Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Well, yeah, when that stupid player poll puts him at the 15th-best player, it must be hard for them to accept that he's only the 13th-best at his position. They'll never accept reality.
    Yea as wonderful and scintillating as RGIII was this year...15th best player in the NFL.....really?

Jaws' list is interesting. I think we see Flacco at number 5. Jaws had him at 9 last year and then Joe won a SB.

Monday I was listening to SiriusXM's The Blitz. The hosts are Rich Gannon and Bruce Murray. For approximately the first half hour of Monday's show (11AM til 11:30, or so), Rich talked about a golf outing he had over the weekend with Jaws and Flacco. I was truly hoping they would rebroadcast the show - I was going to record it, upload it, and provide a link of this section. But the rebroadcast for this show is cut down to an hour, and this part was cut out. So, no - I do not have a link, all I have is my recollections. I understand that without a link it didn't happen, but you'll just have to trust me.

There were four of them, I forget who the fourth was, but as Delware QBs, Flacco was paired with Gannon, Jaws with the other guy.

Flacco as a golfer

Gannon said he's pretty good, or would be - it's clear from his game and his handicap (19) he doesn't get out on the links that much. Good body twist off the tee, and really strong - can hit the ball MILES. Gannon joked that he could play without ever using a driver.

Flacco as a competitor

He asked Joe of the other quarterbacks in his division, who does he admire or is steadily impressed with? He said Joe said, laughing, 'Man, I am the wrong guy to ask about that kinda stuff, because, as far as other teams, the competition is concerned, I'm a hater!' Gannon quickly said that it was not said in a bad way, that Joe is just so competitive, ultra-competitive, that, really, in his mind, all the other guys can just go...then, he and Murray just laughed. 'Cuz SiriusNFL Radio is a family station.

Flacco and the criticism

Murray asked if it seemed Flacco was singed at all from the heat over his confidence in his own "eliteness". Gannon said the impression he gets is that Joe Flacco does not give one single damn about what anybody outside of the Ravens organization thinks of him. Seriously. "And, I don't mean that in arrogant way at all," Gannon said. "He just exudes SUCH confidence." Gannon then went on to talk about Joe's "I think I'm the best" comment that everybody flipped out on as merely an example of the utter confidence Joe has in himself.

Personally, I LOVE that he's a "hater". Now I know I can interpret most of his press conference comments about the up-coming game as, "Yeah, fuck those guys."

Gotta love Joe, he really is quite the character.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Flacco as a competitor

He asked Joe of the other quarterbacks in his division, who does he admire or is steadily impressed with? He said Joe said, laughing, 'Man, I am the wrong guy to ask about that kinda stuff, because, as far as other teams, the competition is concerned, I'm a hater!' Gannon quickly said that it was not said in a bad way, that Joe is just so competitive, ultra-competitive, that, really, in his mind, all the other guys can just go...then, he and Murray just laughed. 'Cuz SiriusNFL Radio is a family station.

Flacco and the criticism

Murray asked if it seemed Flacco was singed at all from the heat over his confidence in his own "eliteness". Gannon said the impression he gets is that Joe Flacco does not give one single damn about what anybody outside of the Ravens organization thinks of him. Seriously. "And, I don't mean that in arrogant way at all," Gannon said. "He just exudes SUCH confidence." Gannon then went on to talk about Joe's "I think I'm the best" comment that everybody flipped out on as merely an example of the utter confidence Joe has in himself.

Personally, I LOVE that he's a "hater". Now I know I can interpret most of his press conference comments about the up-coming game as, "Yeah, fuck those guys."
    That is just awesome

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Now I know I can interpret most of his press conference comments about the up-coming game as, "Yeah, fuck those guys."
    IMHO "FTG" needs to be added to the site acronym list, as in, "Flacco was complimentary to next week's opponent but what he really meant was FTG."

Jaws has always been a supporter of Flacco's talent, and I'm sure he'll be feeling vindicated by last year's playoff performance. I can't see him placing Flacco any higher than fifth in these rankings, not until he shows some regular-season success or wins another championship or maybe both. Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, and Brees still have those top four spots sewn up. And both Eli and Ben have more statistical success and multiple rings, so seventh is the most likely spot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Jaws has always been a supporter of Flacco's talent, and I'm sure he'll be feeling vindicated by last year's playoff performance. I can't see him placing Flacco any higher than fifth in these rankings, not until he shows some regular-season success or wins another championship or maybe both. Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, and Brees still have those top four spots sewn up. And both Eli and Ben have more statistical success and multiple rings, so seventh is the most likely spot for him.
    agreed, you can debate the order of the first 7, but I don't think you can argue who should be included. I don't think there is another QB that deserves to be ahead of the 7 that have rings. And also agreed that 4 of them stand out. How you want to rank the top 4, up to you, as well as the next three, but IMO, there is no debate that those are the top 2 tiers and who is included in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Agree. Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees are locks for the top 4. Ben is likely #5, unless Jaws downgrades him for durability. Joe might squeak past Eli for #6, but 7th is most probable, followed by Ryan #8.

If were going on last season, which I'm sure Jaws is, Flacco should be ahead of Eli, Ben and Matt Ryan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    If were going on last season, which I'm sure Jaws is, Flacco should be ahead of Eli, Ben and Matt Ryan.
    He said he was looking at their 'body of work' which I took to mean their careers so far. That's likely why Sanchez (two AFCCs) is ahead of some of the young guys who have done nothing.

I'm not a 'list' guy but I do enjoy his detailed analysis and explanation for his picks

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

All of the great QBs' played well when it counted. So far Joe has been "Money" in the playoffs. I think Jaws credits him for that and not so much on his regular season numbers.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

what is hilarious is hearing skip bayless yell from teh rooftops that RGnoKnee should have been #5!!!! and Screaming A Smith isn't much better suggesting #7 if proper.

In Both cases they have Brady, Brees, Peyton and Rodgers as the top 4.
    SAS also has Eli and MATT RYAN ahead of him Both of them have all 4 of the young flash in the pan's ahead of Flacco and Roethlisberger.

Sad, truly sad.

I honestly think that 13 is a bit high for RGIII.

top 4- as listed above, no brainers
    next 3, Eli, BigBen and Flacco
    8 - Matt Ryan
    9. Staffod
    and then to me, is wehre it starts to get tough, but to me, to get RGIII to 13, you would have to lsit the 4 youngsters all next, andnot have RGIII last. Becuase I would rank those 4 Luck, Kapernick, Wilson and THEN the busted up RGIII (michael Vick part 2). I'm sorry, but I think RGIII will have to get very lucky to ever finish a single season healthy. I think he has maybe 8 years tops in the NFL period, and likely has already played his best football. I might even have Cam ranked over him, and would even consider Cutler, Schaub, ROMO... yeah, i even went that far. So i think 13-17 is the correct "range" roughly speaking. hmm, even Andy Dalton has me thinking.