Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 343536

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

I don't think Brady is overrated. He's had a terrific career. I do think he is on the downside, as is Peyton. This year will be a big test for both.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You should buy an Aaron Hernandez jersey.
    Both me and my kid prefer Ray Rice. I am a Ravens fan not a Patriot hater.

I am due for a new jersey soon though. Maybe I will go get me a #5.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    I don't know about you bigplayreceiver, but I ALWAYS hear people describe Brady as "arguably the greatest quarterback of all-time." When you say that about someone with so-so playoff performances, you're overrating the hell out of them.

And no, you can't just blow off the massive advantage Montana has over Brady with a laundry list of "Different...game plans, game situations, defenses, clock management philosophies, offensive weaponry, etc. Your singular statistical comparison of the QB position across eras is more fitting of sports bar banter"... Also? Then why don't you ALSO apply that to Flacco's seemingly "average" regular season stats? And last I checked, it's common knowledge that effective passing was significantly HARDWR back then. By pointing out the different eras you're just further pointing out how inferior Brady is to Montana.

And I PROMISE you that if Flacco continues having a 9-1 TD/INT ratio in the playoffs, he will not only be in the hall of fame, but be the unquestionable greatest quarterback in NFL history... Even if he somehow never won another Super Bowl. Though considering he's had a 95+ QBR in 7 if his last 8 playoff games, and has had multiple touchdowns in 6 straight playoff games, then obviously winning another Super Bowl isn't something we'll have to worry about. You know why? Because we root for a team with a quarterback substantially more clutch than Brady.

Oh, by the way, Flacco's REGULAR SEASON quarterback rating through his first five seasons? 86.3

Brady's REGULAR SEASON quarterback rating through his first five seasons starting?
    86. 57

Yeah, considering Brady got to sit on the bench and learn for an entire year while Flacco went straight into the frying pan....

Joe Flacco, through five years, is a better regular season quarterback than Brady was at this point. Hell, Brady threw the ball 600 damn times in 2002 and didn't even reach 4,000 yards. And Joe Flacco has, three years running, been personally playing at a level in the playoffs that Brady has yet to reach.

1) I'm not at all sure what point you're trying to make up top. Mixing eras is one thing, but that along with mixing RS and PO stats on top of adding in a hypothetical or two is a little too much for me.
    2) Yup. Flacco is underrated and he's on an elite career curve. Most everyone here would agree with you.
    3) Again, QBR is not king. I don't know if wins and SB titles are either...but in no one's version of reality is 1 SB ring > 3 SB rings.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Sure. And in the playoffs, Flacco has Brady beat hands down. Hmmm.

Oh, and before the whole "three superbowls blah blah!"...

Flacco's TD/INT in last three years: 18-2

Brady's TD/INT in three Super Bowl years: 11-3

Not to mention that includes Flacco's two separate game-winning touchdowns being dropped, while Brady benefitted from his game-losing fumble being disregarded.

So if anyone wants to argue that Brady has been better in the playoffs than Flacco, despite not playing even half as well as Flacco, better also tell me about how Jamal Lewis is better than Barry Sanders.
    lost in this conversation is that for the 1st of the NE SB run, Brady was quite possibly the worst player on either side of the ball for either team during each game of the playoffs that year. Much like BigBen's 1st SB, Brady's first SB was won in spite of him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Dear God. I feel so dirty. Defending Tom Brady and isht... *smh*
    I know what you mean. It's even worse when folks are whipping out their slide rules and babbling about inches per snap or whatever the stat-o'-the-day is.

I thought Brady was the best QB in the game during the stretch the Patriots were winning three Super Bowls. The box score would show 9-11 receivers consistently. He had a knack for moving the chains. I thought (and think) he was a better QB in those years than when he was putting up stellar fantasy numbers.

The QB he most reminded me of was Montana. Neither threw the ball particularly hard. Brady has the stronger arm of the two, but he's not particularly strong-armed as NFL-quality QB's go. Montana had a noodle for an arm compared to most NFL QB's. But he had great timing, great touch, and an awareness of the field that only a few, like Unitas and Tarkenton, could match. Brady had (and has) that awareness, and that's what's made him so effective in his career.

Now I'm going to go take a shower. Damn you all.