Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smith / Graham / Webb

It's encouraging the read all the stuff about how good both Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham look in OTA's.

Here's what I don't get: all the articles say that Smith and Graham are battling for the starting spot opposite Lardarius Webb. But Webb is rehabbing an ACL tear! Why wouldn't Smith and Graham open the season as the starters, while Webb works back to 100%?

No disrespect to Webb. I think he (when healthy) is one of the elite shut-down corners in the league. But he's not healthy. It will be week 6 before a full year has elapsed since the ACL tear. Doesn't make sense to me to pencil him in as the week 1 starter. Seems to me he should work his way back into the lineup; and when he's ready to play, maybe he should begin as the 3rd corner until he's 100%. Esp since Smith and Graham are playing so well.

ACL tear rehab has taken leaps and strides over the past few years.

The "Norm" is a lot different then when he hurt his other knee. If Suggs, Ray, etc can bounce back faster then before, I don't see why Webb should be any different.

The science behind the rehab is just amazing right now.

Blog Entries

Re: Smith / Graham / Webb

Yeah it's called HGH. :P
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    ACL tear rehab has taken leaps and strides over the past few years.

The "Norm" is a lot different then when he hurt his other knee. If Suggs, Ray, etc can bounce back faster then before, I don't see why Webb should be any different.

The science behind the rehab is just amazing right now.
    As is the surgery itself. It used to be a large incesion down the center of the knee (and I guess still could be) Now they can make wo small ones on the side to go in and repair it.

Blog Entries

When Webb had his previous ACL, it was about Week 15 of the 2009 season. He was able to play in Week 2 of the 2010 season. Now, he probably wasn't 100%, but that's a recovery of mid-December to mid-September, roughly 9 months. So, 9 months from mid-October is mid-July. Not all ACLs are the same, but it would seem a good chance he's not on PUP to start TC, thus he has a full camp to workout returning to form.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    ACL tear rehab has taken leaps and strides over the past few years....The science behind the rehab is just amazing right now.
    THIS!!^
    ACL injuries, though serious, are not the same setback they were even 4 years ago.

Welker & Peterson were 2 prime examples that come to mind. Will be interesting to see how Heath Miller recovers from the five car pileup his knee took late last season

Blog Entries

its only 3 years later. I dont believe medical advances have been that dramatic since then. since the 2000s, certainly. since 2010? not really. Not everybody is Peterson. We all heal differently and Webbs own history is more telling than somebody elses.

Its just a positive write-up. Webb is a starter when healthy and everyone is still hopeful he is by TC or the beginning of the season at the least. Hes ahead of schedule compared to his 2010 season simply because of the timing of the injury, but i dont expect him to be 2011 Webb until part way through the season. That said, its going to be hard to keep him off the field. even at 80-85% hes likely still our best CB. whether thats the best for he and the team longterm is for him and Harbs to figure out.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Yeah it's called HGH. :P
    That's affirmative, ghost rider.

Google "advances in ACL tear rehab" and volumes of scholarly studies come up. The abstracts talk about recent advances in the past year or two, let alone 4.

He will also be in a better position to rehab th time around, knows what works and can minimise mistakes he made first time. At worst he's pup, but I don't think I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    When Webb had his previous ACL, it was about Week 15 of the 2009 season. He was able to play in Week 2 of the 2010 season. Now, he probably wasn't 100%, but that's a recovery of mid-December to mid-September, roughly 9 months. So, 9 months from mid-October is mid-July. Not all ACLs are the same, but it would seem a good chance he's not on PUP to start TC, thus he has a full camp to workout returning to form.
    Webb played terribly through all of 2010 and later admitted that he did not feel confident in his knee until training camp of 2011. The traditional 7-9 month timeframe given for ACL rehab is just to get the ligament and surrounding structures back to maximum effectiveness. It takes longer than that to get to 100% mentally.

We have no idea what Webb's status is. Of course the team sources are saying his rehab is going swimmingly, but ACL rehab didn't all of a sudden become a piece of cake once one guy named Adrian Peterson made it look easy. Webb could easily hit a snag in his rehab any day now and get held back. He could take a long time to get confidence in his knee back. Any number of things could happen.

Ultimately I agree with the OP that nothing is to be taken for granted with Webb right now. IMO he isn't even on the CB depth chart at this point and won't be until he proves himself at 100%, not 85% or 90% or whatever. Jerry Rice astounded everyone when he came back from his ACL in like 4 months, but his first game back he busted up his knee because he didn't rehab right. The same thing has already happened with Webb rushing back in 2010 before he was ready and it was lucky he didn't re-injure himself that year, too.

Blog Entries

Webb's issue, as Bmorecareful eluded to, will be mental. From a physical standpoint, he will be healthy. I just feel that he'll need to see the field in real game time situations, in order to overcome the mental obstacles that come with recovering from an injury. That timeframe is less likely to change, so waiting until week 6 to start it will only prolong the mental struggle.

It helps that the team has solid CBs to help produce, while he puts it all back together. Of course, that could all change. Jimmy will be a starter as long as he's healthy. That's how good he can be. Corey Graham has shown that he can be a starter and not damage you like a Frank Walker (Penalties) or a Chris Carr (Too much cushion). Chykie Brown is a guy who could also prove himself to be of starting potential. He had a good 2012 season. He just struggled to handle the mental intensity of the playoffs. However, I don't think that should be an indictment of how he will always perform in the postseason. He could come back stronger.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore