Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jamison Hensley's All Expensive AFC North team

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...expensive-team

Interesting blog posted on ESPN, showing the players with the highest salary cap hits by position in the AFC North. Everyone and their brother (even a couple of sisters in there too) have been talking about how Joe Flacco's contract is why the Ravens had to cut ties with so many players this year, but look who is the highest paid QB this upcoming season.

Five Ravens players are on this list:

1) Terrell Suggs = $13 million
    2) Haloti Ngata = $11.5 million
    3) Marshall Yanda = $7.4 million
    4) Ray Rice = $5.75 million
    5) Jacoby Jones = $4.9 million

There are 8 Steelers players, 6 Bengals players, and 4 Browns players.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Re: Jamison Hensley's All Expensive AFC North team

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    Everyone and their brother (even a couple of sisters in there too) have been talking about how Joe Flacco's contract is why the Ravens had to cut ties with so many players this year, but look who is the highest paid QB this upcoming season.
    Ben's cap hit next year is $18 million. Until they extend him.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Ben's cap hit next year is $18 million. Until they extend him.
    AGAIN..... What's it been 3 times now they reworked his contract...

They won't extend him. They will re-work the deal much like we will have to do with Flacco in three years.

Blog Entries

I believe this may be the last year we have Ngata and Suggs on this team.

There is an article on Yahoo today that says Ben has received $70M of the $100M contract and that makes him the first to ever do it.

The ESPN.com post said there have been 16 contracts worth at least $100 million in NFL history, and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be the first one to get even $70 million of one
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...144818458.html

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They won't extend him. They will re-work the deal much like we will have to do with Flacco in three years.
    He has only 2 years left on his contract after this year. If they (once again) convert some or all of his 2014 base salary ($12.1Mil) to a signing bonus, the most the could reduce his 2014 cap number to would be a little over $12Mil, which would balloon his 2015 cap hit to $24Mil. They would then be looking at the prospect of trying to sign him to an extension in the last year of his contract (2015) while facing a difficult-to-impossible cap number if they can't get a deal done. The Steelers would have no leverage, and Ben and his agent would know that.

So while they could re-work his current deal and roll the dice in 2015, I personally think an Aaron Rogers-type extension (4-5 years added on to his remaining 2 years, at about $20-$22Mil per) this coming off-season is more likely.
    Last edited by MarkS; 07-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Fuck Hensley

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Fuck Hensley
    He is one of a very few people at ESPN that tends to be pro Ravens. So I like the guy's writing over there.

Ben has been worth every penny IMO.
    PIT's offense is garbage w/o him.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Its not bad to have high paid players. Its bad to have high paid players not producing. Can Ben and TP stay healthy? Does anyone think Woodley, Timmons, or Miller are going to have pro bowl like seasons?

Conversely, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all five of the ravens on this list had pro bowl caliber seasons (even if Jones does it on special teams).

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfball View Post
    Its not bad to have high paid players. Its bad to have high paid players not producing. Can Ben and TP stay healthy? Does anyone think Woodley, Timmons, or Miller are going to have pro bowl like seasons?

Conversely, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all five of the ravens on this list had pro bowl caliber seasons (even if Jones does it on special teams).
    I totally agree. If you look at the Ravens making top pay it's Haloti Ngata (8th year upcoming, 4x pro-bowl), Terrell Suggs (11th season upcoming, 2011 DPOY, 5x pro-bowl), Marshall Yanda (7th season upcoming, past two years pro-bowl), Ray Rice (6th season upcoming, 3x pro-bowl), and Jacoby Jones (7th season upcoming, this year pro-bowl, 3rd place dancing with the stars).

As opposed to the Steelers with Ben Roethlisberger (10th season upcoming, I would have thought more than 2 pro-bowls), Heath Miller (9th season upcoming, 2x pro-bowl), LaMarr Woodley (7th season upcoming, one pro-bowl), Lawrence Timmons (7th season upcoming, no pro-bowls), Ike Taylor (11th season upcoming, no pro-bowls), Ryan Clark (12th season upcoming, one pro-bowl), Troy Polamalu (10th season upcoming, 7x pro-bowl), and Shaun Suisham (12th season upcoming, no pro-bowl)

Everyone of the Ravens 5 highest paid at their position from the AFCN have been elected to the pro-bowl (Jacoby had other plans and had to pass on the pro-bowl this year), while 3 of the 8 Steelers highest paid at their position in the AFCN have never been voted in. I know the pro-bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest (since JO got voted in for his last season with the Ravens when he only started 10 games), but it does show the respect the other players and coaches have for each player.

Only one of the five Ravens players have played for 9 or more seasons, while five of the eight Steelers players have played for 9 or more seasons. It does show how the Ravens are more than willing to cut ties to the older players if they feel they have more talented players coming up. I feel the Steelers organization is afraid of change while the Ravens embrace change.

Blog Entries

Personally I don't put a lot of stock in pro bowls or use them as a gauge of a player's value

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!