Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I'm not suggesting bar staff don't work hard, but they usually aren't serving up $7500 bottles of champagne now, are they. This instance can't be compared with the bar bill you and your buddies run up at Max's.
    Agreed.

It's much worse. The d-bag quotient in places like this is worth the 20% tip in of itself.

iggyman555 Guest

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I am most familiar with Mad River circa 2002-2010 ... not expensive.. not at all
    agreed,,,the only clubby thing about it was the room upstairs lol

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I'm not suggesting bar staff don't work hard, but they usually aren't serving up $7500 bottles of champagne now, are they. This instance can't be compared with the bar bill you and your buddies run up at Max's.
    yup

Reading through this thread I'm wondering something? Are we discussing why NFL players go broke, or tipping percentages?

My theory on why the tipping protocol went from 15% to 20% is so the burden of paying waiters is transferred from the employer to the customer. If restaurateurs would just charge 20% more for their menu items, and pay that to the servers, they could eliminate tipping all together.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Out of interest, do yous tip the cashier at the supermarket, or the assitant in clothes shops who help with getting correct sizes, or down the car wash? Or a anything else for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Out of interest, do yous tip the cashier at the supermarket, or the assitant in clothes shops who help with getting correct sizes, or down the car wash? Or a anything else for that matter
    Waiters, bartenders, hair stylists, bell men, valet parking attendants, and occasionally delivery people are most of the tipping occupations.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Not necessarily, because those people are protected by minimum wage law. However, because it is assumed by the Fed that service industry folks will make tips, they are allowed to be paid only $2.13/hour. So if you DON'T get tips, you make about $85 for a 40 hour workweek.

Interesting piece here. Not saying one should support the cause, but this part is shocking:

In 1991, a loaf of bread cost 70 cents, the average salary was $29,000, and the minimum wage for tipped employees was $2.13.

21 years later, bread costs $2.89, and American workers are taking home $40,000.

But the minimum wage for tipped employees is still $2.13.
    And by the way, yes I do tip the guys at the car wash. We tip a lot in this country.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Not to be a dick but --- if I order a $15,000 bottle of wine vs a $300 bottle of wine what should my tip be? The level of service is presumably the same. I would guess that a waitress who is entrusted to bring a $15,000 bottle of wine isn't being paid minimum wage and I doubt that the waitress with the $300 bottle of wine is either. There are some rules of thumb that don't scale. I don't know where the scale should stop but I do think that ridiculing a $1300 tip because you give 25% on your $80 bar bill is sort of ridiculous. Is the service that much better? And aren't you favoring the more privileged waiter/waitress over the harder working one.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingpneumonia View Post
    Not to be a dick but --- if I order a $15,000 bottle of wine vs a $300 bottle of wine what should my tip be? The level of service is presumably the same. I would guess that a waitress who is entrusted to bring a $15,000 bottle of wine isn't being paid minimum wage and I doubt that the waitress with the $300 bottle of wine is either. There are some rules of thumb that don't scale. I don't know where the scale should stop but I do think that ridiculing a $1300 tip because you give 25% on your $80 bar bill is sort of ridiculous. Is the service that much better? And aren't you favoring the more privileged waiter/waitress over the harder working one.
    Bin-go.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I would rather get 9% of a $16K bill than 100% of a $200 tab.

Yep. Context is everything.

On a side note, I think the whole gratuity thing is just a bullshit system that puts the onus of compensation on the customers and not the employer. Yes I understand the mindset behind it, but they could just as easily come up some sort of commission system.

I worked in the food industry as a line cook / short order cook for a good 5 years when I was in high school and up. It use to piss me off to no end when waiters/waitresses use to brag about how they walked away with $500 cash on busy nights, while I got stuck making, after taxes, $50 for an 8 hour shift. I busted my ass just as hard. I Get that they have to invest more time in each customer than I had to in each order I cooked, but that means they deserve 900% more compensation? My argument was always that yes, I understand you have to spend more time with your customers than I do with my orders, but you only have the customers assigned to your section. I have to deal with the the customers in every section.

Forgive my rant, just had to get that off my chest. It will never sit well with me.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

They don't make minimum wage, they make less. $2.13/hour.
    Last edited by Strange Bru; 06-16-2013 at 01:11 PM.