very next year the Pats rectified that mistake and brought in Moss and Welker. And THEN they had a once in a lifetime offense, even if they didn't win it all that year.

As far as your second example goes...to say that Manning had "mediocre" WRs when he had Demaryius Thomas, who had over 1,400+ yards and 10 TDs is so ridiculous it doesn't even merit a response. Ergo, you couldn't be more wrong.

2. 20 snaps or not, so far, Doss has been unimpressive. And when you're trying to defend a world championship, you go for the best player at the position that you can afford, especially after trading a guy who was reliable in crunch time. You don't pin your hopes on a guy who to date hasn't proven that he can get the job done. And that goes for David Reed as well.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 07-31-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Glenn went on to ask Ed Dickson what it’s like going into camp with Jim Caldwell as the offensive coordinator. Ed let it be known that it was going to be different, but there will be a positive effect on the team and even Joe Flacco. “He gets his hands on Joe Flacco and makes an MVP, Super Bowl winning quarterback that much better, you can’t change that much but you can always get better.”