Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Elam deal is done

Don't think we thought this was going to be a holdout, but Elam agreed to his deal today, via Baltimore Ravens twitter

Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 8m
    Matt Elam's rookie contract is a four-year deal with an option for a fifth year. http://rvns.co/1w
    Aaron Wilson reports value:

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2m
    Matt Elam contract is worth $6.767 million contract, including a $3.301 million signing bonus.
    Good deal, let's roll!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Elam deal is done

Not really much drama here. All the rookie deals are slotted and basically pre-determined now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Not really much drama here. All the rookie deals are slotted and basically pre-determined now.
    yeah but Elam did wait until about 3 days before his report date to agree to terms. The 31st and 33rd picks have been done for a solid week and a half now.

I think the reason for the delay was he acted as his own agent. Harder to understand some of the process, take more time on decisions. Not a bad choice though, considering as you said "it's all pre-determined", so why pay a guy 3% to make a deal that's pre-determined?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    why pay a guy 3% to make a deal that's pre-determined?
    Truth

And it wasn't like he was swimming on his own, he does have a brother in the NFL (Abram -Sanchez trade piece) who has been through the process (undrafted and Cowboys, Jets Browns, Chiefs) so he had sufficient resources without having to hire one.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    There is a lot of drama in the upper half because of the guaranteed money. Many of the top picks are asking for and getting fully guaranteed contracts. We haven't seen it because we haven't picked there under the new CBA.

Did Elam get offset language into his contract?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Did Elam get offset language into his contract?
    we probably won't see any of those details until it's signed, when rookies report. However, being a late round pick, I'd imagine there is no offset language. The main contracts where that comes into play are the top ones, because they are higher bonuses.

A few Cap details with Elam now signed:

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 5h Terms of Matt Elam's deal should be a $6.767M deal 4 year deal, with a $3,301,456 SB and a '14 Cap # of $1,230,364

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 5h With the last of their unsigned draft picks Matt Elam now signed, Ravens are $5,299,459 under the Salary Cap.

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 4h Regarding the 5th yr option being reported in Elam's deal - its nothing special - its CBA-mandated & part of every contract for 1st rd picks

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 3h With Matt Elam now signed, Ravens are $5,299,459 under the Cap. Full breakdown of Ravens Cap and Cap #'s --->>>> http://russellstreet...com/salary-cap/

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 9 Jul (2/2) But that is the Ruleof51 Cap #. As of Week 1, all on 53, PUP, IR, PS will count against Cap. That will greatly eat into the $5,299,459
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

According to PFT Elam acted as his own agent. I seem to remember his brother having issues with agents. I wonder if that's why Matt decided not to hire one.

Blog Entries

Agents are parasites.

Blog Entries

Given the predictability of his deal (to a point) it was a smart move to go without an agent for this first contract IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Good to see him signed. There are those who say "he can't replace Ed Reed." Nobody can replace the young Ed Reed, but Elam probably can play as well as, or better than, the Ed Reed of the last couple of years. That is enough for me... Bc