Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Republicans are a party of bad ideas and Democrats are a party of no ideas. A Republican stands up and says "I got a really bad idea!" and then the Democrat stands up and says "And I can make it shittier!"

-Lewis Black

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    On an inverse note perhaps...the "my guy/gal is great" syndrome needs to stop.

Last fall only 15% of Americans approved of Congress' performance. (This spring it's 10%.) Yet... Back in November 90% of sitting congressmen won their elections.

And most want term limits?
    We're a nation of fools.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: Virulent Racism in the Republican Party

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

Last fall only 15% of Americans approved of Congress' performance. (This spring it's 10%.) Yet... Back in November 90% of sitting congressmen won their elections.

We're a nation of fools.
    But but but... it's not my guy... it's the other party that's the problem. :grbac:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

We're a nation of fools.
    Fools? No.

Lazy? Inherently.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Fools? No.

Lazy? Inherently.

Truer words never spoken.

"it is a constant law of human nature that the more a man has to indulge in, the less disposed he is to endure the discipline of toil-that is to say, the less willing he is to produce that which is to be consumed. Labor ceases to be functional in life; it becomes something that is grudgingly traded for that competence, or that superfluity, which everyone has a "right" to. A society spoiled in this manner may be compared to a drunkard: the more he imbibes the less is he able to work and acquire the means to indulge his habit. A great material establishment, by its very temptation to luxuriousness, unfits the owner for the labor necessary to maintain it, as has been observed countless times in the histories of individuals and of nations."

-Richard Weaver, Ideas Have Consequences
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Democrat legislator, Ryan Winkler of MN just called Justice Thomas an "Uncle Tom" on Twitter.

It has since been deleted and he's issued an apology.

RepRyanWinkler 12:02pm via web

@atrupar I did not understand "Uncle Tom" as a racist term, and there seems to be some debate about it. I do apologize for it, however.

Blog Entries

There is a debate that Uncle Tom is racist term?????

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    There is a debate that Uncle Tom is racist term?????
    Dems are allowed to use the term since they are in the right all the time.

Hello fam, I've been away for awhile...but your favorite Air Force veteran is back.

Now back to the matter at hand.

I think people are being a bit too dismissive of this issue raised by ak. The attitude that "both sides do it so it's ok" is not a legimate point. We should hold our political leaders to a high standard by pointing out when they're behavior is sub par. Pandering to a base and creating a hostile political environment should not acceptable. Whatever you call this rhetoric, racist, sexist, etc. doesn't matter. America should be above that. I may be more of an idealist here than usual.

The problem with the words used by Republicans and Democrats is that it creates a climate of hate and prejudice. There are 4 types of speech that create this type of environment:

False Facts - used to validate the hosts’ points and to promote public opinion
    Flawed Argumentation - further categorized by flaw: ad hominem, guilt by association, hidden assumption or missing premise, misrepresentation of opponent’s position, appeal to fear, fallacious appeal to authority, and innuendo
    Divisive Language - frequently placed into an “us versus them” framework.
    Dehumanizing Metaphors - which often evoked warfare, enemies, criminality, persecution, corruption, evil, animality, disease, and conspiracy

Sound familiar? Sounds like American politics in the 21st Century. How did this breakdown in political discussion occur? I'm not sure. It seems since 9/11 alot has changed. Not saying 9/11 is a direct cause, just since that day the US has never been the same for a number of reasons.

How do we restore sanity into the national dialogue? First one political party doesn't hold a monopoly on righteousness. Both leave alot to be desired. Second we should actually pay attention to when people point out when and how this "covert hate speech" is used. Dismissing people outright is in part how we got here to begin with.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Let's try to re-group.

So each political party uses certain terms, phrases, "code words" with their political base to...wait for it....

GET ELECTED

But at the end of the day, what they actually implement in terms of social welfare / foreign / economic policy is really no different than the "other" party.

Let me know when you catch up and then we can have a serious discussion on the issues without the silly party masks.
    Rambling, incoherent, and myriad other adjectives, but most of all barely relevant to my original point.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

The only person I see in this thread that thinks these "coded" words are inferring to blacks, hispanics or any other minority is you.
    Fortunately, this thread is the beginning and end of the whole world and contains all the people therein. That way, if only I mention an issue on a thread with five participants, then my point is invalid.

(/sarcasm)

If you (the royal you) think or assume that when someone says "handouts" or welfare" that they are trying to code their language and I don't uncode it to mean a black person but you do, who is the racist?
    1) Just because you (both you personally and the royal you) do not acknowledge or see something does not mean the something isn't real. 2) It's a common mistake people make: calling people racist is racist! Uh, no, it's not. Making unfounded assumptions about the character traits of people based on what race they are is racist. Noticing it when people are being racist is not racist.
    Last edited by akashicrecorder; 06-25-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Hello fam, I've been away for awhile...but your favorite Air Force veteran is back.

Now back to the matter at hand.

I think people are being a bit too dismissive of this issue raised by ak. The attitude that "both sides do it so it's ok" is not a legimate point. We should hold our political leaders to a high standard by pointing out when they're behavior is sub par. Pandering to a base and creating a hostile political environment should not acceptable. Whatever you call this rhetoric, racist, sexist, etc. doesn't matter. America should be above that. I may be more of an idealist here than usual.

The problem with the words used by Republicans and Democrats is that it creates a climate of hate and prejudice. There are 4 types of speech that create this type of environment:

False Facts - used to validate the hosts’ points and to promote public opinion
    Flawed Argumentation - further categorized by flaw: ad hominem, guilt by association, hidden assumption or missing premise, misrepresentation of opponent’s position, appeal to fear, fallacious appeal to authority, and innuendo
    Divisive Language - frequently placed into an “us versus them” framework.
    Dehumanizing Metaphors - which often evoked warfare, enemies, criminality, persecution, corruption, evil, animality, disease, and conspiracy

Sound familiar? Sounds like American politics in the 21st Century. How did this breakdown in political discussion occur? I'm not sure. It seems since 9/11 alot has changed. Not saying 9/11 is a direct cause, just since that day the US has never been the same for a number of reasons.

How do we restore sanity into the national dialogue? First one political party doesn't hold a monopoly on righteousness. Both leave alot to be desired. Second we should actually pay attention to when people point out when and how this "covert hate speech" is used. Dismissing people outright is in part how we got here to begin with.
    Nobody is making the "both sides do it so its ok" argument.

The argument that's being successfully portrayed is that one side is no better than the other when it comes to racism.

Both parties need to ferret out these scumbags. But one person here seems to think one party in particular is rainbows and puppy whiskers when it comes to race relations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    1) Just because you (both you personally and the royal you) do not acknowledge or see something does not mean the something isn't real. 2) It's a common mistake people make: calling people racist is racist! Uh, no, it's not. Making unfounded assumptions about the character traits of people based on what race they are is racist. Noticing it when people are being racist is not racist.
    I never said calling someone a racist is racist. Where did you get that from?

I said when you assume that something is racist that isn't racist e.g. "handouts" that means you were the one that thought "handouts" was racist, MAKING YOU THE RACIST.

Help me out folks, am I not explaining this properly or she playing stupid?